• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New pistol - Glock 34

mingaa

Raconteur
I've been improving in IDPA using my Glock 22. 40 caliber is not ideal for the sport BUT that was my best match AND I got a lot of time / training shooting my front of the bedroom safe HD pistol.

I've since joined IDPA and I will most likely end up in a qualifier this month to set my class. The organization tries to keep a national standard 90 round scenario so that qualifying is as uniform as possible throughout the organization.

I had a SIG 250C that was a nice gun BUT the long, fairly stiff trigger made it a poor match for IDPA so I sold that, mags & holster and scratched up enough to buy a new (3G) Glock 34. It's the competition 9mm. Got it yesterday, found a good Serpa holster today (also fits my 22) and will head to the range tomorrow with some of each 9mm ammo that I have in the cave. I'll take a carry 9 along to test against. The specs on the gun are impressive as is its record in competition. I'll hope to see a slight jump in my scores - the gun will be better than me for a while.

Spec page: http://www.glock.com/english/glock34_tech.htm

Pics from the shoot will follow.

7205350142_412e2d3c67.jpg

7205352098_4425946f0f.jpg

7205350330_470254eefb.jpg

7205350990_97279840d4.jpg

7205352368_4c3138f7ed.jpg

1) In Serpa - no Mag 2) full size G22 on right - hehe 3) extended releases X2 4) milled slide less weight 5) G22 on R - full size 40 S&W! :shock:

Thanks! The $3 an hour outdoor range opens again tomorrow. The weather forecast is perfect. I have cleared a bunch of time to see what she'll do. All 9mm ammo on deck! More soon!!

I'm a fanboy. There, I said it. I really like the G34.

I'm most interested in hearing how you like the factory adjustable sight, as mine has not worn the OEM sights since I got it.

I've chrono'd 124-gr +P Gold Dots at 1300-fps from the long barrelled G34. That's getting real close to a 125-gr .357 Magnum from a soft shooting nine.

Did I mention that I'm a big fan?????? :)

Actually, the windowed slide is so that it weighs exactly that of a GLOCK17 slide so spring rates are constant and interchangeable.

Yeah I'm hoping to get some baseline groundwork in tomorrow on what I should shoot and what I can afford!

The holster ( still looking for a comp tac or similar for long term) fits the 22 and the 34. With a good gun belt they can actually both be 'concealed.' the 34 protrudes a good bit exposing the front sight. Wow.

I have to study the sight a bit more b4 hitting the range tomorrow.

Congrats!! I'm a big fan of the G34. I shot one during an IDPA league a while back and have been wanting one ever since.

I was never a big fan of Glocks. I find their big guns too small and their small guns too big (G26 is hard to pocket). I have always considered them the "VW beatle" of handguns - inexpensive, reliable, well engineered for their price point, but thoroughly pedestrian. There is nothing exciting or even interesting to me about them - no WOW factor, like a good 1911.
That said, I took it as a challenge when the G34 was described by Glock as a "Competition" pistol. Its not.
It is, however, a great platform on which to build a really good competition pistol. So I got to work and here is the result:
CIMG0482-1.jpg

Here is what I've changed:
GLOCK 34, Gen. 3: 9X19
Extended Magazine release
Extended slide stop lever
Talon friction grips
Buffer Technologies magazine well
Mako charging handle (ambidextrous)
Mako tactical scope mount (modified)
Primary Arms MD-1 (Gen 1) red dot scope (cowitnesses with adjustable
Glock sights)
Fulcrum complete trigger kit (2# trigger, adjustable pre- and overtravel)
KKM stainless steel 5.85 in. threaded barrel
Jager compensator (modified)
Hardened steel non-captured .244 Jager guide rod with Wolff spring
set (10-15#, 12#- most used with 147 gr.ammunition).
More info here:http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=247

maierar said:
I was never a big fan of Glocks. I find their big guns too small and their small guns too big (G26 is hard to pocket). I have always considered them the "VW beatle" of handguns - inexpensive, reliable, well engineered for their price point, but thoroughly pedestrian. There is nothing exciting or even interesting to me about them - no WOW factor, like a good 1911.
That said, I took it as a challenge when the G34 was described by Glock as a "Competition" pistol. Its not.
It is, however, a great platform on which to build a really good competition pistol. So I got to work and here is the result:
CIMG0482-1.jpg

Talon friction grips
Buffer Technologies magazine well
Glock sights)

Man~~~~

I've never shot in real competition like you have. That is really awesome.

I respect that, and want to say that (without having a lot of of the training you've had) I would never want to go toe-to-toe against you!

Your G34 makes mine look like 24-Karat dog mess. :cry:

DAY ONE

Took a sample of everything that I had in 9mm FMJ & JHP. Shot just over 300 flawless rounds. The gun performed perfectly. NITESITE the first few shots did surprise me with the snap from the added barrel length. At 5.32" the 34 has 3/4" on my 22 and well over an inch (more on most) on my longest 9mm pistols past or present. It's also light for the size.

