• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Action Rifles

Damn taptalk only allows 3 attachments per post

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324336563.140016.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324336563.140016.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 819
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324336606.491258.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324336606.491258.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 819
My Son wanted to get into some larger caliber bolt actions so I made it happen. I sold my beloved Mini14 and bought 2 Savages, one in 30.06 and the other in 270. The 30.06 is the Savage edge without the acu-trigger but the trigger is nice anyways. The 270 is a Model 111 which is very similar to the edge difference being the edge is matte finish and the 111 is blued. They came packaged with Bushnell 3x9x40 scopes for a real good price. My Son and I have had them out 3 or 4 times already and they are very accurate sweet shooting bolts.

This was the first day out with the 30.06 at 100 yards for starts. I liked these results so much I stopped at the gun shop on the way home and grabbed the 270..

Less than $700 I have two very decent bolts and I only had to kick in around $75, I got $625 for my mini..

Now I'm eying up a Mossberg 4x4 in 300 Win Mag with a nice brake and fluted barrel which is selling for around $650 with 3x9x40 Barska scope. The stock is beautiful!!!

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2

I'm thinking of adding one of these, and have a simple question.
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/carbine

I like the idea of having a 20" barrel (carbine), as this will most likely serve the purpose of filling in as a 'scout' platform - and a brush gun.

Does the extra 4" of the full length rifle barrel (24") really add that much to .308, or has most of the powder already burned by 20"?
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/series_2_synthetic

I know that these are basically Howa 1500's, and have a few in the box already. For the money, I can pick up a Series 1 for about $70 less, but then I give up the 3-position safety, Howa HACT 2-stage trigger, and new stock in the Series 2. I don't think the $70 will go far in bringing the Series 1 into the same ball park. Sure, the new stock isn't a B&C, or a McMillan, etc. But it seems stiffer than the first series stock. Both actions are very smooth, with the nod going a bit to the 2nd series with the 2-stage trigger.

I'm just tossing the barrel lengths back and forth right now. :geek:

Anyone with any experience with these, or with the differences in barrel lengths that can add their .02, would be appreciated.

E

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2

Can't speak specifically on the powder burn, but I'm far more consistent on target with my 20" .308 Remy 700 than I was with the longer 26" Varmint barrel. I didn't get any advantage out of the extra length.

Thank you, Lazy. That's what I was looking for.

I don't have anything locally (in house) to compare two like models with different barrel lengths, so I wasn't really sure if it would make a difference or not.

I know that I need the extra length for any Mag rounds, but with .308, I was thinking the 20" would be more than adequate. Plus it would cut down the weight, too.

Thank you.

Most definitely.

The shorter barrel will allow for better mobility especially if you're using this as a brush gun. As long as you're matching up the twist rate with the proper bullet weight, you should be good to go...

No problem there. I have several flavors in 168 to 175 grn to choose from. Also have some lighter and heavier, but will start with those first to see what it's diet is like.

Can't forget some of these, too...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/24_100_279/products_id/6774
80962.jpg

:lol:

Thanks again for the feedback.

Now just have to make some time to go pick it up ;)

I would suggest the series 2. I was considering getting a Vanguard in .338 and kept hearing terrible things about the trigger on the series 1. I hear the trigger on the series 2 is a lot better, however, hearing so many problems about the series 1 pushed me another direction entirely. I ended up buying my Mossberg 4X4 instead, but I'm still considering a Weatherby for my next rifle. I'm looking at a Vanguard S2 in 257 Weatherby. If you do get it, let me know how that trigger feels. I know Timney makes an aftermarket trigger for it, and that's the route I would take depending on how Weatherby's new design is.

Well, as it turns out - I'm in a holding pattern as the store that had the 20" carbine listed on their web site - actually never had any :x

I've looked at the 24" rifle, and from handling it up close, the trigger system in the Series 2 appears to be the 2-stage HACT trigger by Howa. It feels smooth enough, even though I felt pretty guilty dry-firing the store demos with no Snap caps in the chamber. The action feels very smooth. This also has the 3-position safety -vs- the 2-position in the series 1.

And the factory supposedly GUARANTEES 1 moa in the series 2 guns. I'm still waiting to hear/see what they guarantee out of the 20" carbine.

The stock on the series 2 feels better in the hand than the series 1.

One that I would really like to take a closer look at is the Varmint Special model of the series 2. This has the 22" heavier barrel.

