• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Assembled/Complete AR's

Cool! I'm diggin the D&H mags; Relatively inexpensive and they include the Magpul anti tilt follower!

I am very opinionated when it comes to magazines. Almost to the point of biased snobbery. Not necessarily over brand (although I do like some better than others), but I am biased over the material used to make the magazines, which makes me very unpopular on some forums.

My main train of thought, an auto loader gun is only ever going to be as good as the magazine that feeds it, so this is an area that I pay attention to and they are not all created equal.

I do own some Pmags and I am not bashing them directly because overall they're alright. Matter of fact, I have one Pmag that I modified to 10 rounds that is my primary 223 hunting magazine.

I also own a couple of the Israeli Orlite magazines, but they have a mesh wire support in them and seem to be more of a resin composition. Although I don't own any, I have also used thermolds, which are very similiar to the orlites.

I guess what I'm trying to say is although I know the rage is to own plastic magazines, they have inherent benefits like built in channels to keep the rounds seated and stacked correctly, but they have their own inherent shortfalls too.

Namely the body or the especially the feedlips becoming swollen/worn (especially when left loaded for long periods of time-why else do you think magpul included the little cappy thingy).

I have used every AR magazine in the AR world except for cammenga, troy and surefire 60 and 100 round "coffin" mags.

I have had far fewer magazine related problems from metal magazines with anti-tilt followers than I have with plastic mags of any kind.

Only time will tell how well the plastic they use is going to hold up. It's not uncommon at all to see cracks and things just develop on their own in old plastic items. Just look around you in your environment. Dashboards and interior plastic pieces crack with heat/cold cycles, kids toys left in the yard in the rain and weather often fall apart in a year or two, etc etc etc.

That's the main reason that the old zytel Mac 10 and Mac 11 magazines have the bad rep that they do. They just don't hold up long term.

But it's not a bit uncommon to see a WWII magazine with no bluing left on it and you can tell just by looking that it's been through hell and back, but stick it in a gun and it'll work just like it did back in the day when it was new.

Those are just a few of my thoughts on the subject.

Anyone done business with Mark's Armory on the web? He's offering some good prices on ARs parts etc. when he has them in stock. His S&W M&P Sport is about the best that I see. He certainly looks like he's legit and he's mostly focused on AR equipment.

http://www.marksarmory.com/Default.asp

Anyone?? :D

Never heard of it, but I did do a quick reverse phone number lookup that they are showing on their website and here is what yellow pages.com said:

We did not find any business listings for "6607342507" Please revise your search, then select Find or try search people listings .

That's shady enough for me to avoid it.

I've not heard of Mark's Armory.

I'm with John on the phone number, there may be a legit reason for it, but it sounds a little questionable.

TY - apologies for the double post. Getting close to buying and I have my trusted vendor circle but am always looking for a bargain. Sending cash into the unknown interweb zone is not something I generally do.

I'm pounding the net and my local dealers as I am close to having the cash to buy. I'm looking for a good basic AR with the S&W Sport topping the list. Please feel free to post or send me PM about any bargains with trusted dealers that you seee / find.

Thanks!

I ordered a couple mags and a few other things from Mark's Armory the other day. I'd never heard of them before, they came up on a web search. I called right around closing time and was able to get a voicemail. I went ahead and ordered online. Was sent tracking info the next morning and got what I ordered in 2 days.

John A. said:
Never heard of it, but I did do a quick reverse phone number lookup that they are showing on their website and here is what yellow pages.com said:

We did not find any business listings for "6607342507" Please revise your search, then select Find or try search people listings .

That's shady enough for me to avoid it.
I agree, with so many "good" brands, why pick a no name. Here is some more info on them.

From http://cqcounter.com/whois/

Domain Name:marksarmory.com
Created on :1/22/2009 12:00:00 AM
Expires On 1/22/2013 12:00:00 AM
Record last Updated on 11/30/2011 11:31:00 AM

Registrant:
Jessica Stuart
Marks Armory
29945 Hwy 5

Marceline, MO 64658
US
Phone:6607342507 Fax: 6603763460
Email: mark@marksarmory.com

Admin:
Jessica Stuart
Marks Armory
29945 Hwy 5

Marceline, MO 64658
US

Tech:
Jessica Stuart
Marks Armory
29945 Hwy 5

Marceline, MO 64658
US

Billing:
Jessica Stuart
Marks Armory
29945 Hwy 5

Marceline, MO 64658
US

Domain Servers:
ns3.volusion.com
ns4.volusion.com

THIS is what got my attention:

DPMS 5.56 Oracle
List Price: $759.00
Our Price: $619.99
You save $139.01! 1 in stock!

DPMS 5.56/.223 Sportical
List Price: $715.00
You save $95.01! (Out of Stock)

S&W M&P-15 Sport CALIFORNIA COMPLIANT
List Price: $739.00
You save $119.01! (Out of Stock)

Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport Rifle
List Price: $709.00
Our Price: $634.99
You save $74.01! (Out of Stock)

John, I can appreciate your experiences with the magazines, thanks!

Folks...

I ordered my rifle today!!! It could be 3 weeks out though, how will I make it!?

I ordered from my local guy, I prefer to keep my money at home you know?

Rossignol said:
John, I can appreciate your experiences with the magazines, thanks!

Folks...

I ordered my rifle today!!! It could be 3 weeks out though, how will I make it!?

I ordered from my local guy, I prefer to keep my money at home you know?

Congrats Brad!

I hope the next couple weeks go by quickly for you. The waiting can be excruciating, but the end result will be well worth the wait. Keep us posted...

Congrats, Brad.

Nice job at doing your homework and picking a fine AR!! Kudos also for keeping your business local which is very important in these tough times. Hope the time passes quickly for you bro...

I like pictures, but I also want a review of it :mrgreen:

Thank ya Dave!!!

I'll def get pics as soon as its here and review as I go along!!! :D

Rossignol said:
I ordered my rifle today!!!

yes.jpg

:D Thanks Oli!

Here's what I'll be doin with it;

I'll instal the ARMS folding gas block, and MBUS rear. Magpul ASAP sling attachment and F93 Prostock in black and tan. I'll have my Bushnell Trophy 1 x 32 red dot "T" reticle on the flat top, and I've got 6 magazines ready to go, 3 GI aluminum D&H teflon coated with Magpul anti-tilt followers, and 3 Magpul Pmags.

That should do me for awhile and get us sighted in and still have plenty of ammo to get a good feel for the rifle and have some fun!!!

Now, just have to wait for the call sayin my LGS has it in their hands!

Sling ? the 180 rounds will be enough to last you a while ? After you get sighted in that will be about 10 minutes shooting if you savor it.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back