• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Just bought Mossberg 500 Persuader

homedefense

Copper BB
Just picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it. Seems very accurate and smooth. Haven't had a chance to real dive into it yer, but I will. I was impressed the the gun so far. I was only using some light target loads, but the recoil was not as bad as I expected.

Any suggestions on the best/smartest load for home defense use?

Attachments

• Mossberg Model 500 12 Ga Persuader.jpg
    Mossberg Model 500 12 Ga Persuader.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 401
Welcome from MI!!!

Congrats and welcome. Do some reading around the site for ammo results and theory as applied to home defense. There are as many opinions as there are choices. Help us help you by painting us a picture of you situation.
Family in the house?
House vs apartment?
City, subs, rural?
Bad part of town ?

Things like that. You can start another topic in the Ammunition section if you want

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 500!

Here's a good starting point for your ammo search...

Best Self-Defense Round for Shotguns

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so thanks for posting the photo of your 500 Persuader. Be sure to post up some pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Hello HD, welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I sure do love the Persuader!!! I have an 8 shot model, a number of years old now. I dont use it that often but I had it out last weekend for ammo testing as a matter of fact!

I posted a video in the ammunition section under "Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck"... Thats just one example of the ammo reviews members have contributed to the site, there are quite a few more!!!

Take a look around, if you dont find anything helpful, dont be afraid to start another thread, and as Oli mentioned, let us know some of your story! Theres no one right answer to satisfy every condition...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum homedefense !!

Congrats on the new Mossy...

Thanks to all for the welcome. I will check out some of the ammo threads for tips/ideas, but here is some basic info regarding my question:
Live in a house, wife and 2 kids live me, live in town..but on 4 acres so neighbors are not a major safety consideration, good neighborhood, but random car and home breakins are increasing all over town.
We have even had at least law enforcement vehicles broken into in the last few weeks...AR15, long rifles, ammo, bullet-proof vests taken from the patrol cars AT THE OFFICER'S HOUSE!!!!! Bad guys are gettin balls-ee around here.

This looks like a great forum...lookin forward to learning more here.

Thanks again

HD, thats kinda the story all over. Folks gettin more and more desperate and criminals gettin braver.

While we cant say what will work best for you, we have certainly tried to compile as much info and advice as possible to help folks make informed and educated decisions regarding their needs and we're always lookin to expand on what we have!

Welcome to the forum!

homedefense said:
Just picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Took it to the range and put about 50 rounds through it. Seems very accurate and smooth. Haven't had a chance to real dive into it yer, but I will.

Just an FYI.
Diving into a new gun should be done before firing.
New guns need to be cleaned to remove any of the factory COSMOLINE. Looks like grease but it is a rust preventative.

Good luck with your new gun.The 500 is the best platform out there!
INEXPENSIVE & INDESTRUCTIBLE. A WINNING COMBINATION! :D

Ah yes... I agree with LTB, break it down and clean it. Youll enjoy your first trip out much more!

From experience, a poorly cleaned and oiled gun feels sticky and sluggish. Good news is, once the cosmoline is out, it requires very little oil to make it smooth and after that its a matter of breakin.

After your first few times out, youll wanna break it down and clean pretty thoroughly. I shouldnt be used as the example here, but my guns are pretty slick and I dont clean them after each time I shoot. I did when they were still fairly new cuz they felt like they needed it.

I hate cleaning guns. But I will always clean them when they are new. I failed at this once and paid the price. My 930 was turned into a single shot on the skeet range as a result. I won't make that mistake again.

FWIW my 500 has been run for about two years now with being cleaned. My 870 has not been cleaned in close to 20 years (it has been wiped down when used in the rain to prevent rust) and my Glock has not been cleaned since I bought it (close to 4K rounds so far). ALL of them do get lubed regularly. I've not had a sigle FTF in any of them. I know several people are cringing in in their boots to hear me say this but most guns will run quite well by just keeping them lubed. (Bookmark this so you can point it out when I do have a failure. LOL)

My .22lr's seem to need a buit more attention or else they jam up

I am not real big on cleaning my pump guns either. They get shot every weekend. 200 rounds shooting Skeet on Saturday and Sunday. Cleaning about once a month.
When Trap season starts (Real Soon) I will be shooting my 1100 all weekend. Now that gun will get cleaned EVERY Sunday night. It has to be 100% reliable!
As for my handguns, they get cleaned. They also need to be 100% reliable, my life may depend on it!

New gun owners really need to KNOW that they should clean their guns before firing.
Hopefully we can get the message out on the forums we post on to save newbies a few headaches.

Yep, to save a few headaches, LTB. Youre absolutely right!

Theres nothin like gettin all geared up to head to the range and be all excited, then you fire and the action sticks, or it wont eject a shell and every time you cycle the action its like short stokin it! I still short stroke my guns but it isnt from the gun not bein clean, thats just operator error as can be seen in my vids if you wanna laugh at me for a few minutes! :D Shells dont feed from the magazine right, or you get the weird occassional double feed... what a pain in the butt!!!

Good point about cleaning before hand. I should have broken it down, but I guess I just wanted to get out there and put a few rounds through. Got lucky in that I didn't have any trouble.
Since then, I have stripped it, cleaned, lubed. It was my first time stripping down a shotgun, but it was pretty easy once I got into it. Took it down and back together a couple of times after I finished cleaning just to get more comfortable/familiar with the gun/parts/process.
Thanks for all of the great advice and pointers.

homedefense said:
Took it down and back together a couple of times after I finished cleaning just to get more comfortable/familiar with the gun/parts/process.

PERFECT!
The best way to learn your guns is from the inside out :D

As I said earlier. This is the BEST pump gun on the market for my money.
I have 3 500's now and always looking for deals on more.
Enjoy yours!

Hello and welcome fellow new guy! I've got a 500 too! I've heard everything from birdshot to buckshot is ok for home defense. As for me and my 500, I've got birdshot up the spout, and if that does'nt get their attention I've got five #4 buck shells in the magazine. Once again welcome!

Howdy homedefense and welcome to the club!

Back