• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Troubleshooting

Re: 464 brush gun loading problems

I got the rifle back after 5 weeks. I took the gun to the range and 20 rounds later, the band broke again and the rifle is not loading correctly...going back to the factory

Issue: Shell failure to feed from the magazine tube at random; will not feed from the link onto the lift gate about one in every ten shells.

Potential Cause: Over-lubing. You've probably given your 464 too much love; in my case, too much CLP Breakfree .Reducing and increasing spring tension did not work, nor disassembly of mag tube parts.

Solution: Let it soak, dry out, take a can of compressed air or something to reduce the amount of lubricant in the action. My 464 seems to like to run drier than some of my other rifles. Normal operation resumed within a week.

I have the 30-30 and I took it out Tuesday. She has about 80 rounds through her, but I have not shot her in about 3 months. All parts that are accessible were cleaned after the last shoot. I shot six rounds. I loaded her up for another 6 and she would not fire. First click I assumed it was the round. No mark on the round. Same thing with the next and the next. After ejecting all rounds I could see that the firing pin was not coming out of the bolt. If I moved the lever the pin would move, but ultimately it will not come out. I am assuming it simply needs to be cleaned, but I could be wrong. I want to start with simply cleaning the bolt. Of course I can find no directions on this. I do not want to have to pay for a gunsmith if it is just cleaning. I will take it to a gunsmith if it is not just the cleaning. Anyone have instructions/video for taking the gun down to get to the bolt? Not brave enough to start poking around and removing pins on my own, but can do it with instruction.

Thanks,

ozzallos said:
Issue: Shell failure to feed from the magazine tube at random; will not feed from the link onto the lift gate about one in every ten shells.

Potential Cause: Over-lubing. You've probably given your 464 too much love; in my case, too much CLP Breakfree .Reducing and increasing spring tension did not work, nor disassembly of mag tube parts.

Solution: Let it soak, dry out, take a can of compressed air or something to reduce the amount of lubricant in the action. My 464 seems to like to run drier than some of my other rifles. Normal operation resumed within a week.
My .30-30 does it occassionaly, about 1 in 30 or 40. The only way I've found to free it up is to put another cartridge in the magazine. Then it'll feed ok, even the one that hung it up ('til the next time that is). I'm counting on it just going away as the rifle gets broken in. I think I have noticed that it does it more frequently with certain brands of ammo (some old Winchester Super-X, but that may be coincidence). I have lubed my baby but I didn't think it was excessive...

If you look at the 464 manual, the exploded parts view and parts list. There is a 'stop' on the forward end of part 51, the 'link'. That 'stop' prevents a second round from entering the action. The 'stop' is right at the end of the magazine tube. It seems to me that in my rifle the 'stop' is just a little too high, we're talking thousandths of an inch here (which is why I want to see if just normal use of the rifle, over time, takes care of it). Maybe the failure to feed is due to the stop being microscopically too high AND the rim of a catridge being microscopically larger in diameter. Either alone is not enough to cause the failure to feed but together they do...

re the failure-to-feed:
I've been to the range half a dozen times since my last post and in that time I've had no failure-to-feeds. I think it's a matter of letting the action get broken in. The lever on my 464 operates as smooth as silk and the rifle feeds flawlessly (and that's shooting everything, Remington, Winchester, Federal and my own reloads).

The longer I own this rifle the more I appreciate it...

Hi andrew678122,

Do you know were i can get the scope rail you got on the little pic below your posts?????

Thanks!!!!!!

evomax said:
Hi andrew678122,

Do you know were i can get the scope rail you got on the little pic below your posts?????

Thanks!!!!!!
Hi there,

That is a home made picatinny rail.

I bought a blank piece of picatinny rail and took away everything that didn't fit my SPX. $10 for the rail from Amazon and about 10 hrs of filing and sanding etc. It's a lot of work but It does what I wanted, namely a one-piece rail that can take the very short red dot finders.

I wish I could tell you where to get one...

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!!!

