• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

slug/barrel question

Gallows

I have been reading through the boards for a few days and I have a question about shooting slugs. Are all Mossberg barrels slug capable or do you need a specific barrel to shoot them? Here is what I have now

590A1a-1.jpg

You have no worries, you can shoot any slug you want through the gun you have. Rifled Foster style and Brenneke style slugs will work best for you

Sabots are made for a rifled barrel, it will fire in your smooth bore but not as accurately as the others I mentioned.

You will have no problems shooting slugs through that barrel.

I would stick with rifled slugs, you will get better accuracy with them than sabot slugs at a fraction of the cost.

The 835 and 935 have overbored barrels and Mossberg recommends that you purchase a specific barrel if you plan on using slugs in them. I'm not aware of any thing that would prevent you from shooting slugs in any other model/barrel combination (assuming you use loads designed for the barrel you are using (i.e don't try to shoot a 3.5" magnum through a barerel rated for only 2.75/3.00 shells)

Great purchase Gallows! i have the same gun! have fun on your first teardown... you have to take the stock and pistol grip off to get the trigger housing out.

Thanks for the tip. I have a few things in mind but I'm going to post my thoughts in the Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting forum.

I'm with the group here. Youre best option is rifled foster type slugs through your smooth bore barrel as sabot loads are designed for rifled barrels.

The 18.5" barrels are smooth bore, the rifled barrels will usually be called "deer" or "slugger" barrels.

If you dont use chokes, that wont be a concern at all.

I know you are good through all chokes up through full choke with rifled slugs. Not sure about Xfull or turkey chokes but I probably wouldn’t through those.
No company is going to take the chance of a lawsuit over slugs so they will have a stamp on barrels / chokes or some literature stating no slug use.

The field barrels on the x35 barrels, some are over bored to 10 gauge, then swell down to 12 gauge before the shot goes through the choke. On those barrels, the barrel could be damaged and possible injury to the shooter. Slugs should not be fired through some chokes. I have seen a shotgun barrel bulged from a slug. He had fired several slugs that day deer hunting. It really messed up his shot pattern after he got the slug out. Ended up cutting the barrel down and making a scatter gun.
A cylinder bore, smooth bore or rifled barrel will shoot just about anything that will chamber properly.

nasa said:
The field barrels on the x35 barrels, some are over bored to 10 gauge, then swell down to 12 gauge before the shot goes through the choke. On those barrels, the barrel could be damaged and possible injury to the shooter.

x35 ? It’s the 835/935 not the 535 . The main reason is bad accuracy but there is an ever so slight remote possibility that the slug can wedge at an angle in the overbore area of the barrel...

Back