• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

Welcome Chip!!! Glad to have you and glad the forum has been helpful!!!

Thanks for bein here and I hope we see you around yet!

You know youre gonna have to post pics of the 590A1 in the pic thread in this section called "I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours!" :D

Excellent, lookin forward to it Chip!

I love the Hogue stocks and cant recommend them enough!!!

Hey there folks,

I'm both new to the forum and new to owning a 590. I'm still a bit confused on Mossberg's model numbers and how they inter-relate when it comes to finding a compatible accessory. I think I'm getting it, though; seems to me that stock type and magazine capacity (length of tube/shot capacity) are the two biggest factors when figuring out if something marked as being for a 500 will work on my 590 (model 50660).

I bought the 590 because I think it looks a bit better than an 870. Might not be the most scientific of reasons, but the two are pretty darn similar in operation, so what the heck.

I took the opportunity to fire a 590 before plunking down my money so I'm not going into this completely blind. The only thing I didn't much care for as the length of pull. I had to reach out a bit to far. It wasn't impossible or tiring, just not as comfortable as it could be, I think. Also, since this will be a home security weapon as well as a sport shooter, I'm thinking that the ability to bring the weapon to battery fast is rather important.

To fix this, I read a heck of a lot here. Much, much thanks to all of you for your outstanding posts. If I read things right, I will be served well with the 12" LOP Hague stock (Hogue #: 05030).

I have two questions that I hope someone here can help with, please.

1) The 590 (model 50660) seems to have sling points on the stock and magazine tube. Will any sling work, or do I need a swivel kit? I'd really like to pick up an UAG 15-shot sling that I found on Amazon but i don't know if I'll also need a kit to attach it.

2) I'm not a fan of flashlights on weapons. It seems to me that they just point out where YOU are to an adversary. Granted that they let you see where you are shooting, but it also points out exactly where you are. That's an un-good thing. That being said, and in contradiction to it, I'd really like to add a laser pointer. In my humble and ignorant opinion, a red dot planted on a bad guy's chest is a great intimidating factor. Coupled with the racking sound of a 12 gauge, these two things might be enough to end a confrontation before a trigger needs to be pulled. So the question is, is there such a thing and if so, what do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Mad

Firstly, Welcome to Mossberg Owners, we're certainly happy to have you! Dont be afraid to jump in anywhere and maybe introduce yourself in the New Member section!

I definitely think the Hogue short LOP will be helpful to you! It seems to be the go to traditional stock for anyone not happy with OFM's factory LOP of a rediculous 14 3/8". I've said many times here I love mine on my Mossbergs and couldnt be happier!

MadBiker Wolf said:
I have two questions that I hope someone here can help with, please.

1) The 590 (model 50660) seems to have sling points on the stock and magazine tube. Will any sling work, or do I need a swivel kit? I'd really like to pick up an UAG 15-shot sling that I found on Amazon but i don't know if I'll also need a kit to attach it.

The factory sling points will definitely work with the sling you mentioned. The only thing I cant specifically answer here is if the sling is 1" wide or 1 1/4". That will determine the size swivels youll need to use, but standard swivels will work. There are many types of swivels though. Some like the BlackHawk are synthetic as opposed to the more traditional blued steel swivels. I ordered a couple sets from Midway USA some time ago, they are the KNS parkerized 1 1/4" swivels and are about $10 each. But in any case, you wont need a specialized kit. With many of the "tactical" slings, like Specter Gear, Gear Sector, VTac, and OSOE, you would have the option when ordering to chose a sling attachment point/kit, like the adapters you would need to fixt it to your firearm. Some will wrap the stock, or have an HK styled hook, or something to wrap a forend or handguard.

MadBiker Wolf said:
2) I'm not a fan of flashlights on weapons. It seems to me that they just point out where YOU are to an adversary. Granted that they let you see where you are shooting, but it also points out exactly where you are. That's an un-good thing. That being said, and in contradiction to it, I'd really like to add a laser pointer. In my humble and ignorant opinion, a red dot planted on a bad guy's chest is a great intimidating factor. Coupled with the racking sound of a 12 gauge, these two things might be enough to end a confrontation before a trigger needs to be pulled. So the question is, is there such a thing and if so, what do you all recommend?

