• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: 500A "System"

Yes. The rifled barrel is for shots out to 100-150 yards, and as mentioned, the set-up gets pretty heavy. I could not hold it still enough off-hand.

Re: 500A "System"

Thanks. Its really a testimony to the great versatility of this gun. For surprisingly little money, you can have a bird gun, a sporting gun, a home defense gun, a small game hunter, and a big game hunter.
I put this together for under $600 with no quality issues or worries. I cant think of another gun that can boast that capability.

Re: Which Mossberg 500 Do You Have?

I have a Mossberg 500 ATP . synthetic pistol grip stock, pistol grip fore-end. , ATS ghost ring sights on heatshield(cheap but functions great), and a 18.5" barrel.
shotty.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

Question does anybody know when the A.T.P. model was manufactured. i know it was the old military , and LEO version before the 590a1. Just wondering about how old this gun is.

Justin, glad you found your way! :)

Looks like that was the best Christmas ever!

On the ATP model, the folks who can best answer that would be the Havlins, Victor or Cheryl, of Havlin Sales. If you call you'll most likely get Victor. If you wanna get into computer tech stuff like emails and such, he'll hand the phone off to Cheryl! lol!

But seriously, if its a Mossberg, they know what the heck it is and the dates it was in production!

I'll find the thread on here with their info and add it as an edit. So if youre reading this and dont see anotation below, check back, I'll have it soon!

EDIT:

Here is the link to the Havlin thread.
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=283&sid=77a7eef86342431e0edc7256c743a625

No problem Justin, its what I'm here for man!

I e-mailed those people. I think it was there buisness e- mail address though. Oh well I asked pretty please hopefully I get a responce.

It may take a little while Justin. I think Cheryl is the one who check all the emails, and she gets nearly 100 emails a day. If you call, you'll likely get an answer. Mention you saw their info here! ;)

For those of us that are confused about the 500 A.T.P I have found the answer. this is the email reply i have gotten from the experts.

Sure thing

made approx 1978-1986 (send me your serial number and I can narrow that down for you)

A = 12 ga
TP = tactical police

This was a series of LE/Police shotguns with special purpose barels, stocks, accessories like heat shields, pistol grips, 18.5" barrels, some with sling stud in the barrel lug and even accessoty (bayonet) lugs on the 8-shot versions.

They still make these configurations and a whole lot more in the tactical field, but the just stopped stamping all the letters on the receiver . They just use 500A for all versions because the receivers and internal parts are all the same. Asyou know, with interchangeable barrels and stocks and a number of after-market accessory companies out there, within 5 minutes you could change a tactical shotgun to a sporting version and vice versa.

Thanks for your inquiry

Havlin Sales/Mossberg Collectors

On 11 Jan 2011 04:42:16 -0600

Dude! They got you hooked up! Knew they were the go to folks! ;)

Mossberg 500 AT

I recently purchased a used 12 gauge 500 AT. In searching the internet trying to find out what the 'AT' stands for I found this forum and decided to join. Can anyone tell me what the AT means? "A" indicates a 12 gauge I believe but what about the "T"? I purchased the gun to shorten the barrel to about 20" for a house and car gun. The existing barrel is a 30" full choke chambered for 3" shells. A seller on Gunbroker stated that this barrel is no longer made. Is this a common as dirt barrel or one that should be left as is and traded to someone?

Back