I looked all over in the net to find something like that... Time to MacGayver one ;-)

Max

magazine tube and loading problems

hey, i got the mossberg 30 30 for christmas a couple years ago, and it worked fine at first but now the magazine tube sometime will get stuck and not push the bullets out when trying to cock the gun. Also the the ramp sometimes does not load the bullet into the chamber right i have cleaned the gun and oiled it. i was just wondering if these are problems that a gunsmith could fix or if i could possibly fix. thanks

Re: magazine tube and loading problems

I picked up my 464 this week. I haven't been to the range with it yet, but I've tried cycling some rounds through it. Sometimes it does what you describe due to the cartridge stop on top of the lever link. It's a small nib that's supposed to hold the remaining cartridges in the magazine tube while the lever is locked, then pivot down & out of the way when the lever is dropped, releasing another cartridge onto the feed ramp.

I was hoping the problem would take care of itself with a little break-in wear. After reading your post I'm wondering if it's a production or quality control problem.

Jeff

Went to the range today & put 50 rounds through it w/ few problems. I shot some Federal, Winchester, & the Serbian brand through it. I had one hang up in the tube as described above. I cycled the lever one more time & pulled it up to depress the trigger safety & it released the cartridge.

It is also much better about the cartridges hanging up between the bolt & ramp...maybe 3 out of 50....not sure if it's a result of break-in or me increasing the speed of cycling the lever.

Loads of fun to shoot this gun. It's my 1st lever-action, now I don't know why I waited so long to get one.

yeah i'm not sure about whats up i talked to a gun smith and suggested stretching the spring in side the loading tube i done that and it helped but i think it needs to be done a little more but i also had bought a box of the zombie max by hornandy just for the box really but i used them the other day for the first time and they seem to load very well and i'm told they are the say as the lever evolutions so i'm planning on using them now and see if that takes care of everthing

but the stretching of the spring in the loading tube help out so much on the bullets getting stuck in the tube i guess that the just wasn't enough pressure to push the ammo out

wade84 said:
....the bullets getting stuck in the tube i guess that the just wasn't enough pressure to push the ammo out

When I've had a problem w/ the tube feed I could take a flashlight & look down thru the top of the receiver(w/ the bolt open)& see the butt of the cartridge hung up down there on the little nib-stop. No problem w/ the tube spring....

Here's a pic of the view down thru the top of the receiver.....

photobucket-4624-1354491947317.jpg

You can see the small block(what I'm calling a nib)at the mouth of the magazine tube. I think that's the only thing controlling the cartridges feeding back onto the ramp....it has to drop just enough( when you lever down)to let a cartridge out of there.

Does yours have any wear or wiggle at the front pin?

I'm having trouble getting the front blade sight out. I've been trying to drive it out left to right(as looking thru the sights)using a brass drift, but it will not budge so far. The rear sight bumped out very easily using the same method.

Jeff

New owner of Mossberg 464 SPX, however this sucks !!! >>>

As you know even though some *purists* may hate the looks of this rifle, this rifle seems to be in *Hot* demand as they are very hard to find. A few days before Christmas, I was blessed to just be on Davidson's / Gallery of Guns and it said that they had 4 in stock of the 30-30 version with the flashhider. So I ordered it. Right after I clicked the submit button, I checked to see if they had 3 left and it was back down to ZERO !!! Got it at my FFL the day after Christmas and it is a fine rifle. However last night I was performing a functions and action check and found that the lever stuck. I could not open the lever all the way. No matter how hard I tried it would not open all the way. The hammer seemed like it was disconnected as it would just slide down like it was not connected. Prior to this the whole week everything worked fine. I have not even shot this rifle yet.

So I called up Mossberg this morning and they said that I had to send it in and will be sending me a FEDEX label to return it back to them and it will take about 10 days turn around time. Dang that sucks !!! I wanted to play with my new toy this weekend !!! Sorry for my rant. Happy New Year and God Bless !!! :D

Re: New owner of Mossberg 464 SPX, however this sucks !!! >>

Just shoot it. I've put a box and a half through mine and it has smoothed right up! It seems fond of the 150gr Winchester XX hollow points and Remington Core-lokt 150gr factory loads.

As for the hammer, is that in the cocked or fired position. My hammer flops a bit in the down position with the safety off.

I can't even shoot it. I can probably load the magazine with rounds, but cocking the lever will not work as I am not able able to open it fully to cycle the rounds so the rounds would be stuck in the magazine. God Bless :D

Well, your only options are send it back to them, take it to a good gun smith, or try to fix it your self at that point then.

Take a good light and look inside it, may be something simple like some dirt somewhere or a bur that didn't get taken off in finishing you could pop off with a good knife blade.

Mine was hard at first and jambed open once. A little shake of the lever fore and aft and it cycled just fine.

Back