• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Side Saddles and Shell Holders

Re: Mesa Tactical Shell Holder

Have you ever known me to deviate from the traditional?

Hello, guys

I'm IPSC shooter and use Mossberg 590. I would like to add one or two carriage saddle on my shotgun on the right side of it for fast reloading like this
207904e1a20c18309a261670b0e367c5.jpg

Did anyone do this? How can implement this sidelock?

Kontiky, I'm not familiar with that exact shell holder, but I think its 3GunGear that makes something similar... I'll have to look it up and come back to this! ;)

There have been a few new manufactures of the Velcro side saddles lately so I decided to give one a try. Well here is my short review of the SKD Tactical ESSTAC side saddles.

Where to buy
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm

I have been running a Mesa 6 round side saddle for almost three years, and have been very pleased with it. Other than a few retention issues it has been a solid unit. The last shotgun class I took I got to use a friends gun that had the skd esstac saddle. I really loved using it durning long reloading drills. The cards were much faster in reloading. The versatility of being able to place the cards in standard ar15 mag pouches and every where else there is Velcro is very nice. I could reload off the gun until the saddle was out and then dump the card and pull out a new loaded card from a mag pouch and slap it on the gun and start tactical reload and then speed reload. I felt it was faster since I was not stripping single rounds from my belt to feed my Mesa side saddle. Well fast forward to the next week, I ordered 4 Ranger green SKD tactical ESSTAC shotgun cards. Since the cards do not come with the other side of the Velcro, that is up to you. I went to lowes and picked up some 2" x 4' industrial strength Velcro for 8 dollars. The size fits perfect. Just trim for the tapper rear of the receiver. Make sure you wipe down the area with some alcohol to prep the surface before you attach the Velcro. Let it stick for 24 hours for full cure. Also make sure you poke a small hole for the trigger pin for take down. So far I really like the saddles. the price is right at 15 dollars each. They currently come in black, FDE, and ranger green. I choose the SKD tactcals over the 3 gun gear due to the slots are not angled and the para cord loop. They are MADE IN THE USA!! These were pluses for me. Ok enough talk more pics.
Mmmm. Federal flight control 00buck shot and new toys for an up coming class
963df957.jpg

9326772d.jpg

6858a138.jpg

5a64f3c2.jpg

d3fe7dc2.jpg

63e33d7d.jpg

7f625c6a.jpg

16b603b9.jpg

Final thoughts......yes I would recommend this to other members. The saddles are very high quality! MADE IN THE USA! Have great retention, and are very fast in reloads. I love the seven rounds over the six on the Mesa. I like the cost over the vang comp, though they are not the same. A+ product!

Nicely done man!!! Really nice pics too!

I see some other stuff in there as well, sling and sling mounts? You mind addin those to the sling section? I love information!!!

I'm also envious of that case of LE13300!!! :D

Rossignol said:
Nicely done man!!! Really nice pics too!

I see some other stuff in there as well, sling and sling mounts? You mind addin those to the sling section? I love information!!!

I'm also envious of that case of LE13300!!! :D
No problem! I will do a write up on those as well. I really impressed with the LE13300 it's one heck of a round. Happy Memorial day! :D

nitesite said:
C.Edwards said:
I went with the esstac after seeing Kentucky's .

Untitled-3.jpg

WOOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ugeek:

Thinks I think. Here is a picture of the tactical :? velcro that holds on the shell holder in case someone wonders.

P1140008.jpg

never mind m4shooter had some pictured above and his picture is way better

I have the 590 Special Purpose and I installed the Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Carrier 8-shell holder. My forend is the ERGO three rail (p/n 4865) With a Magpul AFG2 and ERGO Hand stop. No problems with pinching or cycling here.
My only issue was the AFG2 "Wings" extending up along the sides and preventing installation onto the ERGO Three-Rail forend. Shaved off the "Wings" using a grinder and wire wheel at work. No problems. Looks good, provides the same hand protection and fits like it was made that way on purpose by Magpul. :)

"Nice!

Good to see that you were able to make the AFG work..."

Thank's LES. I'll get some pictures up soon. I took some video of our first shoot. Me and my two sons went to the Clark County Shooting Park here in Las Vegas.

Can I post video on here or just links to where the video can be found?

I'll bet you guys had a great time!

Sure, you can post up videos if you'd like or links are fine as well...

Me and my boys on the maiden voyage...

I laughed as soon as I fired the first shot and saw where it hit... POW! Right in the kisser! :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mPCAGHpc7k[/youtube]

My 19 year old son Benjamin accidentally ejected the first round before he even started. :oops:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjxEjtLtbI[/youtube]

My 15 year old son Gabriel. This is the first time for both of them firing a shotgun. :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlAbJWuQw8[/youtube]

Back