I use a light on mine, specifically a Coast Products light. The lights I have are very durable and I have little to pick on about them. I've not been crazy about the remote tape switch though. Its not the switch so much as it is keeping it attached to the gun. Bear in mind the light isnt there to help you navigate as much as it is to ID a threat. It isnt meant to be run "on" and this is where a light with a "momentary" switch is helpful. Something with a tailcap switch that comes on with a slight touch and is off as easily rather than having to fully depress the switch till it "clicks" on and then have to press again for it to go off. This is a safer alternative to giving away your position and intention in defending your family and home. Additionally, I'll caution that a laser dot and sound of a shotgun round being chambered is useless without being ready to back up your intentions by pulling the trigger. If you must, voice a command, "STOP! RIGHT NOW!!!" That delivers your expectation and the time frame of immediately! with any further advance being in direct contradiction to your orders. Voicing your demmands also gives you away however and personally, any threat in my home signifies in my mind the intent to do harm and warrants action to stop the threat.

To answer the second part of your question about lasers. A laser is at best a guess as to your point of impact (POI) vs your point of aim (POA). It can be done, but requires knowing your distances and how your firearm will pattern a given load at those distances. Say you mount a laser to the right side of the bore, youll need to know how to hold the laser dot to the right of the intended target as an effective POA.

MadBiker Wolf said:
Thanks in advance,
Mad

Youre welcome, and I hope this is helpful to you and doesnt add to any confusion. There are pros and cons with each set up and will require practice and patterning no matter which way you go. Let me know if I can elaborate on anything and I'll do my best to help!

Rossignol,

Thanks for the welcome and the information, friend. Appreciated.

I believe I'll start out with some cheap swivels at first since I don't plan on using them much. Heck, out here in Southern California there's not much chance of needing to sling my boom-stick for an extended time. I'll just be at the range. I don't really need a sling at all, much less one that doubles as a bandoleer. I'm picking on up only because it looks neat and would be useful in the unlikely event that all heck breaks loose.

You made an interesting point about the flashlight. One reason why I'm glad I found this forum is that there are many points of view and everyone seems to make cognizant points and have friendly debates about them without animosity. That's the key; intelligent debate without resorting to off-topic or ad hominem attacks. Thank you for providing such a place.

My response to your counter argument on a light attachment:

The "Freeze" warning is a given. A verbal warning, except in the most sever of circumstances, is mandatory, so I agree there. However, it's not enough to stop an intruder. A "Freeze!" command and a spot light on them does not telegraph your intentions enough. A bad guys simply won't believe you and will carry on with their actions.

On the other hand, a "Freeze!" followed by a racking sound (could also be the slide of a semi-auto pistol or the bolt of a rifle if loud enough) and then a red dot appearing will focus the bad guy on every single action movie he has ever seen and will get your point across quickly. Remember, an intruder is not likely to be combat or weapons expert and will have learned everything from watching TV and movies.

Last point. I'm not sure there will be a time when my home defense needs will need such illumination. I'm going to wake up in the dark when my night vision is at its best. My house is not particularly dark thanks to no basement and lots of windows. Typical engagement range will be 10 to 15 feet. Such short ranges also solve the POA/POI problem. (Use a laser bore sighter. Adjust externally mounted laser pointer at the range so that the offset remains constant from point blank to 50 feet, then remember the ballistics of your rounds so that you can compensate for drop.) In an "Oh darn, the world just ended" scenario, engagement range with a shotgun might be father than an attached light can effectively illuminate. In this case, a night sight would be more useful and they aren't terribly expensive.

I look forward to your destruction of my argument. :)

Cheers,
Mad

I'm glad you are seeing the forum for what we have really strived for, a place to discuss each of these concerns as they are encountered without having to insult eachothers intelligence!

