• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rossi's Complete AR... Mod.

Well John, as you can see by my AR...I'm no gear whore either !!

I swap out the red dot for a 4x scope sometimes...and still use iron myself. And the bayo, well...I wasn't gonna use the gun as a spear anyway.

By the way, just got my screen named changed on OA2 to what I use here, that way Brad doesn't get confused !!

;)

Yea...it's gotta be dark in his neck of the woods by now...probably tweakin' the video before show time !

Looking forward to another great vid, Bro !! I know that Oly treated you to a good time...

SHOOTER13 said:
Well John, as you can see by my AR...I'm no gear whore either !!

I swap out the red dot for a 4x scope sometimes...and still use iron myself. And the bayo, well...I wasn't gonna use the gun as a spear anyway.

By the way, just got my screen named changed on OA2 to what I use here, that way Brad doesn't get confused !!

;)

I noticed Rattler and GM mentioning the screen name change. No worries. Most of the forums I belong to are all the same too, except for 1 and I don't know what possessed me to use that screen name :lol:

Besides various optics, I also like irons, and a front grip (usually) and a light on my serious guns. Besides those few accy's, mine are getting a lot more simple and I'm concentrating more on basic needs.

Yea...that was old nomenclature...2004 to be exact !

How long you been on that board...?

ya know... it's been so long I couldn't remember so I cheated and looked at my user profile.

Funny thing is I remember talking to you there in the past, I just didn't know it was you.

No kiddin' !! It's funny because when you joined, I remembered your avatar...slightly different background.

Guess we should stop hi-jacking Rossignols thread...huh ?!

Hey fellas! Yeah, its dark here. It has been for a few hours now.

We got in around 7:30 after packin up from the "range" around 6 or so. Just been busy. Had to eat some dinner, kids had chores...

We got some video for sure! and some pics. I havent even begun to go through the video...

Recoil? What recoil? :lol: It was a dream to shoot! I'll put it all together over the next few days, but I'll give yall the short story for now.

We sighted it at 25 yards. Now, we arent rifle shooters... it took us more than 3 rounds, but less than 50!!! :lol: Ok, it was like 12. By 18 we felt pretty good about it! :D

We didnt bench the rifle, Allison shot without aid other than kneeling at first, but I used the sling. Dang... the best we got to was 3 rounds in one inch. That was breathing and shooting, fingertip on the trigger, no anticipation of recoil. Well mostly. The first couple times I went to fire and forgot to thumb off the safety I found myself wanting to lean into it! But We got better!

So whats holding us back now is our abilty to shoot. We kinda suck right now! ;) But we'll work on it. I think Ally actually had a tighter group between us. At one point we set up 2 targets side x side. I used half a magazine and she fired the other half. She had all but one round in the black rings around the bull with one shot touching the bull. I dont know how big the circle is on our correction targets... Theyre 100 yard targets, I like them to pattern buckshot. I guess its something like a 6 or 8" circle...

We fired both Federal XM193 55 gr. FMJ and Hornady TAP FPD 55 gr. with the polymer tip in the nickel case. Both performed equally well in my very limited knowledge of how all this works, but we grouped each about the same.

There were a couple of feed issues where the bolt locked open... I feel that was due to not having cleaned the rifle before shooting. :oops: I kinda know better than to expect that to go well. This happened maybe 5 or 6 times total through about 200 rounds. Otherwise it was smooth and worked the way its supposed to! Heck, I even got the gas block in the right place on my first try so it actually cycled semi-auto the way its supposed to!!! :D I'm also using that M1907 on the sling swivel thats attached to the gas block so I guess I got it tight enough cuz it didnt move under the side force I applied to it while pulling against the sling!

Now in the past, well and in the present too and likely into the future, I've been hard on my shotguns in that I dont often clean them cuz I like to see them continue firing with debris in them. I wont be able to do that with the AR I dont think... At least it comes apart easy, faster in fact than my 590A1.

