• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are Atrocities Part of War

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
This is an article I was reading today on Military.com. Here's the link, but I'll post it for you non-clickers. http://www.military.com/news/article/ar ... SRC=dod.nl

Bryant Jordan @ Military.com said:
Satellite

The images capture the darker side of a decade of war: A smiling Marine hurls a puppy off a cliff. Airmen cheer as a goat is beaten to death with a metal pipe. Scout snipers pose before a flag bearing the symbol of the Nazi SS runes. Marines urinate on bodies of dead insurgents.

Each time such images appear, they raise questions about how they happened. How are American troops capable of such acts? How did leadership tolerate an environment that allowed them?

“You don’t get a pass for acting stupidly because you’ve been in a war,” said retired Army colonel and Medal of Honor recipient Jack Jacobs, today an NBC News consultant and author of the memoir, “If Not Now, When?”. Jacobs recalls that he saw 90 consecutive days of combat during one tour in Vietnam and saw many Americans die. But he says he never crossed the line.

“Anytime someone does something illegal or immoral, he knows it’s the wrong thing to do,” he told Military.com. “Urinating on corpses cannot be ascribed to having too many tours downrange.”

But the bigger issue is the lack of leadership, according to Jacobs. Where, he asked, are the noncommissioned officers, the lieutenants, the company commanders, and the battalion commanders?

“It’s difficult to envision how somebody can have an organization where this kind of behavior can occur without having, either by commission or omission, fostered that kind of environment,” he said. “Where leadership is poor, you’ll have otherwise decent people do reprehensible things. Where leadership is good, you might have people who might otherwise do reprehensible things not do them.”

Sebastian Junger, author of “War” and co-director -- with the late photojournalist Tim Hetherington of the documentary film “Restrepo,” – said the national response to the controversial photos and videos is “morally hypocritical.”

“If we’re going to be upset at urinating on corpses, we’ve got to have a serious conversation with ourselves about what’s been going on for the last 10 years,” he said. Junger, whose book and film were based on time he spent with an Army platoon at a remote outpost in Afghanistan’s deadly Korengal Valley in 2008 and 2009, chronicled not only the combat but also the sometimes bizarre behavior of the soldiers, which included almost ritual-like beatings of each other.

Over a decade, a great many people have died from American weapons, but the country doesn’t want to face that “on a spiritual level,” Junger said. “But the soldiers have to face it because they’re the ones doing it. And sometimes it makes them act out in all kinds of troubled ways.”

What’s more, the past decade has taught troops that the old rules don’t apply or can be ignored, starting with the sanctioning of so-called “enhanced interrogation” techniques such as waterboarding during the Bush administration, says Junger.

“At any other time, we’d call this torture,” he said. “There’s hypocrisy in telling young people to go off and kill -- that doesn’t bother us, we don’t want to have a conversation about that. But if you do anything ‘unseemly’ we come down on you like a ton of bricks.”

The investigations into the goat beating and the urinating on Taliban dead are still ongoing.

The Marine who tossed the puppy over the cliff, along with the Marine who filmed it, were booted from the Corps. The Marines who adopted the Nazi SS runes have been reassigned, according to the Corps, though officials did not say if any were disciplined. Since the photo came to light last month, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has ordered a new investigation.

The Vietnam War came into American living rooms nightly via television in the 1960s and 1970s, and the public was exposed to the grisly impulses of some troops, including the killings of innocent civilians.

Newsman Eric Sevareid revealed that, as a war correspondent during World War II, he witnessed American troops routinely killing captured Germans and even Italian civilians, according to Bing West, a Vietnam veteran and former Assistant Secretary of Defense, who cited Sevareid in his book, “The Wrong War.”

Author Eugene Slege, in his memoir “With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa,” wrote of Marines -- himself among them -- pulling gold fillings from teeth of dead Japanese soldiers. Edward L. Jones, who covered the Pacific war for Atlantic Monthly, provided an unflinching picture of Americans at war.

