• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATI Talon Scorpion Stock and AR15 limbsaver pad?

Hi, i have an ATI Talon Scorpion adjustable pistolgrip stock on my mossberg 500. I heard the Limbsaver pad for AR 15 fits like a glove if you remove the ATI pad. Does anyone has this pad installed in their ATI Talon Scorpion stock? I'm trying to determine if it absorbs more recoil than the ATI pad? or if is about the same or worse than the ATI pad? I'm trying to make the shotgun more wife friendly. Thanks.

It does absorb more recoil and slips right on. You will haveto use a screw driver as a shoe horn to get it on but yes it does help.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

tnxdshooter said:
It does absorb more recoil and slips right on. You will haveto use a screw driver as a shoe horn to get it on but yes it does help.

Im assuming that you have this setup. Was it easy to install? I think i will give the limbsaver a try. Thanks for the feedback.

He had the slip on version if I remember correctly which is different than what you are talking about doing. I use limbsaver pads on most of my shotguns but I honestly like the scorpion pads from ATI. If you added the limbsaver slip on OVER the scorpion it would surely be better.

Jayta98 said:
tnxdshooter said:

Im assuming that you have this setup. Was it easy to install? I think i will give the limbsaver a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I had the setup and yes it was easy to install. I just unscrewed the regular butt pad with a hex. Took the limb saver and used a flat head screw driver as a shoe horn and stretched the two sides of the slip on out and worked it on there. It fit fine. I got rid of the setup because even with the limbsaver on there it did not reduce recoil anywhere near as much as my Blackhawk Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I would have used the limb saver slip on i think the number is 10019 or something on my sks but since it has hardly any recoil anyhow I figured it woukd be pointless. Eventually one day I plan on getting the Mesa Tactical leo stock with the hydraulic recoil reducer. I have heard there is no better recoil reducer for the shotgun. Only bad part is the kit is about 300 dollars.

Here is the one I had and the one you are looking for. I paid less than that for mine on cheaper thand dirt but oh well it has gone up.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2LIMB10019-1.html

I ordered the limb saver for the ATI stock. I was talking to some local LEO that work at my station. They have spec ops gen 2 adjustable stock and they love it. I was thinking about buying this stock and try it. I can always sell the ATI stock. Anyone has some feedback on the spec ops stock?

Try using the search feature, I cant remember where it is but there is a great thread on all the stock options for the 500s.

PaperShooter said:
Try using the search feature, I cant remember where it is but there is a great thread on all the stock options for the 500s.
I have found the thread and I ask there as well. the information about it is not recent.

I dont have a spec ops but I do have a Blackhawk and I like it. Mine is the Talon, I think they both use a comparable recoil reduction design and mine seems to work well.

PaperShooter said:
I dont have a spec ops but I do have a Blackhawk and I like it. Mine is the Talon, I think they both use a comparable recoil reduction design and mine seems to work well.

Thanks i think im going to give specops gen1 a try.

Installed the limbsaver on my ATI stock. The difference in material is huge. I'm going to try it out this week at the range.

I had a comment and a question:

I am also in the market for a stock, so I e-mailed Blackhawk to see when the Gen 2 SpecOps would be on sale for the 500. The guy told me not until April/May, after another round of QA at their mfg. facility in Idaho.

So I figured I would run the Talon setup in the meantime as well. I understand that there is a Limbsaver pad that fit over/around the stock as well as one that screws on like a typical replacement butt pad. Are you guys recommending the be fit over the Scorpion or in place of it using the screw-on version if that's possible?

Litany Against Fear said:
I had a comment and a question:

I am also in the market for a stock, so I e-mailed Blackhawk to see when the Gen 2 SpecOps would be on sale for the 500. The guy told me not until April/May, after another round of QA at their mfg. facility in Idaho.

So I figured I would run the Talon setup in the meantime as well. I understand that there is a Limbsaver pad that fit over/around the stock as well as one that screws on like a typical replacement butt pad. Are you guys recommending the be fit over the Scorpion or in place of it using the screw-on version if that's possible?

This is the one that I put on my ATiI Talon set up.
http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/34-35.php

You have to remove the ATI one using a torx screw driver or socket. The Limbsaver one snaps right in and stays in place.

Limbsaver
IMGP2230.jpg

IMGP2231.jpg

ATI pad
IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1914.jpg

Now I see what you mean. I was picturing the slip-on ones for a typical buttstock or the precision fit ones that attach with screws. Now I see that this version fits over the M4/AR-15 style stocks. So how did the Limbsaver compare to the Scorpion?

I also saw that Mesa Tactical stock setup that was mentioned and they suggest this model Limbsaver as well. Is that a 6-shot Mesa Tactical shell rig in the 1st pic?

Litany Against Fear said:
Now I see what you mean. I was picturing the slip-on ones for a typical buttstock or the precision fit ones that attach with screws. Now I see that this version fits over the M4/AR-15 style stocks. So how did the Limbsaver compare to the Scorpion?

I also saw that Mesa Tactical stock setup that was mentioned and they suggest this model Limbsaver as well. Is that a 6-shot Mesa Tactical shell rig in the 1st pic?

I haven't test the limbsaver at the range yet. I can tell you is very different. the limbsaver I can actually put my finger on it, press down and I can feel the cushion vs the ATI one is solid. I'm sure I will feel a difference once I go to the range.

The shell rig is the tacstar side saddle.

Hey Jayta98, was wondering if you ever got a chance to test this out. I have the M4 slip on pad on my 500 w/ ATI Scorpion Stock, but I honestly think it is worse at mitigating recoil than the ATI pad. Took the 500 12 and 20 gauge out to the range 2 days ago. Fired 2 rounds of Winchester Target & Game (2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz. #8 lead shot) through the 12 and 5-6 rounds of Estate target load (20g has a slip-on LimbSaver on the original stock) and my shoulder feels like I let the biggest guy I could find punch me in the shoulder.

I don't think the M4 pad has enough material to eat up the recoil mixed with such a large, flat surface area of an M4 type shotgun stock. Next time I get the chance I'm going to take both the ATI and LimbSaver pads out and see how they feel side by side, but I'm leaning toward the ATI pad seeing as it was designed for shotgun recoil though.

On a side note, the 20 gauge wood stock with a slip on LimbSaver feels like getting hit with a pillow by a little girl. I don't think the LimbSaver is junk, just not right for this application. I had a slip on one on my wood stock for my 12 gauge and loved it, but gave it away after switching stocks. There was a group of young girls (maybe 13-15) at the range with a youth group shooting pistols for the first time. When we pulled out the shotguns a few of them where eying them, so we asked their youth pastor if they'd be interested in learning to fire a shotgun. I ended up teaching them how to handle a shotgun and let them fire off a few rounds. All but one girl tried and all of them loved it. I remember shooting my first shotgun in youth group, so I was glad I had the chance to continue that tradition for a few kids.

No, the ATI one comes off, the AR-15 one slips on over the buttstock. It's a pretty snug fit. And works like a charm, even with 3" sabot slugs :)

Back