• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rossi's Complete AR... Mod.

I've been workin on this off and on for the better part of this past week, even though there isnt much to it. Just shooting, no commentary and no review. And I edited out the turkeys! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqamE1hPim4[/youtube]

Thanks fellas! We did have a good time, still getting aquainted with the rifle...

Gonna bench it next time out and make sure I got the sights right. I did finally clean it real good, got the grease out and I mean REALLY cleaned it, and oiled it. Ready to go again! ;)

Looking real good man!!!!! Let Allison know she is a great roll model to girls and especially my Daughter Meghan whom enjoys watching her shoot and loves how cool and calm she is with a 12GA, 45 and now the AR..

Ya never realize how quick you can burn through ammo until you start feeding an AR with 30rnd mags. 200rnds can go pretty quick between my Son and I so we've been holding back on our trips to the club so we can go with 300-400rnds and stay for a while. I'm sitting on a bit now and can't wait for the clocks to go forward tomorrow night so we get the extra light for range time after work. Tuesday is my favorite day to go to the club being that it's usually quiet with the skeet and clubhouse being closed.

Thanks Dave! Though I had never thought of her like that, and I know she doesnt either, but will certainly be able to appreciate it, and I'll let her know!!! Thanks again for that!

I like, and she does too, when we grown ups see her shoot and see that shes pretty decent and in some cases showin guys up! :lol: You know, its happened on a couple occassions now shes hit the bull and I havent. I settled her down though one day when from seven yards I fired one round unsupported right hand only and hit the bullseye with our .45! I had to make sure she still knows I've got it! :lol:

Anyhow, we really are learnin all this stuff together. For us, we see as a valuable skill set, to protect against predators and put food on the table as well as self defense should it ever become necessary.

And YES! The rounds can go quickly! I never shoot everything i have and try to buy a little at a time just whenever I'm able. We went through 200 rounds in a relatively short period of time. It really went fast when we started firing and re-aquiring the target and fire again, which is most of what you see in the video with the exception of the first little bit. Allison loves just pullin the trigger, which is fine as long as shes getting on target and she showed me she can!

I really wanna get to some of the nOOb issues I had as I was switchin parts around... but my head is killin me and I dont know I can lay it out in a way it makes sense right now... But I will, I promise!!! This wouldnt be a proper mod/build thread if I dont! ;)

...and I hope I wasnt rambling too much in the above, stupid crappy headaches.

Fellas, just got back in from the farm! I've got pics, I've got video... and I've got a bunch of uploading to do yet.

Short story though, it was just totally flippin awesome!!! We got it dialed in tight, and then we set up a post right around 80 yards out and put clays on it. With irons only, I hit the first clay on my first shot! I'm thoroughly pleased and excited! We had benched it, I made a couple small adjustments and it was good to go, so thats when we decided to move out to 80 yards!

Unfortunately, Allison refused to shoot video while I was firing, and I was shooting way too much video of her for her preference... but whats really cool, is SHE DID THE SAME THING!!! One shot, one hit, split the clay in two! But again, no video. Cuz Allison is a turd in the punch bowl.

I still have pics and video though which I'll post up as soon as I'm able!

OH! and as an update. No fail to feed, no fail to eject! Seems issues are solved and everything was smooth! What I did after your recommendation John, is I ran the buffer tube in another full turn so it just overlaps the base of the buffer retaining pin instead of being pressed against it to remove the possibility of the bolt catching it. I also oiled it slick! Not a single issue!!! Just pure fun!

Man, we fired a Mosin, a Kel-Tec AR pistol, Glock 23 .40, Taurus 2" Public Defender .410/.45 LC, Mossberg 500 20" Persuader, Mossberg 590A1 20", Mossberg 500 .410 24", Springfield Armory 1911 .45 ACP, and of course my OA!!! It was a great day out! But now we need more ammo... I never use it all, but we wont be doin another day like this with out restocking! :D

Dang bro, that sounds like a GREAT day!

I love outings like that. There's a trip out to my buddy's farm coming up in the near future where we'll be runnin and gunnin all day long. I can't wait! Congrats on all the fun and the outstanding clay busting...

Poppin clays at 80 yards with irons...

Sounds like everything is ready now :mrgreen:

And as far as the bolt locking open, I learned what the symptom and cause was the hard way the first time I exchanged a stock, so I knew what it was as soon as you mentioned it and why I was inclined to pass that on to you to save you from pulling your hair out troubleshooting an intermittent problem.

