• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! I've been wanting one of those for a while. Check out a company called north eastern arms for some quality parts.

Very popular rifle in Canada since we aren't allowed to have AK's.

They can be found here for around $695 (w/sling,bayonet,multiple mags, cleaning kit)

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Arsenal SGL31-94

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

bellofello said:
Nice! I've been wanting one of those for a while. Check out a company called north eastern arms for some quality parts.

Very popular rifle in Canada since we aren't allowed to have AK's.

They can be found here for around $695 (w/sling,bayonet,multiple mags, cleaning kit)

What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

around $700 shipped. with 2 stock sets and 2 mags.

DSCN0096.jpg

Just your basic Yugo underfolder, Thing is a lot heavier than it looks. It has the thicker steel in the receiver and heavy front trunion. I replaced the long expired commie tritium sights with some fresh tritium sights. so now they glow, like they are suposed too...

Thanks LES!
Things a frigging tank...LOL
When I can get around to it I want to change out the grip set, Watched the extreme video where a guy shot one to the point where the fore end caught fire. I'm probably never going to get one to that point, but I'd like to get a wood forend for it and maybe do something with the grip.

I think I've seen that video. Was it the one where he ran through several drum mags in full auto? I've had mine heated up to the point it was smoking and I seriously thought it was gonna end up in flames, but it never did.

I ended up completely restoring my Romy with original Romanian military surplus wood furniture. Got the complete set from northridgeinc.com for $39.95...

Romanian AKM Wood Stock Set

You may not need the stock, but for $40 this set is hard to beat. You'll likely end up spending at least that for just an upper and lower hand guard set. There are other sets available on their site if you're not interested in the Romy style handguard. The finish was in rough shape when the furniture arrived, but it made a fun weekend project. This set ships with wood only, so you'd need to use the internal heat shields and hardware from your current furniture. Here's the set after I got it sanded down...

...and here it is after a couple coats of red mahogany...

LES,
Thats an awesome job you did on the stock set! That has to be one of the best stock finishes I've seen done on an AK.

Problem with finding a forend for a yugo is that the yugo forend is longer than a standard AK forend. Though...It would be nice if I could pick up a stock set for 40 bucks...

Well thank you Sir.

It sure was a fun project. I'll do some lookin around and see what I can come up with on Yugo handguards...

Well, the impossible happened today. My fiancee told me she wants me to buy a gun... She doesn't like the weight of my Mosin Nagant or Mossy 500 and she doesn't like the recoil of my S&W 642. She does like my XD and my Ruger MK III, but she wants me to have a long gun that she enjoys. I asked what she has enjoyed shooting and she said she liked my friend's AK47 and AR15. I was looking at the Century Arms wasr-10 at the store today and she held it and said she liked the feel of it. I have read some reviews that have been positive, but also a good amount of negative reviews. What should I look for before I buy it if I decide to get one? I want it to be a good idea to buy one, but I would hate to be stuck with a junk gun. This would be mostly used as a range gun, but I would like to have the option of using it as a hog/deer gun.

Honkey, here are some points I listed earlier in the thread:

MikeD said:
A couple things to look for based on my experiences with the WASR-10's from Dunhams

• Make sure the front sight is square, they are often canted. It can be fixed but it iseasier to find one that is square to begin with as they are pinned in place.
  • Check play in the magwell, they often remove too much metal and there is a lot of slop in the magazine. A little is OK but too much and you will have some feeding issues. How much is OK is a judgement call you will have to make. Mine wobbles just a tad but it has not affected function at all. I looked a several and mine seemed the tightest of what they had. If you are adventurous you can buy a single stack and dremmel it out yourself to get the best fit.
  • Make sure the bolt does not catch anywhere and moves freely throughout it's entire range. When new you will see a little friction but that should go away after a few hundred rounds. Just make sure there arent any serious problems where parts seem out of alignment. I looked a one that would jam up half way every time I pulled the bolt back and released it.

Hey honkey,

The Romy I posted above is a CA WASR-10. I stopped counting at around 2000 rounds and she's still spit'n em out just like new...

Awesome... I very nearly bought one today. A store near me keeps them in stock and sells them for $490. I decided on reloading equipment instead since I kept accidentally putting that off and buying guns, but I need to make shooting the guns more affordable and I needed another DIY hobby.
I actually had it in my hand and was carrying it to the counter and had to remind myself to stay focused on reloading. I am going to check a gun show next week and see if I can beat that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back