• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil Pad options for 590?

Cool! Lateck, if youre up to it, would you care to do a short review of the Limbsaver?

Rossignol said:
Cool! Lateck, if youre up to it, would you care to do a short review of the Limbsaver?
Thank you for asking. But, Norcal has done an outstanding review.
I'm not that good with the writen word. (Now if I were talking... I'd never shut up....)

But as Norcal posted it was a matter of two screws to change and it looks like it belongs there.
No extra LOP.
As for the felt recoil... With 2 3/4" shells the Winchester slugs felt like my 464, 30-30 :D
I have not shot any 3" shells through this 590 :cry:

Lateck,

You know, after I posted that, I remembered the other review being up there! Oooops! :lol: Thanks Lateck!!!

Picked up a Limb Saver pad for my 590 and so far, I'm loving it. Looking at the above posts and doing some measuring, I got the #10201. I drove out to Raahauge's and got in 50 rounds shooting at some clay just before they closed for the day. It's very cushy. :D

The one criticism I do have of it though is that being so soft and pliable it tends to catch any loose clothing like the button-down shirt I was wearing when I snuck out to the range. I suppose the criticism could be directed at *me* for not wearing a vest, but there ya have it.

Norcal 590, just got the Limbsaver off ebay and have a quick question. I can not get the bottom screw to bite into the stock for a tight fit? Wondering if I messed up :? ...any suggestions...trying to smith my new 590 myself to save money and learn at the same time.
thanks
officer dave

Officerdave,

I'm not norcal, but let me respond.

Are you using your original stock screws?

Also, I used a bit of water to lubricate the philips screwdriver that I used. I had to push the screw into the rubber of the pad pretty far, sinking the screw-head into the pad before it bit into the stock.

Beyond that, dunno.

My bad...I need to pull the bottom screw and use the original. I lubed the screw driver with Armorall and the top screw went in with no issue. Gun is at home so after shift I will work on it.
thanks !

Sounds like its similar to the Hogue recoil pad. I used a drop of liquid soap.

I had zero issues reusing the stock hardware. I did put a drop of armor all on the screwdriver shaft to help it through the pad.

I've also noticed that the pad tends to grab clothing or stick when I'm putting it in the soft case, but I don't really see it being an issue. The ability to shoot it with a t-shirt on and put a large number of shells through it without feeling the effects far outweighs the little nuisance.

Let us know how it performs when you get it installed!

Will

For my Spec-Ops stock, the old pad was the same as the Limbsaver and looks like it belongs there. Both were one inch thick. Got if from Optic Planet. Think it was $29 for it and the rubber grip for the Knox Spec-Ops.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Re: Re: Recoil Pad options for 590?

nasa said:
For my Spec-Ops stock, the old pad was the same as the Limbsaver and looks like it belongs there. Both were one inch thick. Got if from Optic Planet. Think it was $29 for it and the rubber grip for the Knox Spec-Ops.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Thanks to you i have that same limbsaver on mine

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Rossignol said:
Ahhhh, I see now! I was thinking something more like the Pachmayr... its a little different a recoil pad I guess but still just slips on.

images

The Pachmayr feels like a rock compared to the Sims Limbsaver. I have both, and I'm not that thrilled with the Pachmayr.

Does the pre-fit Limbsaver pad for the 500 also fit the 590A1? Are the socks on the 590A1 the same as the 500? I noticed that Limbsaver doesn't list a pad specifically for a 590/590A1. I want to make sure I order up the correct model.

This mod was on my list of things to do on my 590, then I got to thinking whats a recoil pad other than a rubber bumper. There's got to be a better way to mitigate recoil then putting more rubber or different rubber on the stock??? I think Black hawk compstock might be on the right track here. Though! there's few downsides to it. sling mounts, shotshell carriers, and thumb in the face when the recoil happens, but its worth a try???

KnoxxMossCompstock_450_450-1.jpg

Here's what it says:
"Combining modern technology with traditional design, the shotgun CompStock has been received with enthusiasm by sportsmen, competitive shooters, and law enforcement officials for its ability to reduce recoil with both light and heavy loads.
Law enforcement officers, who are required to qualify with a shotgun, will find that the CompStock is the secret to higher scores and better field results. Hunters and competitive shooters will find their hit ratios and scores improving as flinching and recoil anticipation dramatically decrease. The CompStock™ is the ideal choice for those seeking a recoil-reducing stock in a traditional design. Packaged with a composite forend, the CompStock™ is the perfect solution to the problem of recoil."

Mudinyeri said:
IMO, the LOP on the 590's stock is already waaaay too long for a defensive weapon. Adding a nice, fluffy Limbsaver, or similar pad, is going to make it even worse.

Are you using a push/pull grip on the weapon, norcal?

..a guy in a video here on this site just put his in a vice and sawed off some of the stock - then he
he put the pad on and wrapped it with electrical tape !! :eek:

I like the Comp Stock pictured above for a couple reasons.

Maintains factory mechanics of a traditional stock, no learning how to shoot all over again.

Its built on the Hogue short LOP.

Back