But...for now, it's a waiting game. For the $120 difference in price, I was tempted to buy the series 1 and upgrade the trigger. I guess I could live with the stock for a while, or replace it with a Boyd's or Axiom stock.

Or...take another look at the Howa Varmint model they have, with a fluted 20" heavy barrel, 2-stage match trigger w/ 3-position safety, in a Hogue stock. That one was about $30 more, but also about 2 pounds heavier.

Sux, 'cuz I sold a S&W snubby to make room to add this bolt gun. Now the $$'s are calling out to me to spend them :lol:

Decisions, decisions....would have been so much easier if they had the carbine :roll:

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 - in 308 Win (or 7.62 x 51 NATO for you Zombies and Mayan Hunters) :lol:

Redfield scope 3-9 x 40 in Leupold bases and rings (Med) - Scope was made (assembled) right here in Beaverton, Oregon - (MADE IN THE USA) and lifetime warranty is only 30 minutes from my house ;)

wthrby1.jpg

wthrby5.jpg

wthrby4.jpg

and from the business end of things...

wthrby8.jpg
;)

Sorry, not as good a photo-man as LES ;) Just wanted to get some photos taken as I just had the scope mounted and bore sighted. Won't be able to get to the range for a bit yet, so limited to fondling it for now :lol:

Thank you. The more I mess with it, the more I really do like it. I almost went with the 1st generation model, but I'm glad I waited for this one. The trigger is much smoother than on the 1st gen, even if it is a 2-stage. On my scale, I'm guessing that 1st stage is about .5 take up, and break is a little over 2.5, so under 3lbs for a shot. Not too bad, and very smooth. Plus it's adjustable.

I do like the 3 position safety, being able to lock the trigger and bolt, just the trigger, or fire mode. The center position locks the trigger, but you can still work the bolt for loading or unloading. Plus it has the hinged floor plate if you need to dump rounds.

It does have the 24" barrel, hammer forged, and Sub-MOA guarantee. We'll see how accurate that is when I get out to shoot it. I would have liked a little shorter barrel, but not sure how long before the carbine or Varmint Special are coming out. The carbine model is 20", the varmint special is a 22" heavier contour barrel.

The stock has the so-called 'Griptonite' panels, with palm swells in the grip. Very comfortable, and would make for more a no-slip surface in the rain. I do like Weatherby's stock design, with the Monte carlo stock. The raised portion for the cheek weld seems like it will perform well for redirecting recoil away from your face - again we'll see how that works.

I will be mounting a Caldwell pivot bipod to the front end. Was going to go with a Harris, but for the price, I could buy 2 Caldwells ;)

Picked up an Allen Cobra sling for it, was under $16 at Wholesale Sports. The Allen rifle case has been laying around since I picked up a couple Pelican cases for the other tools.

So all in all, under $800 for everything (excluding ammo), I'm happy. Sure, it's not an uber-tacti-cool looking zombie sniper - but I'm sure if push came to shove, it would get the job done just fine. ;)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Great lookin rifle mister_e. Congrats!

Thanks, Lazy. I really wanted to pick up something to work more as a 'scout' platform, but this was too good to pass on.

I may still have this one chopped down to 20" and re-crowned and threaded. But I think I might wait for the Varmint Special to do that to, if I do it. That has the heavier contour barrel, about .74" if I remember right.

Just waiting for a chance to get out and shoot it. ;)

Ruger M77 in 7mm mag

I came across this rifle today for sale used ( $499). It didn't show much use apart from some scratches on the stock. What do you guys know about this model or caliber? Is it a good price for it? Any information you have on it will be greatly appreciated. :)

Re: Ruger M77 in 7mm mag

Ruger M77 is one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. There is an old style and new style with the safety in a different spot being the biggest difference. The triggers are good but the older ones are better and easier to polish. The 7mm mag is also a good round. It is a very flat shooting cartridge with good power sub 30 cal. It is meant to stretch out for longer shots like hunting antelope or something where you’re past a couple hundred yards. You can bring down any North American game animal with a 7mm mag. There was a little gun fight a couple houses down from a place I lived in a small town here , one guy shot the other with a 9mm in the knee but a glancing blow, he shot the guy with a 7mm mag ,from the hip, hit the other guy in the hip and killed him …one shot to the hip at hallway distance.

I have a M77 in 30-06 and it is a proven killer

Re: Ruger M77 in 7mm mag

My Pop's old deer rifle is a Ruger M77 in .30-06...

He absolutely loves his and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Back