• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

18.5" Shockwave Legal Questions

bodark

.22LR
1. If I buy a Shockwave with an 18.5" barrel with the birds head grip, is it legal to replace the birds head grip with a regular butt stock?

2. If I buy a 590 with a regular butt stock, is it legal to install a birds head grip instead of the regular stock?

Thank you.

Others will chime in, but as far as I know, the 18.5” barrel allows you to use the birds head, a full stock and even a pistol grip on the 590 platform. All the Shockwave “issues” are derived from the 14” barrel making it a firearm as opposed to the plain old shotgun designation you are describing. An 18+ barrel and a 26+” overall length makes you golden in every respect.

My reply in red

1. If I buy a Shockwave with an 18.5" barrel with the birds head grip, is it legal to replace the birds head grip with a regular butt stock?

Yes.

18 inch barrel is a regular long gun (title 1) weapon.

2. If I buy a 590 with a regular butt stock, is it legal to install a birds head grip instead of the regular stock?

I'm assuming you meant a 590 shotgun with an 18 inch (or longer) barrel. If so, the answer again would be YES. You can use either a stock or a grip.

As Rodburner has so elequently answered, it's the 14 inch shockwave 590 FIREARM that you have to be REALLY careful with if you change anything or look at it wrong.

18 inch version of the 590 is a regular long gun. It doesn't matter what kind of stock or grip you use on them.

Mossberg even has a model of the 500 with an 18 inch barrel that includes both the grip and a stock.

Just my opinion, but you are making the smart call with the 18.5” barrel, whether your dealer calls it a shockwave or not. That 14” barrel has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me, in regard to modifications and customization. The longer barrel does away with the stink eye you would get at the range, adds more shells in the mag tube and gives you more places to hang crap off the gun, all while making it only barely longer in tight quarters..

Thanks, Rodburner. As I was considering all of this, I realized I wanted the 18.5" barrel for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Then, I took another turn. I have Maverick 88 with a 20" barrel. I tried a Hogue pistol grip on it, but it made it hard to actuate the slide release. When I learned about the advantages of the bird's head grip, I have decided to put one on my Maverick. For $30 I can have a 20" semi-Shockwave that I can evaluate before I spend the money on a REAL Shockwave. Thank you for your input!

I have a feeling you’re about to save $450.lol Getting a new gun to lose an inch and a half of barrel, and then relearning to use the top safety, is kinda,uh….lol My shockwave doesn’t say shockwave anywhere on it, so……good luck

Back