“What kind of war do civilians suppose we fought, anyway?” Jones wrote in a lengthy magazine piece in 1946. “We shot prisoners in cold blood, wiped out hospitals, strafed lifeboats, killed or mistreated enemy civilians, finished off the enemy wounded, tossed the dying into a hole with the dead, boiled the flesh off enemy skulls to make table ornaments for sweethearts, and carved their bones into letter openers.”

Matt Gallagher, former Army captain, Iraq veteran and author of “Kaboom, Embracing the Suck in a Savage Little War,” and Karl Marlantes, a Marine Vietnam combat veteran and Navy Cross recipient, both said that a great deal of the controversy around the recent incidents rests with the fact they are visual.

“Things that are on a video or a photo will feed the outrage,” said Gallagher. He noted that within a week of the SS flag image hitting the Internet, the military was hit with another public relations disaster with a Nazi flavor: Reports about a combat outpost in Afghanistan named “Aryan.”

The Army claimed it was a misspelling of an Afghan word “Arian.” Still, that flap ended almost as quickly as it began, says Gallagher, who suggests the reason is because there was no photo of a sign reading “Combat Outpost Aryan.”

“[That] pretty much went away fast because it lacked the imagery of the SS flag, but it’s worse when you consider all the people that went through that camp and never thought it was a problem,” Gallagher said.

But the flip side of the outrage “is this kind of weird rush to judgment” by those who see the images and believe they know what war is about. “People took war trophies in previous wars. Is it right? No. Is it a byproduct of war? Battle history would suggest so,” Gallagher said.

Marlantes, a Marine lieutenant in Vietnam in 1968-1969, said he was familiar with the kind of crude and stupid behavior shown by the troops in the controversial videos and photos. There but for the grace of older technology would probably have gone some of his own Marines.

“There was a time when all information was filtered,” said Marlantes, whose Vietnam experience is recalled in “What It’s Like to Go to War.”“People would self-filter. … They’d come home and look at the photos and say, ‘I’m not going to show that to anyone.’ ”

Troops in earlier wars couldn’t move information or images so quickly and there was a little more time to pull out of that frame of mind troops develop and maintain for combat. With camera phones in every grunt’s pack and instantaneous access to the internet, a guy just out of a fight or in almost daily combat won’t be thinking all that clearly, he said.

“[T]he very fact that the pictures were taken and put up on the Internet speaks to the maturity of the people involved,” Marlantes said.”Soldiers are generally very young -- 18 to 21 for a combat soldier. The frontal cortex hasn’t even developed enough so they know to take raincoat to go out in the rain! … And the fact is that’s who you want to go into traditional warfare.”

The 19-year-old is the best warrior, said Marlantes. They will get the job done, partly because they have the best weapons but also because they’re immature. And unless someone is watching them, their immaturity and a built-up, unleashed warrior mind-set is a recipe for them to act out in rough ways.

“What they did was sophomoric,” he said, referring to the video of the Marines urinating on the corpses. “But they don’t deserve to be vilified. We the people ask them to go kill those Taliban anyway. Being outraged because they pissed on them rather than having them kill them in the first place -- that’s a perspective issue.”

After a firefight in Vietnam in 1969, Marlantes found some of his Marines had stuck the freshly cut ears of dead enemy soldiers into their helmet bands. He told them to get rid of the ears, and then he had them dig graves for the enemy. And as they buried them, some of the Marines began to cry.

“That’s because they’d moved out of that place [in their heads] where they saw these people as animals,” he said. The act of burying the dead made them realize they were burying human beings. A little time and distance from the combat and killing would have done the same thing, he said.

He also recalled collecting the personal possessions of a Marine killed in action. He took from the man’s pocket a photo taken with two other Marines posing with an enemy corpse. Those kinds of pictures were not uncommon, he said, but when Marine commanders found them they destroyed them. They’d never send them home to wives, mothers or fathers.

