• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FN Herstal

sumoj275

.270 WIN
Where are the FAL guys???

I have had FAL rifles for years. I have found that through everything the 18" brl is my favorite, but never could figure which stock situation I like best--kinda changes from day to day. Anyway, I took care of the problem by building up a spare lower. Took the rifle to the range today, sighted in the fixed lower and need a taller rear sight but that is it--something about having the 200 POI set with a 400 POA. Anyway here is pics of both suites of clothes.

IMG_20110515_105738.jpg

DSA Type II upper receiver, 18" brl, Brazilian hgs, Para Folder lower, cheek pad, 3 pt sling, Grenadier picitiny optic rail, Aimpoint M2, sand cut carrier, etc.

IMG_20110515_104748-1.jpg

Same except a G1 lower receiver with surplus stock and issue sling. I may get some real nice wood in the future but for now this is it!

Post up if you are a FAL man!

Re: Where are the FAL guys???

Nice FAL rifle :twisted: . I haven't had the pleasure of owning one yet but maybe one day.

Right now the best deal for a FAL rifle is the DSA Imbel rifles that are going for about a 1000. Excellent parts kit, DSA receiver and warranty, ready to go! Careful though, the FAL is very addictive. I have only 1 1/2 now but I have had 8 at one time. :oops:

Its a great lookin gun I admittedly know nothing about.

My LSG has had an Argentine FAL on the wall for a while now. It's a consignment sale and the guy wants around $2800 for it. Seems a but steep to me, but I'm not too familiar with the platform either...

Lazy Eyed, that is high unless there is something special about it and is a collectors piece.

That's what I figured.

Probably why it's been there for over a year now...

Ok, I really like my Mossy's, but I'm runnin into some road blocks as I look for what I want.

I want a 20" or 22" barrel, threaded for chokes is a plus. VR is ok, but not necessary.

What I run into when lookin at the 930 models, barrels are too long or are close but are turkey models with the fixed X-Full choke, so no slug shooting. Additionally, I would have to purchase the mag tube extension.

The FNH SLP has an extended mag tube, 22" barrel, comes with 2 choke tubes and 2 different gas rings to switch between lighter loads and full power loads.

Thing is I know little of the FNH and dont know of anyone who owns one and would like to gather some opinions based on experience. Yeah I know theyre a major sponsor of 3 Gun Nation, but that doesnt mean didley to me.

Any insight is appreciated!

Re: FNH SLP?

I don't know much about the FNH SLP but when it comes to setting up the Mossberg 930 autoloader for 3 gun I know most have to call Mossberg directly to purchase the 24" VR threaded choked barrel with NO ports. You would then need an extension tube but can easily fit a +5 on there giving you 9-10 in the tube, 1 ghost loaded and 1 in the chamber. I would like to hear more about the FNH SLP though.

Re: FNH SLP?

Yeah, that 24" would work, and it is for competition. I need something Allison can handle too.

I like the configuration offered from FNH, its good to go as is out of the box, plus has the gas ring options too.

DHonovich said:
I would like to hear more about the FNH SLP though.

Heres the FNH site.
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF005&gid=FNG002&mid=FNM0019

images

I would have to get down to pricing for the 930 plus the barrel and extended mag tube and chokes to see if there is any savings to be had vs. the FNH.

Man, FNH still has a couple options that are box stock that could close the deal for me.

I would love to be the black sheep at the range and not be runnin the same thing everyone else is...

FN FNAR, my SCAR was lonely

Hey fellas, long time no see. How's everyone doing?

I've been fondling this FNAR at the LGS for the past month so I finally brought it home. Went straight to the club with it after putting the Trijicon from my LMT on it and man is this gun accurate. Groups are awesome, recoil was light and it is just a smooth shooting 308. I'm looking into a Leupold scope for it..

All cleaned up and ready to go back to the club tomorrow along with the SCAR and LMT as soon as my Son steps off the school bus.

Re: FN FNAR, my SCAR was lonely

Welcome back Dave !!

Real nice FNAR...

VERY NICE Dave!

You always show up with the coolest stuff. Keep us posted on this one. Hope all is well...

JEALOUS!

Very nice.

Although I have to admit at first glance, it looked like the gun was sitting on a tactical kilt. LOL

I am 100% unfamiliar with this gun, but it looks like it would be fun to shoot.

Good to hear from you again!

Very nice rifle. Awesome.

I got my FNAR a little over 2 years ago. Overall it was a great out of the box shooter and very easy to make sub MOA shots.

rl15.jpg

However, I always thought of it as a confused rifle without an identity. It was half hunting rifle, with fluted heavy barrel, had a pistol grip, armorized magazines that will last forever. I hated the fact they made non standardized magazines. Why they decided for it not to use the FAL magazines is beyond me. I took it apart once and that was a big reason why I got rid of it a couple months ago. Tiny spring and difficult (but not impossibe) takedown.

1291907216.jpg

It definately is a shooter that you should enjoy, but I parted ways with mine went another direction.

Thanks everyone,

I added a Redfield 4x12x40mm scope to it today and went straight back to the club with it, AWESOME RIFLE!!!

It was raining real hard so I didn't take the time I'd have liked with it but these are the results @100 yards rapid fire 10 rounds all hitting pretty good..

Thanks LAZY..

megawatt, I hear ya on the breakdown, definitely not for the faint of heart that's for sure. I did break it down yesterday after a day of shooting 200 yards with it and in total about 350 rounds through it since I picked it up last Thursday. It didn't go as bad as I thought but it certainly isn't a quick fix/breakdown rifle. A buddy of mine specializes in FN products and met me at the club yesterday and he loved the way it shot along with the grouping. He has the SCAR L and SCAR H and the 5.7 Pistol and offered help if needed with the Maintenance of the FNAR..

Back