Been there, done that. :lol:

So its been awhile since an update. Not a bunch to tell... the rifle has been shootin great with little exception after switchin to different ammo to try out. It was Fed 100 round bulk pack and it just fired weird compared to everything else we've fired through it. Even the TulAmmo fired fine and rather similarly to the AETAC.223 and Fed Lake City 5.56 NATO (each have been 55 gr.) The fed bulk ammo was bad enough I thought I had knocked my sights out of alignment!

Heres my situation. I'm findin my eyes really arent good enough lookin out to 80 + yards and I could def benefit from some magnification.

What I'm thinkin about not specifically in any order;

Id rather not like to loose the use of my irons, which can be overcome with the use of a QR throw lever cantilever mount in some cases. The con is that it would have to be removed anytime I wanna use irons. Not a big deal, but I'd have to stow it somewhere.

I could go with something like an EOTech with flip up magnifier. I could cowitness my irons and have the magnification available. Con here is the cost and a mild concern is how solid and durable is the magifier piece when its flipped to the side?

Heres what I'm lookin at;
Cantilever Mounts

SWFA S.S.A.L.T
main-ssalt_05.png

A.R.M.S.® #72Ext-LII 5.56 Cal. MKII Lever® Mount
view_file.asp

AD Recon Mount
img

And the optics

Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R 30mm Riflescope
media.nl

EOTech HHS1
HHSI_FrontLeftHresweb.JPG

These are really the only two optics I'm lookin at right now, and the EOTech is pricey, but includes the mount, allows me to cowitness with irons, and this particular EOTech's reticle is designed to accomodate the ballistics of the .223/5.56. The Leupy is less expensive even with having to purchase a mount. It would be a couple hundred dollars less in the end, but I wouldnt be able to use irons without removing it.

I'm all about suggestions, experiences, and advice!!! Thanks! :D

Look at Nikon offset mounts. The less expensive set are two independent units and the rear can be reversed to free up rail space. I'm adding an adjustable scope (1.5-4.5x32) for 3 Gun and going with 45 degree BUIS and may have that sorted and ready for the range Wed. I was keeping quiet until it was fitted and sorted but it looks like it's AOK. Getting to zero on 45 degrees should be interesting but I will be bore sighting tomorrow. Pics to follow. I'm in a lower price range than you but the goals are good to compare. I bought a Bushnell Banner and the iron (aluminum) sights were on the gun with my Vortex red dot. I needed a setup for over 100m so I started tinkering again.

Mako makes an inexpensive magnifier.

And if you could find a Bushnell Holosight, is an Eotech without the protective hood. I have an AA and N cell battery models.

You'd still be in about 300 bucks that route though.

Dont let my price range fool ya, its more of a goal that will take me a year to accomplish! :lol: This is why I'm open to other ideas...

I'll be lookin into the other things mentioned!

Having a tough time getting the 45degree sights to zero. Close but time at the range tomorrow will tell. Bore sighting through the house and out yhe back yard to the garage is a basic start at best. Had to take a dremel to the rear sight - small conflict with the scope. Hope to have range report and Photos tomorrow. :)

I believe I've decide which way I wanna go with all this. While Allison would love for me to get an EOTech with magnifier, I wanna do the Leupy vairable power VX-R 2-7x33 with illuminated ballistic firedot reticle. It wont cowitness to set up, but oh well, just have to do it the old fashioned way I guess. Nor will I be able to use my sights through it, again, Oh well. I can deal with it.

I wanna mount it on the cantilever Leupy mount pictured above, buy everything from the same place (SWFA) and have Leupolds lifetime gaurantee.

My goal is to get it as far forward as possible on the A3 upper without the benefit of a free floated railed handguard or MRP. Eye relief is supposed to be pretty decent with it pushed out on just the upper though.

Oh yeah, this plan is still a little ways out, so it may "evolve" somewhat with time... :D

sweet, it would be a tough choice between that and the one they have with mil dots set up for 223/556 drop at yards.....sometimes I hate choices.
I have more Leopold’s than any other scope and I really don’t see how the more expensive offerings are worth that much more, my eyes can’t detect a difference worth a 1000 bucks anyway lol.
I can tell a substantial difference looking through a cheap scope though. The Leopold’s gather light way better than the bargain scopes and doesn’t lose much to the expensive scopes.

Oli, i think the EOTech with mil-dots may yet happen one day, but i can justify the cost of the Leupy sooner ... I think! :lol:

Good to hear you like the Leupolds, Oli! Thanks!

Back