• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Re: Will this fit?

John A. said:
You can find it cheaper on other websites.

And this is a direct quote from the one you linked:

Fits Most 12 Ga Mossberg* 500/535/590/835, Remington 870 and Winchester* 1200/1300 Shotguns

Yes I also read that, but the word MOST is what had me concerned, plus the asterisk also indicated something regarding the year made a difference.

tnxdshooter said:
Vector said:
Will this fit our 590's? If so how good is it from those who have used it?

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-st ... ystem.html

Yeah but I have used it and the blackhawk knoxx. The ati even with a slip on limb saver butt pad did not reduce recoil at all. If anything it made it worse. It was even worse with the buttpad that came on the ati talon. The knoxx actually reduces recoil a heck of alot better.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

I was thinking about the Knoxx, but they do not seem to fit flush. I've seen them fit flush in the non recoil pictures, but I think the recoil version leaves a gap. Does anyone have the recoil version that is flush?

I love my gen 1 Spec-Ops.

It does leave a bit of a gap as you stated, but I don't ever notice it.

I've never seen one that fits flush. The gap is there to allow for the rearward motion of the receiver and trigger guard into the stock.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I've never seen one that fits flush. The gap is there to allow for the rearward motion of the receiver into the stock.

I do not care for it myself as it looks like an ill fitting accessory, even if it is functional. However I swear I have seen ones that are flush, though it could have been on 500's, not 590's. Then again it could have been the non recoil suppression model, but I am not sure?

Vector said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I've never seen one that fits flush. The gap is there to allow for the rearward motion of the receiver into the stock.

I do not care for it myself as it looks like an ill fitting accessory, even if it is functional. However I swear I have seen ones that are flush, though it could have been on 500's, not 590's. Then again it could have been the non recoil suppression model, but I am not sure?

There is a gap on my 500 one to. The only ones without the gaps are the non recoil reducing and the ati talon which is a non recoil reducer from my experience as well.

I know you had a poor experience with your ATI unit but I have put over a thousand rounds down range with my ATI setup and I can assure you it does help in recoil. I have also tried and tested nearly every stock available and the ATI is still one of my favorite setups. I also like the Hogue 12" lop a lot when it comes to a KISS setup. I did enjoy the BlackHawk gen I but ergonomically it needs improvements which is why I was excited with the gen II release. That however is proving to have its own issues with quality control/build design. My favorite stock to date though is the BlackHawk breachers grip as it is a blast to shoot with.

My old ATI stock has been in use for close to 7 years now.

No problems whatsoever.

DHonovich said:
I know you had a poor experience with your ATI unit but I have put over a thousand rounds down range with my ATI setup and I can assure you it does help in recoil. I have also tried and tested nearly every stock available and the ATI is still one of my favorite setups. I also like the Hogue 12" lop a lot when it comes to a KISS setup. I did enjoy the BlackHawk gen I but ergonomically it needs improvements which is why I was excited with the gen II release. That however is proving to have its own issues with quality control/build design. My favorite stock to date though is the BlackHawk breachers grip as it is a blast to shoot with.

Yes but arent you also one of the one's that has the vang comp porting? If so the porting will reduce recoil with any stock you use.

tnxdshooter said:
Yes but arent you also one of the one's that has the vang comp porting? If so the porting will reduce recoil with any stock you use.

Per my experience, porting on a shotgun barrel does not reduce recoil much if at all. It only helps to reduce muzzle rise which in turn directs the recoil straight back.

MikeD said:
tnxdshooter said:

Per my experience, porting on a shotgun barrel does not reduce recoil much if at all. It only helps to reduce muzzle rise which in turn directs the recoil straight back.

Porting and lengthening the forcing cone reduce felt recoil. Period!

I wasn't to exited about the gap either when I first saw it. I will tell you, After firing it i never looked back.
The one thing I didn't realize befor instalation was that you have to remove the stock to tear down the weapon. Again, with the tremendous recoil reduction I will live with this.

