• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

If you do not have a problem with feeding I see no real need to change out the follower. I have an orange follower on my 835 that came with the magazine extension and the standard follower on the Maverick. Easy enough to feel in the dark on either and easy enough to see in the light with either. Just my opinion.

I still favor the bright orange followers....real easy to visually pickup fast if you lose count.

easier than shiny brass ?.....no shiny brass and you’re out if the "click" doesn’t give you a clue. The follower isn’t going to say “hey you have two rounds left”…..it’s only visible when you are out

my factory one was black and felt just like the brass end of a shell...this new one is unmistakably different feeling and slides a bit smoother in the tube, the stock one would bind a little bit sometimes...i mostly like it for unloading manually to clean etc so i can just pop em out and feel empty thats it's empty...plus it look way cooler and i like my toys :p

Re: Mag tub cap with swivel stud attachment?

I just ordered one of those mag caps with the swivel on it. I looked at them at BassPro yesterday, but they were out of the type for Mossberg.

Yesterday, I was looking at the various sling mounts, and found that a regular QD stud will screw into the magazine cap on mine.

oli700 said:
easier than shiny brass ?.....no shiny brass and you’re out if the "click" doesn’t give you a clue. The follower isn’t going to say “hey you have two rounds left”…..it’s only visible when you are out

The hi-viz follower isn't just there to tell you when you are dry if you are shooting, it's there to tell you you are dry when you WANT it to be unloaded.

In my dim garage, I cannot be certain that the black follower is not a too-dim-to-see shell casing. If it were red or shiny I could be more certain.

These caps for the 590 aren't easy to find. I ordered from Optics Planet, and it's on backorder for 5 to 10 days. Everywhere I've looked, these are out of stock or on backorder. Must be kind of popular. Hopefully my order will go through in a week or so.

wolff spring came in today...big difference...between that and the follower the minor binding issues i had previously are completely eliminated

robtech87 said:
wolff spring came in today...big difference...between that and the follower the minor binding issues i had previously are completely eliminated

Sweet! I ordered some springs from them a few days back!

be forewarned...once they shipped it was only a few days til it was here, but it took them 9 days before they shipped it (after i sent them an email to see what was up they shipped it next day) they have a really high order volume right now so expect a 6-8 business day wait before they ship as opposed to the usual 2-3

seriously between that spring and the new follower my magazine flows super smooth where it used to bind a little every few rounds

MossLvR said:
robtech87 said:

Sweet! I ordered some springs from them a few days back!

+1 on wolff springs. My first firearm was a smith and wesson sigma. I did not have problems with it until it had about 500 rounds through it and it was getting failures to feed all of a sudden. I changed out the springs in the mags to wolff +powers and never had anymore ftf.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

870 Magpul Forend on 590?

Just picked up a new 590 last night and was looking around for accessories. I see that Magpul has started making shotgun accessories but so far only for the Rem 870. Is there any chance that one could fit a 870 Forend onto a Moss?

Re: 870 Magpul Forend on 590?

I just did a quick test and I can attest to the fact that my old 870 forend (870 express, factory, wood) will not fit my 835. The tube on the 835 is larger then the 870.

I may be wrong but I thought the 500/590 hardware would also fit a 835 so I would assume then that the Magpul forend for the 870 would not fit the 590.

My logic may be flawed, you know what they say about assumptions. LOL

Perhaps someome with more knowledge can back me up.

I follow what you're saying and yeah that seems likely. I just hope Magpul starts making Mossberg stuff soon!

All the 835/500/590 tube and forend stuff is interchangable! ;)

I would think Magpul will get into the Mossberg stuff in the future, not that I can verify it...

Re: Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tube Extensions and Accesso

I have a fluorescent green Wilson Scattergun derlin follower that I like for reasons already posted, I'm going to see if it'll fit my 590 when it arrives. I've never thought metal followers were as forgiving as derlin when it comes to debris or dents in a mag tube. Ofcourse, YMMV and I don't play a gunsmith on the internet, but I do at home. ;)

Back