• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Let's See Those Custom/Rare Blades

insaneranger said:
075.jpg

...we are the Knights who say, "Ni"! :lol:

I love it, nice work! I just became a big fan of yours...

Awesome costume !! Really...!!

And what did you son goes as...your squire !? ;)

Toledo, Spain is world famous for their steel and sword making...arming Europe for centuries !!

That sword has got to weight at least 7-8 pounds and probably cost almost $500. I would also like to see a review of the dirk and helmet...with more pics of each. ( please & thanks...rep sent )

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK...History time:

Jacob I (1394-1437) ..."The Lion of Scotland"... crowned King in 1424 in Scone.

Jacob I brought a system of weights and measures to Scotland and fought to limit the powers of the feudal lords that served him. Due to a conspiracy, he was assassinated by Sir Robert Graham in 1437.

SHOOTER13 said:
Awesome costume !! Really...!!

And what did you son goes as...your squire !? ;)

Toledo, Spain is world famous for their steel and sword making...arming Europe for centuries !!

That sword has got to weight at least 7-8 pounds and probably cost almost $500. I would also like to see a review of the dirk and helmet...with more pics of each. ( please & thanks...rep sent )

OK...History time:

Jacob I (1394-1437) ..."The Lion of Scotland"... crowned King in 1424 in Scone.

Jacob I brought a system of weights and measures to Scotland and fought to limit the powers of the feudal lords that served him. Due to a conspiracy, he was assassinated by Sir Robert Graham in 1437.

Thanks. I apreciate that. Ironically, my son went as a cowboy...go figure. The sword weighs in at 12 lbs. The blade's 1/4" thick X 2 1/2" at the widest point. It has a lot of heft.

Do you think we could get a closer look at the helmet and dirk ?!

SHOOTER13 said:
Do you think we could get a closer look at the helmet and dirk ?!

I chose this Claymore style dagger because it's nearly identical in shape to the sword. The 440 stainless blade blade is 9"LX 3/4"W. The overall length is 14 3/4" & the guard is 6 1/8" across. The sheath & handle are made from solid wood with metal hardware & a heavy pommel. I disassembled the sheath and dagger & stained the wood to match the color of the Claymore sword. I then gave it all a coating of Helmsman outdoor polyurathane.
020.jpg

021.jpg

The "Sugarloaf" style helmet is made from 16 ga. high carbon steel with brass accents. I ordered the helmet off the internet & it arrived as an empty shell (with exposed rivets...ouch!) so I duct taped window foam and football helmet padding on the inside to get a good fit. It looks great, but believe me, this helmet is unforgiving without a proper fit. It's heavy, had some sharp edges I had to smooth out, it must be oiled to prevent rust, plus it's hard see squat out of it. You better have a seeing eye dog if you're crossing the street or walking up stairs while wearing it. Thanks for looking. :D
ir8057.jpg

Thanks for sharing insaneranger !!

The dirks' finish turned out nice....! And I could tell by those first full uniform pics that seeing thru the eye slits had to be difficult !!

But, I think you won first prize for best costume 2011...

WWII E.W. Stone Skull and Cobra

I have this from a friend, He passed a few years back. He was in the Navy during WWII in the Pacific, if this knife could talk...
ewstoneknife013.jpg

ewstoneknife011.jpg

ewstoneknife010.jpg

ewstoneknife001.jpg

ewstoneknife002.jpg

Re: WWII E.W. Stone Skull and Cobra

Very nice to have a memento from a lost friend...

He was a good Man, he would give you the shirt off his back. His generation is surely thinning out.

Nice piece.

The sentimental value can't be beat. That's something to be very proud of...

Saltmarsh, that is an amazing looking knife. I've never seen one like that from that time period. A nice piece indeed.

And Rossignol, since you asked for it:
Here is a blade I made a few years back from some scrap 1/8" hardened stainless steel. I hand-wrapped the grip with 550 cord. Its not very practical, but its a fun piece to have. Its very sharp and nicely front-end weighted. I would not want to be on the receiving end of it for sure. lol
DSCF0208.jpg

Dude, thats a seriously awesome knife, practical or otherwise and you made it yourself! SWEET!!!

Thanks! I cut it from a scrap sheet of 1/8" stainless. Not sure of the grade though. All I know it that it was extremely hard as I went through at least 6 4" grinding wheels when making it. I finished the handle off with some 550 cord.

ImAShrimp said:
Saltmarsh, that is an amazing looking knife. I've never seen one like that from that time period. A nice piece indeed.

And Rossignol, since you asked for it:
Here is a blade I made a few years back from some scrap 1/8" hardened stainless steel. I hand-wrapped the grip with 550 cord. Its not very practical, but its a fun piece to have. Its very sharp and nicely front-end weighted. I would not want to be on the receiving end of it for sure. lol
DSCF0208.jpg
does the spike not interfere with use of the gut hook?

Back