• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Mare's Leg is this possible

Henry makes a Mares Leg, Rossi makes a Mares Leg, JB Customs makes a Mares Leg. All are from lever actions cut down or the workings that have never being made into a Rifle before.

Would the Mossberg 464 be able to be cut down to a 12inch barrelled (24inch total) Mares Leg. 22lr would be great for this but is the 30/30 to big, would rechambering to a pistol round, say .410 gauge or 44mag, 44/40 or a .357mag be possible?

Just like in Wanted Dead or Alive, Briscoe County Jr, Fire fly, Serenity and most recently Zombie land as weilded by Woody Harrelson?

Attachments

• Mares leg.JPG
    Mares leg.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 539
Do not know if it is possible...... But, I would take one if they did.
I sure would love it if Mossberg where to chamber the 464 in .44, .357 magnum
:D :roll: :eek: :D

Lateck,

I own a Rossi "Ranch Hand"...which is basically a Mare's Leg...in .44 Magnum. It has a 12" barrel and is a six shot lever action pistol.

When the Mare's Leg concept is built as a " pistol " from inception to manufacture, meaning it was never a rifle and never had a rifle stock, it is NOT classified as a SBR ( Short Barreled Rifle ), therefore requiring NO STAMP...and is BAFTE compliant.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

You still can't buy or build them in California AFAIK.

I think you would have to tax stamp AOW or what not? not familiar enough with laws on this

No tax stamp needed on a "Ranch Hand" model..... As long as you do NOT add a regular stock that can be "shouldered". The ranch hand is considered to be a pistol.

Lateck,

I know this is an old resurrected thread but just for clarification on the question in the original post, turning a Mossberg 464 carbine into a 12" barreled mare's leg configuration is legally possible.

BUT,

This will require an approved BATFE Form 1 and requisite $200 tax stamp for the manufacture of a registered SBR. The 464 models begin life as a rifle and therefore cannot ever be reclassified as anything other than a rifle or SBR...

Legally, what happens when you add a rifle barrel and stock to a pistol caliber action?

Caliber has nothing to do with it.

You can add a longer barrel if you'd like and still be within the confines of the law. Although if you were to add a stock to a "pistol" configuration like the mare's leg you are breaking the law by having manufactured an unregistered SBR. Adding the stock is what constitutes the manufacture of a rifle...

Is a long barreled pistol with a traditional wood forestock still a pistol if without the buttstock?

Yes.

Think of the Thompson Center Contender line. Pistol gripped with rifled barrels in various rifle calibers and lengths. Only thing it's missing is a stock and it's still considered a pistol...

Back