So for now... whaddya wanna call it? The way we're shootin its about a seven MOA gun? :lol: yeah right, we wont get that close! :D The coyotes are gonna be safe from us, (or at least us using a rifle), for now!

Nah, we had a good time! Our range today was the farm and Ally got video of me nearly falling over! I was shooting the 500 Persuader and was perched with my heel on the edge of a hole left by a cow hoof! After firing I tried to stand up straight or step back or something and kinda tripped into the hole!!!

I'm not gonna get to any video tonight, yall are gonna have to wait. :D

Later!

Sounds like you got to heat it up a bit Brad!

Glad it went well for you two and thanks for the review, you've got me lookin forward to more...

Rossignol said:
There were a couple of feed issues where the bolt locked open... I feel that was due to not having cleaned the rifle before shooting. :oops: I kinda know better than to expect that to go well. This happened maybe 5 or 6 times total through about 200 rounds.

If this happened when the magazine was empty, that's completely normal and desirable.

The follower of an empty magazine physically pushes the bolt catch up, which locks the bolt open so when you insert the new magazine all you have to do is hit the bolt release to manually load the gun again.

The bolt catch is a time saving feature when you're reloading.

So if you want to try it, insert an empty magazine and pull the charging handle all the way back to cock it and when you release it, the bolt shouldn't close all the way.

Go ahead and manually push the charging handle all the way in until it clicks closed and then push the bolt release button in, and at that point, it should let the bolt slam on home, and thus if the magazine were loaded, chambering a new round.

Was the mag empty when it was locking open? Or something else?

But with any new gun (and a lot of other things I can think of off the top of my head), sometimes it takes shooting it some to smooth out all the contact surfaces and to knock some of the "new" off of it.

Just remember to keep the bolt oiled up well. This especially helps the first little while as everything is getting broke-in.

I'm also looking forward to the pics and video.

Thank you gentlemen!

We def had a real good time!

John,the magazines still had rounds in them. The bolt would lock back just as it would as if the magazine were empty. Like I was sayin and what you touched on, I think it could use a cleanin and some oil. And I expect some break in time too could help.

Heres a single pic for now! ;)

100_6394.jpg

Weird, Howd those Mossbergs get in there? Those silly Mossbergs!!! :lol:

Heres one of Allisons targets. I get that it isnt altogether impressive... but neither of us have really done any rifle shooting before.

What she was doin here was firing and then firing again as soon as she recovered and saw the crosshair on target. Pretty decent to me! These are the 100 yd. sighting in targets i mentioned. The black rings around the bull are 6" in diameter. She only had one round outside that circle.

100_6405Small.jpg

100_6403Small.jpg

nice shooting ANR !

How sweet is that AR ! Isn’t that one of the nicest shooting guns you ever held on your shoulder?
I love the 223/556 round too, it has a nice pop to it.

She does catch on pretty quickly I think! We're learning together as we go, but shes shootin the rifle at least as well as I do!

Oli, It feels great!!! :D

I have video of her shooting to go with that target, but I keep fallinng asleep when I get on here at night! :lol:

Glad to see you're enjoying that AR Brad. They are a blast to shoot and the 5.56 round has a nice POP to it especially the 16" barrels.

Get some vids up, I enjoy showing my daughter how well Ali does with the 12ga and the AR should be equally cool!!!

BTW, That AR looks great!!!! Nice job on your first one... :cool:

Yes...she is !! Not bad at all Rossy...offhand, not rested...at 25 yards.

As John and the others have said, you'll get use to it. Some AR's like to run wet too...so don't be stingy with lubing the bolt.

And have fun...

Thank you fellas! I'll def remember that about the oil! I did the same thing first time I went out with my 1911... not enough oil. Oh well, live and learn I guess! :D

Sooo, the vids. I keep falling asleep and havent edited anything. BUT!!! I do have the vid of Allison shooting that goes with that target! Its on photobucket, so you have to click the link!

Allison firing the OA

Back