• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Prep Did You Do This Week?

catnphx

.270 WIN
I see this on many blogs and I like to see what others are doing in real life and not just theory. Here's what I did this week:

* Bought a portable toilet plus waste bags and gel

36599142-260x260-0-0_Reliance+Reliance+Luggable+Loo+Portable+Toilet.jpg

Reliance%20Products%20Double%20Doodie%20Toilet%20Waste%20Bags%20(6-Pack).jpg

* Bought more honey, peanut butter, canned beans, fruit and tuna

*Bought one box each (20 per box) of .243 and 30-06 ammo

* Bought two boxes (50 per box) of 9mm ammo - Federal LE 147gr HST & 124gr +P HST

* Bought 3 books:
- How to Survive TEOTWAWKI (James Wesley, Rawles) - 316 pages
- SAS Survival Handbook for Any Climate or Situation (John Wiseman) - 576 pages
- The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics and Techniques - 954 pages

* Research on the local nuclear power plant ... 45-50 miles away from my house (as the bird flies). Research on how to survive a nuclear blast too. You might find this information of use:

What to do if a Nuclear Disaster is Imminent
http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm

Anyway, I'm sure I've done more research on several different topics but that's all I feel like writing for now. What did you prep this week?

I don't either...lol
Though I love to garden!...it's a lot of work and yet relaxing...my wifes like to can so it works out. I do keep a well stocked pantry and have a bag.

I'm not sure what kind of bag it is? Because there are so many acronyms for bags now a days that I gave up trying to figure out which acronym is the correct acronym...I think I'll just call it Harry...

I don't prep too much either. I do have stuff to get to fill my list of prep essentials, but i haven't bit the bullet yet.

Got 250 rounds for my shotgun, rounds for my Glock and 1100 rounds for my 22 :mrgreen:
Still need to got to the store for food so I'll pick up some can food for the prep room.

As a gun enthusiast...I will shop ammo when it goes on sale...yet it's not something I do that is geared towards survival or prepping...It's gets used...Estate ammo @ 11.49 for 25...yeah I'll buy up on that.

catnpx
Where do you hang the roll and put the magazines...JK...lol
I would consider adding a small privacy tent, they make some that will double as a shower...

They have estate on sale all the time here. Is it any good?

If you are looking for a basic buckshot load to run through a shotgun and you don't want to break the piggy bank then it's good. I like to shoot but I don't like to pay through the nose for it...Cabelas will run Estate on sale from time to time...

I watch their ad flyers cause I can never figure out when they'll run it. The last time I bought it, it was in fact 11.49 for 25...no gaurentees it'll be the same next time...

I practiced less. If I keep burning through ammunition at the same rate, I will not have any left. Take care. Tom Worthington

This past week:

- added a bunch more to my canned food storage

- added bird netting to my tomato and strawberries (birds are killing my berries)

- purchased and started reading the book One Second After ... definitely recommended reading.

- bought 3 of these solar/hand crank lanterns ($20 each) and tested them out. In a total lights out scenario, they would add nice soft lighting for most of the night and were still producing a little bit of light by morning. When I put all 3 in the same room, it provided a nice bit of soft light that would allow you to do what you needed to do. Nice addition to candles and other lanterns. I like diverse sources of lighting based on the situation ... alternatives are good.

411SsvJpbAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

catnphx said:
This past week:

- added a bunch more to my canned food storage

- added bird netting to my tomato and strawberries (birds are killing my berries)

- purchased and started reading the book One Second After ... definitely recommended reading.

- bought 3 of these solar/hand crank lanterns ($20 each) and tested them out. In a total lights out scenario, they would add nice soft lighting for most of the night and were still producing a little bit of light by morning. When I put all 3 in the same room, it provided a nice bit of soft light that would allow you to do what you needed to do. Nice addition to candles and other lanterns. I like diverse sources of lighting based on the situation ... alternatives are good.

411SsvJpbAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Where did u get the lanterns at in did they have the hand crank radios been looking at some but didnt know how good they would be.

I got them through Amazon for about $20 each. You get what you pay for but they should do the trick (for me) at $20 each. Do your research and figure out how much you want to spend. I like alternatives and back-ups and these fit that bill. These do work, both the solar and hand cranks, but it really depends on what your expectations are. They aren't going to produce the kind of light that a Coleman propane lantern does but that isn't what I wanted from these.

These are the mini solar lanterns but they make larger ones too.

http://www.amazon.com/Athena-Brands-Soladyne-7-Inch-Lantern/dp/B002JT1DOM

At some point I'll be doing some research on solar/hand crank radios too so I can't give any recommendations for those.

catnphx said:
I got them through Amazon for about $20 each. You get what you pay for but they should do the trick (for me) at $20 each. Do your research and figure out how much you want to spend. I like alternatives and back-ups and these fit that bill. These do work, both the solar and hand cranks, but it really depends on what your expectations are. They aren't going to produce the kind of light that a Coleman propane lantern does but that isn't what I wanted from these.

These are the mini solar lanterns but they make larger ones too.

http://www.amazon.com/Athena-Brands-Soladyne-7-Inch-Lantern/dp/B002JT1DOM

At some point I'll be doing some research on solar/hand crank radios too so I can't give any recommendations for those.

Cool Thank you for the info.

This week I bought a maxpedition pygmy falcon II and a F.I.G.H.T. medical pouch both are going into my car...getting rid of my duffel bag.

For my BOB I bought a Lifestraw water filter tube, an Adventure Medical Kits trauma pack w/ Quikclot, and a new, unissued IFAK.

Back