Vector, the concern over the dates indicated by the asterisk I believe may reference guns that were made with pinned forends rather than action slide tubes, primarily seen in newer sporting guns.

I have no experience with any of these stocks however...

I do agree with MikeD about the porting. It seems the porting improves (or reduces rather) the muzzle climb, and not so much actual recoil, though low recoil loads are even more a dream to shoot! If thats even relevant! Sorry, a bit off topic, I know...

Will the limbsaver pad fit any of the shorter LOP Hogue stocks? I tried the stock 500/590 limbsaver on the 12" LOP Hogue today and no joy.

I have heard that it will BigKracka but dont know from experience.

So having used the Hogue short LOP youre wanting more in the recoil pad? To me, (and I'm only comparing to the factory recoil pad) the Hogue recoil pads are plush!

I just put some video up using the Hogue with my 590A1 in the product review section, man I love it! its even comfortable with full power loads!

Need your advice for 590A1 new stock

Hi everyone,
Although I like my speedfeed stock on my 590A1, I would appreciate your suggestions for a new stock.
What's the difference between the "normal" ones and the ones with pistol grip?
I like the adjustable ones but due to the Greek regulation for the length of the shotgun, I must go for a fixed one with same length as the original.
Thanks.

Re: Need your advice for 590A1 new stock

A pistol grip fixed stock of the same length as factory? So it has to be 14"...

Well, I havent used anthing of the sort Kostas. I'm hopeful someone here can make a recomendation.

Here are a few ideas though.

This is a Pheonix Technologies;
SHT-259.jpg

And the Talon thumbhole shotgun stock from BlackHawk;
18-1514-IMG1_L.jpeg

Ooh! That thumbhole is nice! I like the pistol grip because, for me, its more comfortable. I only have the knoxx cuz I didn't see the thumbhole one till after I had it.
The difference between the pistol grip and stock, is you have more control over the recoil. At
least for me it seems that way...
Also...that thumbhole stock has a recoil reduction system in it.

Rossignol said:
A pistol grip fixed stock of the same length as factory? So it has to be 14"...

Well, I havent used anthing of the sort Kostas. I'm hopeful someone here can make a recomendation.

Here are a few ideas though.

This is a Pheonix Technologies;
SHT-259.jpg

And the Talon thumbhole shotgun stock from BlackHawk;
18-1514-IMG1_L.jpeg
Yes, it has to be same length as factory so it can be according to regulations!!!
While I was searching, the ones I liked were the 6 positions collapsible but since they are not fixed..... :x
BUT, the Talon thumbhole is really awesome!!!
I hope it can be delivered to Greece!
Thank you very much for your recommendation!!!

ripjack13 said:
Ooh! That thumbhole is nice! I like the pistol grip because, for me, its more comfortable. I only have the knoxx cuz I didn't see the thumbhole one till after I had it.
The difference between the pistol grip and stock, is you have more control over the recoil. At
least for me it seems that way...
Also...that thumbhole stock has a recoil reduction system in it.
It seems logical to me, to be better with the pistol grip and have more control over the recoil.
Thanks a lot.

Well you pack of buggers made me do it. I have read everything here and else where regarding stock options and as much as I like/dislike the collaspables I am OLD school in that I still like the standard type stocks. Just one twist, I have grown real partial to the HOGUE line and had a stock on an old .30-06 for a number of years. Up here it rains a lot, can be cold and icy and I just like the grippy feeling. SO I ordered a Regluar length Butt stock today. Never held one of those 12" LOPs so I'm not gambling on something I ain't comfortable with. At 6"-4" and 270 I ain't interested in something I can wrap myself around. Grew up full length stocks and that's what I like. Spending 15+years Army I hated the M-16 in any variation. I carried the M-14 for a while and loved it. Funny thing is when I first went in we were still using the .45 M3A1 and 1911's. The good old days!!!

WooHoo! Glad to hear youre goin with the Hogue, I'm hugely fond of them!

I have the standard LOP Hogue on my 500 and I can work with it! ;)

Back