For the ammo testing I used a basic rest provided by the range - it will keep things steady but it's no vice. Targets are provided by the range - two 8" side-by-side bulls eyes.
7217315828_dbf8ff61df.jpg

Target #1 at 7 yds. just to warm up - hehe - ran 3 mags through to check working order. I felt like I was sitting next to the target.
7217314498_a448b44045.jpg

Remington UMC 115 FMJ on the L, Herters brass 115 FMJ on the R (new to me) boxes marked 'by Sellier & Beloit' - from Cabela's at $9.99 per 50 this turned out to be one of the pleasant surprises of the day.

7217312122_bc3e14fbf4.jpg

Moved to 15 yds. for most of the testing. I won't bore you with all the targets but this one is notable. Federal 115 JHP on the L and their 'budget' packaged American Eagle 115 JHP on the R - TOTALLY out performed the name branded stock. I'll want to check this for batch consistency but - WOW!

Another surprise was 'Winchester Winclean' 115 JHP totally outperformed the standard white box offering.

At the end of the 2 hour session (outdoor range with manual cease fire target changes) I was a bit hand and eye weary but had some end of stock / end of boxes so I moved out to 25 yds. and shot off hand.
7217310784_b73c60db52.jpg

This target is 31 rounds of Magtech 115 JHP - fairly typical of how the day ended.

Take away:
- Love the gun, as a Glock owner the learning curve was about nil.
- I found a couple of BARGAIN 115 FMJ rounds that shot quite well - American Eagle, Herters and I'll look at Winclean prices too.
- I want more 124 and 147 ball to test for matches but I'll most likely have to buy from the net. I was shooting 180 in my G22 to lessen the snap and will want to look at that route for this gun as well. The JHP that I had in those weights were not stellar performers SO I'll be looking at the whole picture of ammo at those weights.

maierar said:
Just call when your in the neighborhood.

The farthest east i have ever been in Las Vegas lol. I have relatives in PA and one of my dream trips is tho go visit the east coast, of course in the fall......see some museums and some battlefields, the new towers..... I also really want to ride some of those world class quad trails.. :cool:

nice looking target for 25 yards off hand. I need to try my pistol off of a rest some day just to see what it will do without me shaking all over lol

I've got to say, that 15-yard American Eagle target is some pretty impressive shooting for a brand new pistol at some distance, and those 7-yard ragged holes are just sick!

I'd like to see you shoot some heavier bullets and tell us what you think.

I know you're going to really love that G34.

maierar said:
CIMG0482-1.jpg

Talon friction grips
Buffer Technologies magazine wellG
Glock sights)

VW Beetle? Really? The new Beetle? The new New Beetle?? Hitler's people mover??
So, you don't like Glocks BUT you invest a lot of time and money in what you know is an uphill battle? You set out to make the silk purse out of the sow's ear. Impressive. Admirable! Show us the way out of mediocrity!

Have you seen the 2011 IDPA (I for international) equipment survey and results? Glock is top dog. S&W #2 in numbers There are many forms of firearm competition. Too numerous to go into here. Can you tell us where you compete with your Glock - what open, no limit super class - where?? IPSC??

Also, not to be a jerk but the first two mods in your list are standard features on a G34 - one of the reasons that the gun does so well in SSP - that and the barrel length, the lightened milled slide...

Please sir - tell us more! Thanks.

"oh, did I say that out loud??"

I agree with you on carrying double stack compacts. It that's not limited to Glocks for me. I have a Kahr IWB and a Taurus in my pocket.

mingaa, I don’t thing he means VW bad....I hear what he is saying and really I have never agreed with the description of Glock more. It’s just an opinion I can relate that is worded awesomely. In fact you could look at is as a compliment in my eyes. Reliable, durable, simple…once a VW Bug got us home 80 miles on two cylinders, blowing raw oil from the stinger. About 30 miles from home the throttle cable broke and a buddy had to sit on the motor cage, it was a baja, and work the throttle the rest of the way home…..took it real slow lol….ahhhhh high school. :cool:

oli700 said:
nice looking target for 25 yards off hand. I need to try my pistol off of a rest some day just to see what it will do without me shaking all over lol
I was a bit hand and eye weary and almost stopped for the day but thought WTF. That's a distance I don't shoot often but IDPA has had some long stuff recently. Those are probably the best I've shot at that distance considering the guns I've owned. When fredh i know I can improve that and that is exciting.

oli700 said:
mingaa, I don’t thing he means VW bad....I hear what he is saying and really I have never agreed with the description of Glock more. It’s just an opinion I can relate that is worded awesomely. In fact you could look at is as a compliment in my eyes. Reliable, durable, simple…once a VW Bug got us home 80 miles on two cylinders, blowing raw oil from the stinger. About 30 miles from home the throttle cable broke and a buddy had to sit on the motor cage, it was a baja, and work the throttle the rest of the way home…..took it real slow lol….ahhhhh high school. :cool:

Could be my adrenalin is still up. I welcome dialogue not confrontation and am by no means an expert in firearm sports. I do have a competative spirit and a lot of trophies from SCCA, AMA, Regional MTB competition etc. - my curiosity is peaked! :D

Back