• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR Bolt Action Troubleshooting

No ideas out there what may have happened to my bolt?
I thought by now I would have had half a dozen folks chime in with quick fixes or questions or admonishments or ANYTHING but silence :(

I know you're out there... I can hear you breathing.

Mossberg is sending FedEx to retrieve my Night Train. Plan is that they will beam it back to the mother ship, make all necessary and prudent repairs and adjustments and then FedEx it back to me.

I expect to ship it out tomorrow. I will have to use my .270 for opening day since Deer season opens this coming Saturday at Oh Dark Thirty in the morning. Too bad, I was looking forward destroying Bambi in .308 fashion!!

Okay, here's the latest on my .308 Night Train.
I've been waiting all week for FedEx to show up with a prepaid shipping label and to carry away my .308 to be repaired and various other things (really disappointed with what I received - it was not the high quality product I expected but that's another story).

So after a week I called back to Mossberg and coincidentally got the same young lady on the phone that I spoke to a week ago. I asked about my label and she said, "Oh, yeah. We're having a lot of trouble getting those out."

Now, to her credit she immediately emailed a scan copy to me and then insisted that she hold on while I check to make sure I received it and it was okay. +1 for that.

However, I don't think anyone was going to follow up with the original call to find out why they had not gotten my rifle in yet. I know, I'm ranting and venting now but I'm a process guru by trade and this is a leadership issue above all else.

It just makes me crazy that they seem willing to casually cast aside a true Mossberg evangelist like myself without a lot of regard to the long term impact that guys like me have to their business as a whole. Every business needs guys out there at the ranges bragging on their rifles and how good they shoot and how good the company is and what great service they got. M'berg needs to court guys like us who spend our free time talking to other Mossberg owners and shooting matches with Remmy and Savage owners. They should be eager to make it up to guys like me or you that we missed opening day (tomorrow BTW) by throwing a couple boxes of ammo or a hat or a hoodie or by just saying, "I'm sorry we let you down. We'll try our best to do better in the future."

I just wish at this point that someone from Mossberg could read this and glean how profoundly disappointed I am in their level of service both before and after this sale. I know I'm just one guy but dog gonnit, I represent a cross section of the population that is tired of being let down by what used to be a great company that always, always, always made sure it was as good as it could possibly be before they let it get on the truck!!!

Yes, I'm getting a little animated now and yes even a little angry (tomorrow is opening day).
So there you have it. If FedEx actually shows up Monday and they actually take my gun to TX and it actually gets all the stuff corrected that needs to be and they actually get it back to me in a reasonable time period (maybe a month) and I shoot it and it really is fixed and everything is good I will still have spent a LOT of money for a rifle to miss pretty much the whole season - just because they didn't ensure my gun was right before shipping it!!

Sorry you all had to read that but dang it, I'm disappointed in what I used to consider one of the best companies in the industry.

Thanks for reading this far,

constable6 said:
I have a 100 ATR in .270, Last night I removed the rifle from my gun cabinet and teh bolt fell out. It appears there is nothing holding the firing pin assembly in the bolt. Not sure if someone has been in the cabinet or not (grrr) but I need to know if there is some special part that holds the firing pin assembly in the bolt assembly. If not, how do I order a complete new bolt assembly. I love this rifle and I need if functioning again!
Unless Mossberg has recently changed the design(possible,due to some fairly catastrophic bolt assembly failures with the original design)there really isn't anything external that holds the pin in.The rear of the bolt body is splined,then the bolt handle is press fit onto the body.The firing pin,from what I can see in the pics includes an integral lug that travels back and forth in a slot within the bolt handle.(Best seen in pic 3)
If the assembly has come apart it really can't be put back together since the splines have been swaged down to the point that it's no longer tight enough to stay together.
Sorry,but if you're out of warranty it's going to be kind of pricey because you actually need to have this fixed by Mossberg.You need to contact their service reps to get the process started,and I don't see why you would need to send them any more than the bolt assembly.
If they haven't already,Mossberg seriously needs to change this design.
Hope that helps.
Bob

Attachments

• Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7,031
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 7,031
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 7,031
Thanks Bob,
I appreciate the info. It is under warranty. It was nine days old when I initiated the contact.
There are several (unrelated) issues actually so I would feel better having them pick it up and go through it thoroughly. Funny part is that it closes and locks just fine with an empty chamber. Go figure.

I really do love Mossberg and my M'berg rifles (especially the 100 ATRs).
That's why this is so disappointing to me.

They really need to make this right

You're welcome,I'm sure things will turn out ok.It's certainly better to find problems in the first few weeks rather than in the 2nd year sometime.
Bob

I posted a while back about having a loading issue w/my .3006. Had some good suggestions as far as a remedy for this problem, but nothing seemed to correct it. As far as the spring tension, its very minimal. It seemed as though the tabs at the bottom of the mag plate would bottom out in the well. I ended up shaving the tabs down, and shortening the spring to allow for full travel. I dont recommend this by any means, but was a simplistic fix, and haven had any issues with repetitive loading or ejection.

