• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Troubleshooting

I've noticed that the mag spring on my 590 is collapsed. When I remove the mag cap it only sticks up a couple of inches past the tube. Where's a good place to buy one? Are the Wolff springs, good springs?

Thx

I was dry firing a wee bit and after a couple trigger pulls ,
I could rack it repeatedly but the trigger wouldn't move ?

So I played with the safety and it reluctantly moved from off to on and then I got the trigger working again ......

but then after a couple more racks the trigger locked up again (with the safety off)

whats up do you think with this ? :roll:

If the bolt is not fully closed or the screw on the safety slide button is loose. Otherwise give it a good cleaning and lube. Jack it pretty good. Don't baby it. Someone else might have other advise.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

thanks Nasa -

I can tell you the safety is damn hard to move ; from off to on ........

the gun is brand new and I only shot a dozen shells thru it

If you have not field stripped it and given it a through cleaning and oiling, then by all means do so. It will make a big difference. A majority of weapons when sold are not ready for prime time. Some requite a little tweaking or tuning if you get my drift. Some may even have metal filings or dirt and the protectant used may be thick. Learn you weapon, keep it clean and it will be good to you. There are several Youtube videos on the subject.

thanks again NASA !

I have learned that new guns sometimes a jamned full of packing grease , and I take 'um apart
if their semi auto or complex ; I just ignorantly thought the shotgun was too basic to have trouble with iddy biddy , teenie tiny parts ;)

I just put on the Specops II stock ......now I got to take it off again !!

The videos on this site and on Utube are fantastic ; I have learned much from them

Re: new 590A1... problem with bolt/elevator?

So is the elevator supposed to sit flush up in the receiver when the slide is cycled backward?
I ask because my elevator seems to hang down past the receiver exactly as is shown in the top picture above. It also seems very loose in this position.
Is this normal?
I just received the shotgun this week so have no clue whatsoever what position the elevator should be in when the slide is cycled rearward.
If I have the same problem, how again do I fix it?

The elevator should be all the way down with the action all the way back and flush to the bolt slide when cycled forward.

In fact, with the action open, you can drop a shell onto the elevator through the ejection port, then cycle the action closed to load the shell.

Let us know if everything is working ok!

Ok, thank-you Brad.
Mine seems to be as you described. Just was concerned because it hangs below the receiver like the picture shows. My OCD keeps me worried about everything I guess.
Thank-you,
J.D.

Youre welcome, no worries! I understand how you feel! ;)

Whats up guys. Not really a problem but more of a question. So I picked up my 590a1, first gun so I dont know maybe this is normal? Anyways the soldering where the barrel connects to the mag tube has lots of litttle holes in it. Should I be worried about this or is it a-ok?

Thanks.

When you say where the barrel connects to the mag tube can I assume you mean the bracket? Any way you can get a picture posted of what you are seeing?

Sounds like the silver soldering may have some external imperfections, but I am not sure if that would cause a weak bond depending on what you are seeing.

Here you go, I think it is fine. But....
6893952390_85d6c31c7b_b.jpg

WCM, mine looks like that too.

I've heard of exactly two cases where the ring has broken off. One case was do to aftermarket work where a gun smith had silver soldered a sight on the gun and most likely did not take care in heating resulting in weakening the connection you pictured above. If memory serves, it broke loose at the range.

The second case I believe was the bayonet lug rather than the magazine/barrel retaining ring.

Love my 590A1 have 800 rounds thru her so far. On my last range trip I noticed the safety would sometimes engage (off to on) when I pumped the gun. The screw holding the safety button is tight. Any ideas? Thanks Mike

Mike, I've tried a couple searches, I know we have threads on safties on here.

I found posts about stickin and stuck safties, and I know I've read and heard about safties slippin and not stayin put.

What I recommend but not from experience, take it apart and make sure the pieces are all in place properly.

You'll want to find a topic on here about removing the safety for recommend advice and ideas to get the thing apart and put back together properly. The ball and detent plate are gonna be important.

I dont know if that will lead you to a source of the problem or not. Let us know Mike!

Back