• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

Re: HD Flashlight recommendations...plz

Kodiak said:
A good place to find discussion and reviews on lights is the Candle Power Forum.

Yep. Some serious flashaholics are over there. I'm a member, but just a lurker not a contributor. I'm not worthy! :lol:

Use their search feature and be prepared for hours upon hours of reading on just one topic.

I'm gettin ready to get the Coast light with tail cap switch and picatinny rail mount!

I've never used a weapons light, and I dont take it "lightly" :lol: but I do want to experiment with it to see if its right for me.

I'll let yall know when I get it!

Rossignol said:
I'm gettin ready to get the Coast light with tail cap switch and picatinny rail mount!

I've never used a weapons light, and I dont take it "lightly" :lol: but I do want to experiment with it to see if its right for me.

I'll let yall know when I get it!

Wow! Thanks Rossignol! I googled "Coast light with tail cap switch" to check it out, and found that they make tail cap switches for miniMaglights! I have 2 or 3 languishing because of the old "turn it on by rotating the bezel" thing! And multi LED replacements for the incandescent bulbs too!

Too cool! :lol:

Dan turned me on to these Blue! He has a couple of them now.

Biggest draw back, not made in the US.

Tactical Light

I just got a streamlight TRL-1 and a tri rail mount. I am extremely pleased with both of them. The tri rail was really easy to install and seems very durable.
1323461039350.jpg

1323461058495.jpg

Re: Tactical Light

been happy with my set up like that. The only thing is every great once in a while I tap the paddle and blind myself lol...still better for me as my environment would make short work of a pig tail wire

I have used that exact setup for a while and really like it as well.

I had been considering this setup for a couple weeks, and then I saw the review you had written up. I liked what you had to say about it, so I decided to go ahead and get it. Thanks for the awesome review

question/recommendations on light for M500

I'm researching lights & mounts for my Mossberg 500 Persuader. I have no experience with lights mounted on long guns. Having said that, I like the idea of having the light mounted on the forearm, and I think a tape switch would be the simplest to operate. I'm looking at this model: http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-and- ... -sale.html

Anyone have experience with this setup? Any other suggestions?

Re: question/recommendations on light for M500

oli700 said:
Why add it to the forend?

All the other setups I've seen have the light mounted in front of the forend, and you activate the light with your thumb via a tailcap switch. To me this seems awkward; you have to have your hand at the right place on the forend to hit the switch. I'd prefer to have the switch on the forend. I don't want the light mounted elsewhere (mag tube) because then I would need a cord from light to switch that could get tangled/caught on things. If everything is on the forend, that's not an issue.

I agree about the cord. A light on the forend is extra weight on a moving part, has potential to smack your support hand, less available space for your support hand, less options for support hand grip. The only advantage I can see is it is a couple inches closer to your hand so it can be turned on/off easier. Even the Surefire forend has to be heavier, and that swell has to get the support hand now and again. If you end up looking into a light for the mag tube the tlr1 is great. It has no tail cap button but a paddle that is easy to access with your index finger while it’s on the forend and you can use tlr1 on most handguns…although it won’t go on my Sigma and it won’t work with most sub compacts. Also no need for tools on and off the rail with the tlr1.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=260&p=1063&hilit=streamlight+tlr#p1063 Here you can see what I mean about the paddle. I run mine in the 3:00 position. I have had it in the 9:00 but used my thumb to turn it on as I am a righty. Settled on 3 to use my index finger….0.02

I have mine mounted on the mag tube. I, personally, don't have trouble activating it with my thumb. Here's a couple of pics on my 590. Notice it overlaps my forend a little to make it easier to activate the light. One of the nice features of the ZSM is you can add a sling mount or pic rail to the opposite side.

Elzetta ZSM w/ Streamlight Polytac LED light.

004.jpg

vest004-1.jpg

+1 on the TLR1. Great little light. I have an older Surefire mounted on my 930 the same way as Kodiak, only on the left side. Thumb activated and works well. Am planning to replace with another TLR1 to save weight.

I run the GG&G package you listed. It just plain works. I can use the intermittent feature on the provided polytac, and keep it on through the pump cycle with no trouble, or can release it at any time You mount the light on the magtube without a tape switch and you can't. You use a tape switch it's one more thing that can fail. Also you are limiting yourself to a specific list of lights that will work with it. I can take any 1 inch light and run it in the bracket, or run a TLR-1 type light. If the light has a push on intermittent function, I'm good to go.

Not trying to convince anybody. Everyone has to figure out what works for them. The GG&G is simple, rugged, and effective. I picked my 590a1 for the same reason. With the ability to use ANY 1 inch light I happen upon in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, it's also extremely versatile :lol: .

tcecil88 said:
+1 on the TLR1. Great little light. I have an older Surefire mounted on my 930 the same way as Kodiak, only on the left side. Thumb activated and works well. Am planning to replace with another TLR1 to save weight.

Another +1 on a TLR1. I have it mounted on my G19 EDC and it I can attest to the fact that it is one durable little light.

I have not utilized it on a long. The ergonomics seemed weird to me on that platform (just personal preference), but it is a solid little light.

Back