Marlantes said commanders should police stupid, sophomore acts -- bust culprits down to private if necessary -- but should not vilify them. When it comes time to punish troops for stupid or crude behavior, Marlantes said, officials “need to consider, are they doing this for the image of the military or actually to carry out justice?”

Something to think about...and I do not condone any of the actions described above...

but until you have been in combat, have seen your friends maimed and killed, have been covered with the blood of the guy you were just talking to a second before a sniper's bullet tore a hole in his face...and have carried that with you every waking moment...only then can you judge anyone !!

They can bind and behead our people

They can hang bodies from bridges and street lights

Burn our flags and Bibles (even though we're supposed to respect theirs)

Curse my God and call me names and taunt and threaten all they want.

Yet, our soldiers have to be politically correct and not OFFEND anyone.

Screw that.

I think instead of piss, they should've poured pig blood on them and buried them with hog guts in their bowels where their entrails used to be.

If they dont' like it, then they can stop plotting and attacking us and leave us the hell alone.

SHOOTER13 said:
Something to think about...and I do not condone any of the actions described above...

but until you have been in combat, have seen your friends maimed and killed, have been covered with the blood of the guy you were just talking to a second before a sniper's bullet tore a hole in his face...and have carried that with you every waking moment...only then can you judge anyone !!

Agreed.

DroidX Tapatalk

The atrocities seen on a daily by our troops are more disturbing than most people can imagine. When that is your reality day after day, week after week, month after month after month...it messes with your head. Most soldiers are barely old enough to drink...they shouldn't have to deal with death on that kind of level.
I agree that leadership is somewhat at fault, but I think "WAR" itself is to blame. The mental state of all the soldiers mentioned would have never been corrupted had it not been for WAR!
I'm a 2x Iraq veteran. YOU watched it on the news and said how horrible those soldiers acted. Unless YOU have been there, don't judge! Not everyone mentally endures war the same, humans are humans. If you have to live like an animal long enough, you start acting like one.
Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Don't worry about any soapbox brnd72.

You've earned the right to speak your mind for as long as you like. Thank you for your service and for your perspective Sir.

That's what this post was all about. Thank you for your service, sir! I'm 110% in agreement with your point as well.

Good points made by everyone so far.

I think Rep. Alan West summed up pretty well:
The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter.

As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.

I'm of the believe that unless we have experienced what they have experienced and truly understand the context in which these events took place, we are in no position to judge.

I'll keep my coments brief. As a former Marine Sniper the lightning bolt SS that are often seen as natzi have been used by Marines for yeras but is not used in the context of neo-natzi, only to stand for Scout Sniper.

I only hope that when these fine members of our armed services return home that they have the support that they need to heal the hidden wounds of combat. Our minds have a natural defence to stress that helps us deal with difficult situations and makes people think, feel, and sometimes do things that they might not normaly do. While I do not condone their actions, I understand. So lets not condemn these men, after all they are your sons highschool friends, your daughters first dance, and maybe they were part of your boyscout troop or in your church youth class.

Semper Fi!

War is intense but people should keep silly stuff out of videos, and leaders should lead. A war, especially a civil war, doesn't need bad publicity.
Presidents of the United States shouldn't apologize because some books were accidentally burned, especially while US troops are being murdered by rioters.
And lets not get silly about the SS--they were some of the bravest special forces ever to live--and die--in battle. Only a handful were assigned to death camp jobs. You don't have to be a nazi or a commie to realize the the SS, the Viet Cong, etc. all had some very good soldiers.

I don't think I can follow you on that Bubba, but that's what's so great about the U.S.A., we have the freedom to think and voice our opinion. That freedom that was given to us by the blood, sweat, and sacrifice of service men and women who felt a calling in life to support and defend our country, and the cause of freedom.

