• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Breaking in a pump gun.

Hey guys, I was wondering your opinions on do's and don'ts on breaking in a pump. Specifically a 590A1. The one I played with at the store was pretty stiff. Don't have it quite yet but will very soon. (They did not have the one I wanted at the time so they have to order it.) I was just going to break it down clean, lube, and shoot 100 rounds of #8, maybe a few rounds of buckshot also. Then clean and lube again.

With my 590A1, Steve, I did just what you mentioned. Broke it down, cleaned the grease off everything, put a couple hundred rounds of different types of shot, (from #4 shot to #8, some high speed around 1600 fps, then full power slugs). Afterwards, broke it down again and cleaned and lubed with some Rem oil. It is a stiff gun at first, but it loosens up some. The action remains solid feeling and crisp, trigger is what youd expect, I dont know that it will ever be as slick as a Win. 1300, those tend to become as smooth as glass. So its a firm solid gun, and after several hundred rounds in the time I have had mine, its smoother, but all the action is very positive feeling to me, meaning you can feel it working, each part distinctively.

Only thing I really feel I need to change on mine is the LOP, but thats another topic! :)

The LOP was one issue I'm thinking I may have trouble with. I'm only about 5 foot 6 with matching arms lol. I'm going to look into a synthetic youth stock if one can be found for a good price.

Yup! I'm about 5 10, and I think the LOP is right around 14 3/8". For the stock, you can order directly from Mossberg, or contact Havlin Sales. Another option is the Hogue short LOP (12"), for about $60, thats thre direction I'll be goin. Its comfy, lol!

BTW, there is a link somewhere for Havlin Sales, under the sub-forum "Past Present and Future of Mossberg". Mossberg has told me, the Havlins are the "go to folks" for anything you are looking for.

Ninja Steve, I break them in just as you posted. Disassemble everything , clean , oil and reassemble, then shoot the heck out of it. Then repeat.
One thing to remember is don't over oil it. If you do and you are out in freezing temps the oil may jell and/or freeze and the gun wont fire. During dry warm times ,the oil will attract debris and actually get dirtier than it would if it was dry.
When oiling it do not just get the oil can and start spraying everything down. When I oil I use one finger and one drop MAYBEE two drops at most. I drop the oil drop on my finger tip and rub it over all moving parts while disassembled.
And remember, WD40 is NOT a lubricant.

JB

Well I found a used 590 Mariner for the right price and bought it. It was still pretty tight. But she loosened up a bit after awhile. I still have about 50 shells of the cheap stuff to run through it and I'll probably buy another 100 next weekend. Very happy with it so far.

I'm a short fella as well, 5' 5". I bought the knoxx spec ops stock for my 590A1 and actually shot with this new config for the first time today and it is a sweet setup. At the shortest setting on the Knoxx stock the gun can be handled by very small people and pistol grip is great too. My Benelli Supernova has a very long LOP and seems is something I may need to address which with the Supernova more than likely won't be cheap to do..

Good luck with your new Mariner, love those babys..

Back