• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Targets

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
What kind of targets do you like to use? Where do you usually purchase them? Let's see some pics and discussion...

B27 and b29. Sometimes i use the ice osama bin laden target. Get em at the range when I go. About a dollar a piece. I use them for pistol, and shotgun use. Dont have a rfile at this time so.

B27 birdshot
IMAG0041.jpg

B27 buckshot
IMAG0042.jpg

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

For pistols, AR, and shotgun (range only allows slugs) I mostly shoot these Birchwood Casey 'Dirty Bird' 8" multi-color shoot 'n see targets...

I get them at Walmart for about $12 per pack of twenty.

I also like their Dirty Bird 12" Sight-In targets when shooting my bolt guns...

I usually get these at Bass Pro for about $10 per dozen.

I'm ashamed that I'm a cheap SOB. I use 9" white paper picnic plates, and use a black magic marker to make my bullseye, and I nail them up on a tree or if at gun range I'll staple them on the backboard. You can see them quite clearly as far off as 250yds, but at that distance you do need a spotting scope. What's good about them is if you don't get a bullseye is you'll see the dark background color, and if you don't see your shots, you know you hit whatever size circle you made for the bullseye. Cheap. Effective. and only around $3.00 for package of 50. You can also use other markers and be as effective if background would interfer with a black marker. If I need to zero a new scope, I don't use a marker, as I just stand off 10 yds to get an indication as to where I'm hitting then do a quick scope adjust(as long as it's a small adjustment) until on paper, then I put a circle on plate, or find out what's wrong with scope, or mount. If all's OK, I'll then measure off yardage that I want my rifle/pistol to shoot at for my distance to get that game animal.
Del

I mostly print my Targets on 8.5x11 paper
Scaled silhouettes used to simulate different ranges.
If I need larger targets, take a file to Kinkos and print it on larger paper or even a light cardstock
WAY cheaper than buying targets

Sounds good Del, done it myself. The price of AR500 steel is steep but it offers a lifetime of shooting and in the long run far cheaper than buying a pack of shoot-n-see type targets every couple times you shoot. And you can paint whatever you like on them…..and the “ping “can’t be beat.

100 yard damage couple steel core 5.56 and some 30-06 fmj
IMAG0117.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

VIDEO slugs at 30 yards

Compared to t-1 hardened steel. The hole is a 300 win mag and the rest are steel core 5.56 100 yard, couple close handgun shots.Handguns dont hurt it, rifles bang it up good.
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

dosent last long

For patterning shot or grouping I have a pile of 30 year old NRA targets and some odd and end grid targets
IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Unfortunately, the only local outdoor range requires paper targets and does not allow silhouettes. I like the shoot 'n sees 'cause I have a hard time seeing my shots on most paper targets.

When I go out to my buddy's farm we'll tack up balloons to target boards from 100yds out to 500yds. You can blow them up to different sizes for varying degrees of difficulty. It's a lot of fun taking turns popping ballons and having a spotter call your shots.

FBI "Q" targets. Hits show up better than B-27s and I don't bother with scoring rings.

FBI_Q.gif

I've downloaded and printed hundreds of 8.5"x11" free targets off the interwebz.

Pizza boxes (the back usually has a little recycle logo in the center on the back).

9" paper plates for handgun. Shoot once and that hole becomes your bullseye to further shoot at.

HERE are some FREE printable targets courtesy of the NSSF.

HERE are some FREE printable rifle targets on .pdf courtesy of Midway.

HERE are some FREE printable pistol targets on .pdf courtesy of Midway.

To the CSOBs, you're welcome... ;)

30623a0038dc7f7a9dfff31c81d1ad98.jpg

These are my favorite for long range shooting in the wind. Easier to pick up with my spotting scope

These days I'm pretty much just using plain contractor's paper...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-35-in-x-140-ft-Brown-Builder-s-Paper-35140/202040749

140' for about $10 and it last a pretty good while. All you need is a knife to cut it to fit your target and a fat sharpie to draw your target...

Takes a little more cutting for smaller targets, but makes a lot of sense for patterning shotguns or just for practice. You can draw dots, X's, circles, or even full silhouettes I you're so inclined. Either way it's a really cheap option for something you're just gonna end up blowing holes in anyway...

Great idea with the contractors paper.

How's the new 88 shooting ?

It depends on the location I am shooting at.

If it's my family range, it's all steel or if I am zero'ing I use a full sheet of poster paper taped or stapled to the target stand.

If I'm at the other place (public land) where I can get a couple hundred yard shot, then it's usually whatever I can find laying around up there to shoot at. or poster paper.

But my favorite is shooting steel. Here's one that my middle son got for Christmas. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Shoot...207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8c75837

Back