• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SURVIVAL KNIVES

IMGP0446.jpg

Top To Bottom

Gerber Gator Machete
British Service No. 1 Kukri (straight from Kathmandu Nepal)
Ka-Bar knife

Very nice akgunnut !!

I also have a kukri...how did yours find it's way from Nepal to you ?!

51Oo1GLKctL.jpg

I am a fan of this knife, a Becker BK-2. Everything I like in a good knife; carbon steel blade, thick spine, tough point, holds an edge for a long time.

This is not my photo, but my knife is just like it.

That does look like a good design...and if holds an edge... ;)

y5unype7.jpg

This my little collection. The Rambo looking knife is special to me. It was my dads from when he was in the military back in the early 80's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I really want to like the Gerber LMF but I like plain edges on my fixed blades. They seriously need to make one without serrations so I will buy one. I do want the Bear Grylls one now that they make it without serrations.

For anyone interested in knife kits, woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/ has a sale on till the end of May. You have to make your own grips, but everything else is included. I can't vouch for the steel, but it's probably a common knife steel.
5-17-wr-knifekits.jpg

Not your typical "survival" type knives but all of these have and still see use in the woods and on the trails. I will say that all the knives themselves are great but I am a sheath snob and very few of them are up to my standards. My favorites are probably the ESEE blades. The perfect combination of quality knife and sheaths. I love the Spyderco Moran and it is probably the sharpest out of all of them still. And although I wouldn't stand a chance in a Rambo type knife fight with them, I have never needed more than my Izula or Izula 2 when in the woods. Especially with the sheaths set up the way I have them.

20130531_130850_zps93727a30.jpg

20130531_130806_zpsed69b701.jpg

20130531_130746_zpsb1e353df.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks for the heads-up Gunny.

Looks like a pretty cool little starter kit...

Yer welcome. I started on the grips/sheath yesterday, but that's another thread.

Maybe I have a different definition of a "survival" knife than other folks. To me a survival knife is whatever blade I happen to have on my person that is going to help me survive if the occasion arises. Doesn't necessarily have to be big and bad with all kinds of tactical stuff in it or on it. In fact, the only blade I commonly carry is a 2" lockback on my keychain :mrgreen: .

Sometimes I'll strap on my old Buck 110, fixed blade, or a multi-tool; sometimes a old WWII Camilus machete or ax. Don't have a need for a compass, matches, condoms, or 3 days worth of grub in a blade. If it cuts it's good ;) :mrgreen: .

GunnyGene said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks for the heads-up Gunny.

Looks like a pretty cool little starter kit...

Yer welcome. I started on the grips/sheath yesterday, but that's another thread.

Maybe I have a different definition of a "survival" knife than other folks. To me a survival knife is whatever blade I happen to have on my person that is going to help me survive if the occasion arises. Doesn't necessarily have to be big and bad with all kinds of tactical stuff in it or on it. In fact, the only blade I commonly carry is a 2" lockback on my keychain :mrgreen: .

Sometimes I'll strap on my old Buck 110, fixed blade, or a multi-tool; sometimes a old WWII Camilus machete or ax. Don't have a need for a compass, matches, condoms, or 3 days worth of grub in a blade. If it cuts it's good ;) :mrgreen: .

I have the same definition ad well. I always have my Spyderco Paramilitary in my pocket. I have always found the smaller fixed blades more useful than my larger ones.

Back