I fixed an issue I had when I first got my ATR. When cycling rounds through the action, I noticed that the last round would not feed from the magazine reliably. Sometimes the round would not chamber at all. Other times it seemed like I had to force the bolt closed to seat the round.

After some close inspection I noticed that there was a weld hump in the magazine housing which interfered with the follower rising to its full, upright position.

It was an easy fix. I used my Dremel and smoothed the hump down. I have not had an issue since. Hope this might help someone if they have this problem in the future.

SANY0192.jpg

Location of the weld bump.

SANY0175.jpg

Smoothed down.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 30.06 100 ATR, until I read about the bolt design. I can't believe that after the injuries and the lawsuit, Mossberg still hasn't changed this design. Those pictures of the bolt handle separation are scary. It should have been a simple fix to either spline the inside as well, or pin or braze the handle to the bolt. However, from what I've read, the real design flaw seems to be the fact that the weapon will still fire if the bolt is not completely locked up. This bolt system, I'm told, seems to be the same failed Raptor design, which Mossberg took over. If this is true, and they still haven't addressed these issues, I don't think I want to own one of these weapons.

jsgiunta said:
I was ready to pull the trigger on a 30.06 100 ATR, until I read about the bolt design. I can't believe that after the injuries and the lawsuit, Mossberg still hasn't changed this design. Those pictures of the bolt handle separation are scary. It should have been a simple fix to either spline the inside as well, or pin or braze the handle to the bolt. However, from what I've read, the real design flaw seems to be the fact that the weapon will still fire if the bolt is not completely locked up. This bolt system, I'm told, seems to be the same failed Raptor design, which Mossberg took over. If this is true, and they still haven't addressed these issues, I don't think I want to own one of these weapons.

I am always leery of someone who joins a forum and their first post is like this. It seems the person has their own agenda.

^ Agreed.

jsgiunta, if you are actually here to contribute to the community, we'd be glad to see some more information on what you're talking about. Maybe these pictures you're talking about and/or articles that actually give factual/proven accounts of these issues. Thanks.

Hi guys Im new here after finding this site when i googled a problem i found with my new 100atr night train 3. here goes, I bought this gun a couple days ago and the owner of the gun store gives you a free box of ammo when you buy a new gun, so i got a free box of Federal Premium 168gr Sierra Matchking BTHP. First off I cant get the internal mag to accept 4 rounds and still be able to close the bolt(not a big deal) the BIG deal for me is AFTER i fire a shot the bolt is EXTEREMLY hard to open. it rotates up easily but does not want to come out, it usually takes alot of pressure to pull the bolt back. is it the ammo? the gun? what are my options? thank you

p.s. This thing was very accurate, shot awesome and looks cool. just that bolt issure is bugging me..

Looks to me like your mag spring has too much tension.

This would make it difficult to load a full mag and the upward pressure in the mag spring is pressing the top round against your bolt making it difficult to pull it back. This issue is not uncommon in new rifles and your spring should compress over time. If you can safely do so, store your rifle with a full magazine. If your situation does not allow you to use live ammo, you can pick up some dummy rounds for a few bucks. Check it after about a week, and repeat if necessary until the spring begins to loosen up. The constant pressure will help compress the spring and you should be able to load a full mag and still be able to move the bolt freely in no time.

thanks ill try that.

but what about th fact that the bolt would not open for me? when that happened i was loading just ONE round at a time and it only happened AFTER i fired. i can open the bolt, load in a round, close the bolt, open it back up and eject the round flawlessly but the moment that i load a round and FIRE the bolt will rotate up perfectly but not pullback (internal mag empty)

Yeah, that's a different situation all together.

You may have some head-spacing issues or a bolt that is not properly fit to the receiver. I would contact Mossberg with your issue. They will likely request that you send your rifle in for inspection and any necessary fitting. If that's the case, make sure they send you a return label and pay for shipping the rifle both ways.

Hi, I'm coming new to this site with a pretty hairy list of questions for the experts here. Bought a 100 ATR long action in .270 for a lighter, mid-range deer gun and I have been looking into customisation a bit. Does anyone, first off, know of a conversion or kit of some kind that could turn my lovely little rifle from an internal mag to a detachable box magazine set-up?

it turned out the guy that had the bolt in his face had taken the bolt apart then reassembled it wrong one of his friends who seen the way he put it togeather told him it was wrong but he didnt listen to him put it in the gun anyway he put it togeather so bad he had to a hammer and beat it in to the gun then he went and shot it it exploded in his face.

Shows just how stupid the guy really was you wpould thank if someone told you you had put something togeather wrong you would atleast stop and check it then when he was beating it back in the gun stop say maybe he was right i should have to use a hammer for something it took apart by hand.

^ That guy also admitted on record that he threw the gun against the wall at one point after he beat it with a hammer all while under the influence of alcohol.

Drunken gunsmithing = Never a good idea

Back