• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

If you want something a little different, google duracoat, its a specially designed paint just for guns. Doesnt chip, scratch, wear off, it actually becomes more durable over time. It airbrushes on, and if you dont have a compressor, they sell a can of airbrush propellant to DIY. All the colors are mixable, so you can literally make any color, plus you can choose your own sheen level. Bonds to blueing, steel, synthetics, wood, and it bonds especially well to parkerized finishes. http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/ is the website. Here are some samples, I think you get the general idea.
102_0193LG.jpg
usabatglock1.jpg
MosAfg-12.jpg

Yep, I'm diggin the duracoat and will be sending my blued Persuader out in the near future to one of our forum members for some custom urban camo with a little coyote tan!

So call it another vote for the duracoat!

I've also painted a few guns with duracoat . One thing I did was warm the disassembled receiver with a hair dryer. Then quickly paint it while still warm.
Use multiple thin coats.

Good luck on your project.
JB

500AT Pump Slide Removal

First post! This place seems like a great resource. I searched this forum and google and still can not resolve my problem with removing the 500AT slide.

On all the disassembly videos once the bolt comes out the slide should just come right off. In my case, it is catching on something and will not come free. From the way its moving and the sound it makes when it hits whatever is stopping it the problem is on the mag tube.

This guy: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=287194 had the same problem as me. He was advised to remove the mag tube, but I can't get mine to unscrew either.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I just got my new slide shipped to me and would like to get it installed before my front vertical grip is here. Thanks!

Re: 500AT Pump Slide Removal

Hmmm, I've never had one get hung up and not come out. So you have the bolt out, and the action should slide forward... there is a bit of a catch in the receiver, but a little manipulation should free it.

I cant think of any natural reason for the mag tube to have to come out to get the slide off.

I'm hopin some one else can shed some light on this.

Sometimes squeezing inwards on the slides and forcing a bit of pressure up and or down will allow the slide to come out. This is a new one to me that's for sure and good luck getting it off..

Thanks for the help guys, still haven't gotten it off though. It definitely does not just slide off like most 500s. Whenever I get my hands on something to grip the mag tube like a rubber strap wrench (or whatever its really called) I'm going to try to take that off.

I'll keep you all updated so we can answer any questions that may arise about it later on.

Dang dude... dang. Wish I could be more help to ya.

Got this from another site hope it helps.

The 500AT has a funky spiral sheet metal spring wrapped around the magazine tube--looks like some kind of buffer spring for the forend slide. unscrew the magazine tube and you can then remove the slide from the action.

Mossberg 500 Security/Field Combo Backordered?

I just ordered a 500 Security/Field Combo and was told that they are on backorder. Has anyone else encountered Mossberg 500 backorders recently?

Re: Mossberg 500 Security/Field Combo Backordered?

I know certain packages go on backorder at times. This has been more of a problem for the Mossberg 930 autoloader. Where did you order it from.

Re: Mossberg 500 Security/Field Combo Backordered?

Ordered it from the local gun shop in my home town of Wakefield, RI.

VHT designed for exhaust systems and headers for cars is a great way to paint. main thing on this is all your prep work needs to be good in order for the finish to be good. temps up to 2000 degrees but you must bake it at 3 different levels each time for 30 min with 30 min cool down times. engine block paint holds up very well also again prep work is everything.

Attachments

• mossy as bought.jpg
    mossy as bought.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,384
  • parts apart preprep work WOW.jpg
    parts apart preprep work WOW.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,384
  • VHT Flat Black.jpg
    VHT Flat Black.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,383
heres after i stripped her down 600 and 800 grit sanded her 3 layers of paint 3 baked sessions and some artzy lol paint on the base before and after some tactical pieces

awaiting a ati and black ops stock that will be put on and have a final buffing then about a 100 shells through her

Attachments

• side after paint and baked.jpg
    side after paint and baked.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,382
  • flat black tac light only.jpg
    flat black tac light only.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,381
  • with heat shield front dun.jpg
    with heat shield front dun.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2,380

Hi jeph.

Are you in the UK? or has your gun spent any time in the UK?

There is a modification carried out by proof house gunsmiths on UK guns to limit them to 3 shot,check the area where the mag tube meets the reciever and see if there is a little diamond mark stamped on it.

They remove the mag tube.
They fit a ring around the mag tube that has a pin projecting into the tube which stops more than 2 shells entering ,then they slide the forend tube on from the bottom of the tube and the tube wont slide over the ring .

Then they use some thread fix and screw the mag tube back in.

It gives similar problems to the one you have ,you can disconnect the action arms but not pull the forend tube off the mag tube or unscrew the mag tube.

How do i know this.......my 500 ATP has it done to comply with uk shotgun laws :(

Oh and hello all............ :mrgreen:

Hi Boon! Good insight, Thanks! Not something I had heard about before now, glad to have you on!!! ;)

Stuck Action Lock Lever

Anybody have this problem before ? I have a brand new never fired Mossberg 500 persuader. The action lock lever got stuck depressed and will not release. The forearm will not move even with the safety off and pulling the trigger(unloaded). I was going to practice dry firing with snap caps when this happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Stuck Action Lock Lever

Yep, About a month old. Only dry fired a handful of times with snap caps. I was playin' with the safety, forearm and the action lock lever when the lock got stuck.

Back