• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Clutch Head Screws on the Safety! Damnit!

jaggedx

.22LR
Ok, I got my Harris Tactical Safety in the mail this week. It looks good, well made and even comes with an allen wrench to secure the screw. Nice.

I go to unscrew the safety on my 930 SPX Blackwater and the damn thing has a tamper proof "clutch head" screw! WFT? Are you kidding me! Here's a pic of the type I'm talking about:

ymbvR.jpg

With the problems I'm having all the sudden with my magazine extension and loading a full magazine, now this? My Mossy is pissing me off!!! :twisted:

jaggedx said:
Ok, I got my Harris Tactical Safety in the mail this week. It looks good, well made and even comes with an allen wrench to secure the screw. Nice.

I go to unscrew the safety on my 930 SPX Blackwater and the damn thing has a tamper proof "clutch head" screw! WFT? Are you kidding me! Here's a pic of the type I'm talking about:

ymbvR.jpg

With the problems I'm having all the sudden with my magazine extension and loading a full magazine, now this? My Mossy is pissing me off!!! :twisted:

There's a post on here somewhere about this, here is what I did, pretty simple, but you have to take your time so parts don't go flying.
a. tape down the original safety, has a ball / spring underneath and you don't want it flying away once you release the screw
b. Once you tape down the safety, take a pair of pliers and carefully break-off the current plastic safety, leaving just the screw. (taping the receiver will prevent scratches for this step)
c. now that just the screw is exposed (again tape the plate down so it doesn't pop off), just use pliers to unscrew that funky screw. Making sure everything is held down, just put your new one on and screw it in.

If I remember correctly, others have dremeled a notch in the screw . . . that might be easier. Good luck.

Brand new 930s have the Vang Comp Safety on them. Not sure what screw they are using on them though. We've been shipping safeties to them for about 6 weeks now.

A quality flattip screwdriver will remove the screw easily enough with downward pressure. I have done alot of these and never had to use a dremmel to make a slot, or tear the safety off in the process. Pull the bolt to the rear and parts will not fall into the receiver. Remove the saftey over a light colored towel as there is a small detent spring and ball that is easy to lose. A smidge of grease will hold these in place when you install your new safety. Remember to add a threadlocker of some sort. I use bowstring wax on the threads. Keeps them from rusting and I have never had one back out.

My 2000 'ish mossy 500 came with one of those tamper resistant screws too. I also thought WTF?

I got my first Mossberg 500 in 1989. It had the same screw then and I imagine that Mossberg will keep using the same screw for years to come.

Working slowly with a flathead screrwdriver has worked well for me. Key is to use a good screwdriver (not one that has been rounded off) and keep constant but not too much downward pressure on the screw while turning.

I sawed the damn thing off and then twisted the screw off with pliers. I have an ETA safety on both of my Mossbergs.

Working slowly with a flathead screrwdriver has worked well for me. Key is to use a good screwdriver (not one that has been rounded off) and keep constant but not too much downward pressure on the screw while turning.
I used the same method when i put a vang comp safety on my 500

When I went to change the one on my 930 SPX, that screw was so tight I couldn't budge it with a screwdriver. I stuck a small flat-blade screwdriver under the plastic safety and broke it in half. It's pretty convenient that the weakest spot is right at the screw hole. :cool: I used a pair of pliers to get the screw started out & finished with my fingers.

The screw on my 500 was pretty loose. The screwdriver took it out with only moderate pressure.

I just put the Pro Mag 262 enhanced safety on my 500 and 590. The screw in the 500 had thread locker on it and with the clutch head screw there was no way to get it off so I broke the plastic safety button and removed the screw with a small vise grips. It turned so hard I was worried that the screw would break off. The 590 came out with very little effort. Thanks to whoever posted the proper replacement screw size, I picked up some socket head cap screws to replace the troublesome clutch head screws.

It really makes a guy wonder who exactly Mossberg is trying to prevent from removing the safety screw! haha

Yet again, on my 935, one of the two screws that hold the safety control mechanism in (behind the stock extension) was actually seared off and nowhere to be found. So maybe the screws that are hidden behind the stock have Phillips heads and the screws in plain sight on the top of the gun have the security screw so that they can't be removed. The arbitrary rationality is quite comical really.

It seems like Mossberg engineers really thought that one out to be the most convenient for consumers to fix all the parts that are broken. It all makes sense now! lol

CaddmannQ,

Exactly! Why would they use this type of screw head? I am very curious as to their motivation for this seemingly irrational decision.

Back