NCLawman said:
I don't think I can follow you on that Bubba, but that's what's so great about the U.S.A., we have the freedom to think and voice our opinion. That freedom that was given to us by the blood, sweat, and sacrifice of service men and women who felt a calling in life to support and defend our country, and the cause of freedom.

And yet, our elected officials constantly try to kill our rights. We see it all the time where the 2nd amendment is concerned and most recently, a bill awaiting to be signed by the President right now as I type this if it hasn't already been signed into law. Just look up HR 347.

More info here:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002401129

War is hell, and, like the enemy, we are not perfect.
Armies have to pillage and plunder, Sun Tsu I think.
Yet, we strive to be better than our enemies and sometimes this is why we are there. What Sun Tsu did not say is that war SUCKS for those in it or did he???!!!!
HTC Vision Custom

For instance, in one unit I served in vietnam a couple months before I got there the unit killed a sapper in the wire. This is good, no problem about it. But then they draped the body over the barrel of a tank and drove up and down the main drag. Bad on a couple of rounds. First , it`s tacky. Second, in a civil war things can be touchy. This guy may very were have had friends and relatives in the same village. That they had to live with the loss of a loved one is the price of war. But to see his body treated like a war trophy is the type of thing that gets you more enemies for nothing.

Anyway, when somebody higher up got wind of this it was stopped. The parties involved were given a good chewing out and that was the end of it. Anyone in the unit who would have done a similar thing would expect punishment. No international incident, problem solved.

Standard policy was that bodies were handed over to military intelligence for investigation and they then handed them over to south Vietnamese authorities for final disposal.

The war in Afganistan was a complex 30 year commitment which the US is now bungling as far as I can see. They don`t need any bad publicity to help it along.

Bubba I will agree with you there, and thank you for your service.

I was sad to see the news Saturday about the Afgani civilians, as I'm sure most people were. As far as Afganistan goes, I'd like us to install an Afgani government over there and get our service members home.

I was a maintainer in a Medevac unit in Iraq in 2007-2008. I was in my late thirties at the time. We had alot of Crewchiefs and Medics who were in their early to mid 20's. When we first got in country the young guys were all gungho and wanted to get outside the wire. They started going on 9-lines to the POI where an IED had hit a soft vehicle, a man had been tortured by the insurgents and had his eyelids cut off (amongst other things), a baby had been burnt to a crisp, or a troop the same age as them had his legs blown off. Because I was an old man by their standards and had been in the unit forever, alot of them would talk to me about what they had seen or done.
My roommate was a 22 year old crewchief who went on the 9-line for the troop mentioned above. After they got the troop loaded in the bird, my roommate went back and secured the troops legs. He could not talk about it without breaking down. He was a very wound up, typical 20 something kid who became a very quiet, reserved man in Iraq, and I know he left a part of himself in the desert with all the people he transported who did not make it back alive.
The action I saw was not personal because it was all IDF directed at my base in general, not me directly. But when a Medevac went out, in our hearts and minds we as maintainers went with them. We worried and fussed until they got back and knew everyone of our brothers and sisters were ok, then we got down to cleaning out the bird for the next mission. Alot of times that took a pressure washer. Did it affect me? Yes. My wife and family all say that I am not the same man I was when I went over there.
When we would walk to lunch everyday, we would pass by a platoon of Infantry who were going out on patrol. We saw the same faces everyday. I cannot begin to imagine what those Infantryman went through, going outside the wire everyday.
Atrocities are commited by both sides in war. What seperates us from the enemy is we generally find the one's responsible and punish the criminals, or get help for the poor troop who has had enough. The enemy puts his atrocities on Youtube for the rest of the world to see and proudly takes credit for it.
I agree with the rest of you, let's not judge the the Soldier or Marine for commiting a censurable act, punish him according to the UCMJ, or get him the help he so desperately needs.

Thank you for sharing, and thank you for your service sir. You have given this topic a perspective that few of us could fully understand. Welcome Home!

Back