• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOOHOO!!! Slide Fire Solutions finally released their stock for the AK. I think I'm gonna have to pick one up. I've been eyeballing these stocks for a while now, but I didn't own an AR to put it on. Issue solved. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFVUQru2THo&feature=related[/youtube]

Need some Ak help

So I told the wife that I would only by one gun this year and its going to be an AK. I just figured I post up here for the the guys who already have them what should I look for and anything I should steer clear of. I've been looking at the wasr 10 double stacks at dunhams but heard very mixed reviews. Don't plan on buying until prob mid march but doing as much research before that as I can.

DroidX Tapatalk

Re: Need some Ak help

A couple things to look for based on my experiences with the WASR-10's from Dunhams

• Make sure the front sight is square, they are often canted. It can be fixed but it iseasier to find one that is square to begin with as they are pinned in place.
  • Check play in the magwell, they often remove too much metal and there is a lot of slop in the magazine. A little is OK but too much and you will have some feeding issues. How much is OK is a judgement call you will have to make. Mine wobbles just a tad but it has not affected function at all. I looked a several and mine seemed the tightest of what they had. If you are adventurous you can buy a single stack and dremmel it out yourself to get the best fit.
  • Make sure the bolt does not catch anywhere and moves freely throughout it's entire range. When new you will see a little friction but that should go away after a few hundred rounds. Just make sure there arent any serious problems where parts seem out of alignment. I looked a one that would jam up half way every time I pulled the bolt back and released it.

OK, what's your price range...does it have to be a WASR...as there are all different makes and models. Did you know the newest thing out right now is an American made AK...?

http://www.ak-47.us/USmade.php

http://www.ioinc.us/

Gun shows are a great place to start looking...and as my esteemed colleague MikeD as pointed out, there are definitely things to be aware of and keep and eye out for...

Just throwing a few ideas out there...it's ultimately up to you !!

Good luck and keep us in the loop via this thread... :!:

I've had my WASR-10 for several years now. It's been a true workhorse with zero issues. Installed a 'Romy' handguard and refinished the furniture in red mahogany, but other than that she's bone stock ...

When you get your hands on one I will suggest using the Tapco polymer mags though. In my experience, the metal surplus mag springs are hit or miss and can be a real PITA...

No it does not have to be a wasr and im really not trying to spend more than 600 hence why I brought up the wasr. I will for sure keep the thread updated.

DroidX Tapatalk

IOincAKmarkings002.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I've had my WASR-10 for several years now. It's been a true workhorse with zero issues. Installed a 'Romy' handguard and refinished the furniture in red mahogany, but other than that she's bone stock ...

When you get your hands on one I will suggest using the Tapco polymer mags though. In my experience, the metal surplus mag springs are hit or miss and can be a real PITA...

I think you can buy the tapco followers to install in the pita mags.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

I too have an I.O. Inc. AK-47 Model C. I love it. The quality is awesome and I have never had any issues. But like John said, I wasn't impressed with the stock furniture either (stock, grip, and fore end were all Tapco). I replaced all of that with ATI furniture. I did a few more mods as well.

All of that said, I pick it up from an overpriced local shop for right at $600. I HIGHLY recommend an I.O. for the money.

My baby:
SANY0058.jpg

Well folks today may be the day Dunhams has WASR double stacks on sale for 419.00 so I will be heading there as soon as they open. I'll keep you all posted.

Well I bought one its a wasr 10/63 double stack came with 2 mags. It has a little bit of mag wobble but it don't think it should affect the performance of the gun. Now on to the pics.

aefd0e15-02b7-6509.jpg

aefd0e15-0271-2cf2.jpg

aefd0e15-029e-f99e.jpg

DroidX Tapatalk

For now it will probably stay as is might refinish the wood. I dont have any plans for it but if I know me it will get some stuff done do it i've already started looking around the web for AK goodies.

Awesome SS !! Beautiful furniture too...

What type of wood refinish are you thinking ?

Looking forward to the project pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back