• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR- New Owners Area...

Stix

.22LR
I am a new member. Just purchase a Trophy hunter Combo in .308 today at Dick's. I have a few questions. Which of the following factory loading do you folks with the same rifle have the best accuracy with? I'm referring to either the remington corelokts 150/180 the winchester power points 150/180 or the federal power shock 150/180

Re: New Member / New Rifle

While I can't answer your question, welcome aboard. Don't forget to stop by the welcome area too.

I've had great results with either the CoreLokts(PSP) and the Federal PowerShocks(SP) in 150gr the best. Both will give me a bullseye the size of a Quarter at 100yds for up to 3 shots. After that the barrel is too hot and gives a barrel whip and opens up the grouping to around 5 to 6 inches. While still a killing shot for Deer, Elk or other large game, you have to know the rifle's limiting abilities when throwing downrange lots of bullets. Besides, it's usually never more than 2 rounds with a COLD BARREL anyway to drop that Deer. I've had all my Deer or paper targets die on the 1st shot. I've tried 165 and 180 grain factory shells and my rifle just doesn't like them and will throw a shot pattern up to 8 inches between 1st and 2nd rounds. However ALL rifles can be amazingly different in the loads they like best. Some may like 150gr while another rifle will like 200gr the best. What I mean by "BEST", is how well a rifle will group a (slow) 5-shot series of shots for the best pattern with that firearm, AND the ammo brand and bullet used. You'll know with 3 shots if rifle likes a particular ammo brand and bullet by how it groups those shots. Fire slow and let barrel cool down between shots, as these take days to gather info and not just a few hours. Don't forget to do a barrel break-in for rifle to shoot it's best, if you haven't done so. If you don't know what barrel break-in is, do a search or just repost a new question, so others can chime in with their experience(s) with this procedure, as this itself is time consuming, and requires lots of cleaning/shooting in the way it's done and how different it can be from different shooters'.
Del

I used CoreLokt for years in my 30-06’s. I switched to the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. They didn’t kill any better than the CoreLoct. Recently have been real happy with reloads my bud and I did at his place. Havent shot meat with them but I was shooting the little Redline bottles filled with Tannerite at 200 yards so thats beyond good enough for me.

My gun wont do about an inch at 100 yards. Granted this was on a day when it was like 110 deg F outside ambient. I am working on shooting all store bought ammo I've got now to make reloads to see what is possible.

I am hoping that during temps that I'd be liable to experience during hunting season it would shoot better because heat wouldn't be an issue.

Also, my gun was supposed to be "free floated" from the factory but it wasn't. The barrel was touching the plastic in some areas which I think almost for sure was causing issues.

I haven't shot it since shaving the stock but this would be something I'd check.

Here is my target with the brands of ammo listed. Shot Rem Core Lokts the best. Edited with MS paint for your ease of seeing what was performing and what wasn't.

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Big Welcome to the forum! Hope to see you posting often.

I don't think anyone can really answer your question but good luck, and have fun trying your rifle out!

i prefer lellier & Bellot out of the checz republic i use 180fmj and i always get a great spread when i target shoot. Plus its alot cheaper per 20 shell box than your off the walmart shelf brand

Was out on the range shooting my Trophy Hunter combo for the first time. 60 rounds later, I'm loving this rifle! I'm used to being kicked in the nuts by my 12 gauge, so the recoil from my new 30-06 wasn't all that bad. I'm still learning to use this so I stuck to the 50 yard target. Didn't do too bad. Need to get good at 50 yd before going out to 100. Very happy with my purchase so far!

I didn't use a gun vise. Just sandbags. Great at 50 yards. 100 yards will be the kicker. I tried shooting while standing and was around 70% within the 8 inch circle @ 50 yards. I'm still learning the gun but it's really fun.

Just purchased my 1st Mossberg gun even, its the 100 ATR2 Night Train3 in 308WIN OD GREEN M#27203. I shot it the other day for the 1st time and I really enjoyed it. The only thing I REALLY don't like is not having a lot are just a couple of options for aftermarket parts for this rifle.

welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new mossy.

you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Welcome, Welcome! I like the OD... its something you don't see everyday on a 100ATR! How's that cheek weld for ya? those rings look a bit high to get a good chipmunk weld on the stock ;)

Aksavanaman cheek weld is okay but I just order a Allen cheek rest off Amazon waiting for it to come in. The rings came from factory like that going to add a better scope and rings once I get more familiar with the that came with the rifle.

Right on... I was just curious... some folks seem fine with that set up :D Looking forward to your range report! My .30-06 ATR just printed a hair over 1" last time I went out... they can do more than people give them credit for!

I will be back with my range report sir. I'm glad to hear that, I was hoping and praying that it shot better then what people been saying about the ATR. Because I really wanted a AR15 RIFLE not a bolt action rifle. But instead I walked over to the rifle section and seen that ATR on that wall I picked it up and purchased it. A couple of days before I was in a gun shop looking at a lot of different rifles that you hear that out perform the ATR but I really didn't like the way they looked or felt in my hands. I just really hope that they will come out with aftermarketed parts for the ATR.

Back