I wont destroy your arguement for the laser and I can see where youre comin from. Sounds like youve got a pretty good idea how you wanna set it up already so it works for you!

I still prefer a light, again, not to illuminate my home or to navigate through it, but only as a quick flash with the momentary on to ID a threat, and really, I dont know that its necessary. Sounds like our homes are similar in that there is enough ambient ligh through the windows to be able to see well enough at night.

I dont actually intend to issue any verbal command if there is a threat in my home. Its understood that anyone in my home who doesnt belong there and enters forcibly and/or without permission is there to do harm.

Additionally, while I hope a single shot will stop a threat, I dont plan for it to and practice for follow up shots by knowing how my gun recoils and what it takes to get back on target. I also practice negating felt recoil and the Hogue short LOP has definitely helped with that. (Keeping this on topic here! :D )

Oh! I also have a Meprolight tritium bead sight in place of my factory bead too so its easily identified when being aimed in low light! Thats been another useful aftermarket purchase!!! ;)

Rossignol,

All good points, my new friend. So, back to the topic which I strayed from: Know of any rail or ring mounted laser pointers? I'd rather ask this group rather than rely on Amazon ratings. I'd like one that fits directly under the magazine tube rather than one that mounts between the barrel and the magazine tube or a rail system mounted to the slide. (Excuse the lack of technical language.)

I've just ordered the Meprolight tritium bead sight from Midway based on your recommendation. Frankly, I had completely overlooked this rather useful add-on. Thanks for the tip.

Pretty sure I stayed on the Accessories topic this time. :) I promise not to bring up the air speed velocity of unladen swallows again.

Thanks,
Mad

:lol: Leave the swallows and their terminal velocity out of it man!!! Poor form! :D

Its cool, we all stray WAY OFF TOPIC from time to time, sometime we strike it lucky and figure out how to tie it back in!

On the Meprolight, we have a thread or two here on it. The thing youll have to deal with is that when its fully tightened down, it wont line up with the bore. I used a very thin piece of kid skin leather under mine and trimmed the excess off, another more popular alternative is an O ring to fit over the threads on the bead and snug it into alignment over the O ring. Additionally, use a little blue loctite on the threads and give it a full day to set up.

As for rails, I have a CDM Gear "MT" clamp on my 20" 590A1. I have it mounted as far forward as it will go, right up against the bayonet lug. It has a short 3 slot picatinny rail on my strong side, but it can be mounted to either side of the clamp. It also fits very closely to the barrel and magazine. Its been a solid choice for me these past years I've had it! I also have a QD push button sling swivel on mine, I ordered it with the swivel in fact.

There are certainly other options available to help you achieve what youre goin for that will provide the kind of mount you want. I cant think of who makes them exactly, but I wanna say laserlyte?

EDIT:
Yes! The Laserlyte Tri_Rail Mounting System;
p687870204-3.jpg

Same on the laser, DHonovich has reviewed one here, but I dont remember what the heck it was. I'll have to look these things up and get back to you on this!

EDIT:
Found it! Check it out!
Laserlyte K-15 Kryptonyte Carbine Green Laser
p766260-4.jpg

Thanks for the update! Mount is now on order. As for the laser... ouch! A bit pricey for me right now so it's on my Christmas wish list. I was thinking that I might just home-brew something. Laser pointers are about $10. It can't be that hard to rig new on/off button. I foresee an accuracy problem, though. As I type this, I'm sighting down the case of my own pen-type laser pointer and it is off by at least 4" at 10'.

If I rig a new mount that fits between the pointer and the picatinny, I can use set screws to adjust. Must be mindful of the huge g-forces that the device will experience. Now... if I can just find the time. :)

EDIT:

Found a UTG 2-in-1 Tactical LED Flashlight with Red Laser on Amazon for $57.68. That's within my price range and it comes with a flashlight so I can keep Rossignol happy. :) No clue if it'll work, so I'll post a review in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TUSDV2...ref-refURL=http://www.ultimate-arms-gear.com/

Cheers,
Mad

Can anyone confirm whether or not the S&J bayonet mount for the 930 is compatible with the 590A1 and more specifically the 18.5" length barrel version? And if it hopefully is compatible, would it also be compatible with a NC magazine tube clamp?

