• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Analysis of NRA "Armed Citizen"

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/

Huuum, seems like a lot of HD shootouts involve 2 shots at a little more than arms length and at that distance just about any gun/ammo will work.

What will I do with all the money I save by not buying accessories and trick guns and ammo?

Worth a read-- I, too, have noticed over the years that most of the right ups in American Rifleman were pretty plain affairs, although granted they don`t print the ones where the goodguy looses!

bubba in c.a. said:
http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/

Huuum, seems like a lot of HD shootouts involve 2 shots at a little more than arms length and at that distance just about any gun/ammo will work.

That definitely is an interesting factoid. I kinda figured it was gonna be one shot, instead of two. And I don't like the fact that most of the shootings got to within arm's distance. On the other hand, once they are inside my house, most of the possible scenarios figure to be about that close. :? ...assuming I even wake up before he kills me. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Most criminals aren`t real bright but they do know how to sucker people and will close in by stealth or pretenting some legit reason to be there. Obviously, if you live in a neighborhood of crack adicts who are successfully taking over the streets and the community, you may run into a different kind of thief.

Statistics are great, they give you things to think about, but they are always subject to interpretation. The NRA column I find interesting because it documents real cases of people who generally have had no SD training and somehow manage to survive anyway. Incidently, ``being a veteran`` is not self defense training! Not to knock veterans, I`m one myself, but SD is a different thing.

Incidently, to get back to my comment about the NRA column not covering cases in which the homeowner did not prevail, one good way to loose a gunfight is to stop shooting before the perp is no longer a threat. Though 2 shoots seemed to work in the above studies, if 2 shots doesn`t physically stop the guy, the time one spends thinking about what to do after the 2 shots may be just the time the BG needs to get off the shot that ruins your day.

No perfect solutions, but i think many people are training for the wrong situation. Getting off the first good shot is more important than just about anything, expecially combat reloads.

I've taken several SD classes and one thing that cannot be taught but can be honed is mindset. Some people have it some do not. Pulling the trigger on another human is a tough call and some people cannot hesitate when they need to make split second decisions. I hope that I can if the need arises, but I do not look forward to it and hope I never find myself in that situation.

I recall a story from a few year back where a pawn or jewely store owner was robbed. Two or three men came into the store and pulled their guns. The owner, recalling what went through his mind said that it was at that point that he knew he had to kill these men. That to me is the epitome of a warrier mindset.

Edit, I found the link to the story (WARNING, this is surveilance footage from the robbery with the owners comments):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4Xqt62pf8[/youtube]

Wow - good reaction time and demonstration of guts from the store owner! Ideally (right!) pushing the gun left instead of right (the direction he was heading) might have been a better move - hindsight is 20-20 for us armchair QBs. Great that he had the awareness to get a vehicle description (hope the one in the black coat was caught) AND maintain control of the injured perp - probably good that he was armed as he was the one that caught fire - gauging from the actions of the store owner the downed guy deciding NOT to go for his weapon was probably a life saver for him and I bet we're still paying for his room and board. Thanks for posting - when did this happen? Any knowledge of eventual results.

I say buy that shop owner a golden Glock - something with a high capacity magazine!~

Back