I see that S&J have a +2 extension for the 590a1, but not with the bayonet mount and I thought in my head that some 930 parts are compatible with the 590A1 and was crossing my fingers that this is the case for the 930 bayonet mount. I emailed them to see if it is indeed true or not.

Idea of shotgun setup (dream shotgun):

Mossberg 590A1 18.5" GRS
Hogue 12" LOP stock
CDM Gear MTR light mount
Streamlight TLR1
S&J bayonet mount (+2 extension built in)
Nordic component mag clamp
Esstac shotgun cards w/ industrial strength velcro side saddle modification
Sling

Is this even possible...?

The CDM stuff is excellent! I know Scott, hes a good guy and has worked hard to meet and exceed standards in his products. He has strived to be inovative and offer products that make sense to use, things that add functionality and not solely cool factor. Though they are cool!

Love the Hogue, good choice there too, among my favorites!

Streamlight is also a very solid choice, reputable company and reputable product.

The S&J should/might work and youre on the right track by checkin with Simon to make sure.

No problem with the Esstac.

You may run into issues with the Nordic clamp. Youll wanna check with them also and mention youre a member here, theyve been very helpful to us in the past and they are def a standup company. The issue youll have will be with the heavy barrel diameter, but they do make a clamp that accomodates the heavier profiled barrel of current gen 930's, but I dont know if its similar in dimension to the 590A1, sometimes close just isnt close enough.

Again, youre on the right track and doin your homework. Dont be afraid to call and/or email anyone youre interested in purchasing from. They should be helpful to you... if theyre interested in sellin their stuff anyway!

Nakakazu,

Have you considered getting a regular 590 instead of an A1? They're cheaper and unless you plan in whacking your barrel and trigger guard against steel bulkheads, you probably don't need the extra ruggedization of the A1.

The Hogue is a good, well made stock and I bought the 12" LOP. It didn't suit me in size, but was very good quality. There's nothing wrong with it at all; it just didn't suit me. If they had a 14", I'd buy one. As it is, I'm more comfortable with extending my reach rather than having the tang closer to my head. This is a personal preference and there is a slew of people here who prefer it. My suggestion is to see if your local gun store has one that you can hold if possible. (This is a long shot.)

I would add a Limbsaver buttpad to your list. Your shoulder will love you for it.

When ordering a sling, make sure to order swivels or ensure the sling has them attached. I made the mistake of just ordering a sling only to find I couldn't attach it. Swivels are around $10 on Amazon. You won't need the pivot screws (I forget what they are called. I'm talking about the part that screws into the stock. You won't need that since all 590's have them by default.

cheers,
Mad

I can not find one. Tried Midway, Cheaperthendirt, Amazon, and a few others. Even went to Hogue's site. It is possible I'm just an idiot, though. Besides, you just have a lowly 500 while I have a 590 which is a whole 90 numbers better than yours.

:D :lol: :p

Cheers, friend.

Mad

Hold the phone. Are you telling me that the default Hogue Overmolded stock is the 14" LOP? Dangnabit, the web page doesn't make that very clear. I was looking at it and thought it was just a regular replacement stock. Feeling stupid now.

Your overcompensation in having an A1 is obvious. My purchase of a 935 should in no way be construed as a childish act of one-upmanship.

Hate to butt in here, guys.

The latest topic of discussion is just what I was thinking about on my 590A1 (#51660). I already installed a KickLite stock in place of the original, but might switch back to the original from time to time. I was considering the Hogue 12" LOP, but for 60-ish bucks, I'm thinking I can just cut off a couple of inches of the original stock, reinstall the original butt plate pad and then slip on a Limbsaver. Does this sound like a plan? From what I can see inside the original stock, the screw holes go all the way down into the stock, so cutting off a couple of inches should work just fine and save me 60 bucks.

Back