• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat shield for my new mossy

Now that I have my Mossy in hand it is time to deck it out properly. One of the first things I want to put on it is a heat shield. It is a 500 Persuader with a FAB Defense PR-MO Tri-Rail forearm, 20" barrel. What heat shield would best fit it? I see one on amazon.com called a Mossberg Heatsheild Parkerized Moss 500/590, sold by American Tactical, that has good reviews but I don't know how compatible it is with the forearm I have. Any of you good folks have some wisdom to share with me?

It's my opinion that the factory piece is a better fit and finish. I have an ATI and used to have a factory OFM heat shield. There is another one floating around that is plastic but I never looked into that one.

I just checked out what I suppose is the factory heat shield, at least it is manufactured by Mossberg and not ATI. Mossberg 95065 Heat Shield Kit. It looks simple to install with no gunsmithing required, and I see no reason my particular forearm, or any forearm for that matter, would interfere with it. Pretty inexpensive too, unless someone else convinces me otherwise I'm sure that is the way I'll go.

I should have a review of the new one shortly! I am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

DHonovich said:
I should have a review of the new one shortly!
I look forward to reading it! My present thinking is that the first one I'll try is the parkerized factory heat shield, #95066, mostly because it seems like it would be hard to go wrong with the actual Mossberg part. I'm also reading an awful lot of negativity as pertains to ATI accessories. I'm a complete novice at this stuff which is why I'm glad there is so much expert information to be found here, courtesy of you good people. Being a novice I'm pretty sure I'll go with the safer choice, the factory heat shield.

I've only seen in person the ATI heatshield with the GRS. I liked it alot and was impressed with how solid it was.

I think the trouble fitting the heatshields pertains mostly to the heavy barrel of the 590A1. There should be no issues with the forearm in any case.

You mention having concerns about the ATI and quality, but this is a major reason ATI is here, to address our concerns and to keep an eagle on QC. They have helped us greatly and watched the reviews that have gone up on this forum and they always want to be the first to know if for any reason any of us are less than satisfied with their products and I know they go the distance to make things right if there is an issue.

kwizzer said:
My present thinking is that the first one I'll try is the parkerized factory heat shield, #95066, mostly because it seems like it would be hard to go wrong with the actual Mossberg part. I'm also reading an awful lot of negativity as pertains to ATI accessories. I'm a complete novice at this stuff which is why I'm glad there is so much expert information to be found here, courtesy of you good people. Being a novice I'm pretty sure I'll go with the safer choice, the factory heat shield.

I still have my ATI on my gun , the fit is sloppy but works. When I got the ATI the first thing I had to do was re-drill the holes in the front clamp so they would line up properly. Then it moved down the barrel after shooting. I had to tighten the clamp so much so it wouldn’t move it is now deformed. I don’t have the Mossberg part anymore so I can’t tell you for sure that the metal was thicker but it was either thicker or stiffer. It also comes with a plastic piece that goes in the front clamp section. It is a trimable piece that butts up against the mag tube clamp or nut area that prevents the HS from sliding op the barrel. I have used both extensively and I mean used not looked at and I can’t endorse the old style ATI, don’t know about the new one

Oli700-Your concerns regarding the old style heatshield are valid and reason why we released our new Halo Heatshield (http://www.atigunstocks.com/accessories ... hield.html). The Halo Heatshield provides a gun specific fit for each heatshield (Mossberg 500/590, Remington 870 and Winchester 1200/1300) and comes in both standard and deluxe models. The Deluxe model includes CnC'd Ghost Ring Sights and both offer an industry first freefloat design. The heatshield no longer directly contacts the barrel, meaning no metal to metal contact, instead the Halo Heatshield uses both DuPont Extreme Temperature Polymer and High Temperature Silicon to install onto the shotgun barrel. The use of high strength steel for the heatshield and new fit design along with ATI's limited lifetime warranty ensures that the Halo Heatshield is the most advanced and quality product on the market today. Please check out the link above and feel free to browse the ATI's website for more Mossberg stocks and accessories.

I have a John Masen heatshield. It's plastic, but been on there about 6 years or so and no problems.

The ATI heat shield I got is sitting in my pile of parts that I'm never going to use again. The fit was very poor and no matter how much you tighten it, it would slide after a couple of shots. I tightened it so much the metal deformed and the nuts stripped. I'm giving it away for 10 bucks if you want to pick it up. I picked up the Mossberg brand heat shield for my tactical Tri-rail and you can tell the material is better and the fit is perfect. Went through a class and shot 250+ rounds and the shield did its job by not letting the barrel burn me and it never slid. Definitely recommend the Mossberg brand over any other.

2aaa3dac.jpg

I think the heat shields look very slick, but I'm wondering if they really do much of anything. Don't they heat up as well? I ask this because I am trying to justify buying one. I remember seeing them on trench guns from WWI and thinking how they add to the menacing look of the gun.

Out of curiosity, are you also a member at xdtalk and make your own AK's from kits and flats?

Slade797 said:
I think the heat shields look very slick, but I'm wondering if they really do much of anything. Don't they heat up as well? I ask this because I am trying to justify buying one. I remember seeing them on trench guns from WWI and thinking how they add to the menacing look of the gun.
I put 30 rounds through my 590m1, When reloading I would hold the SG upside down to load the magazine, I thought to my self "the heat shield isn't so hot, I wonder what the end of the barrel is like?" Well, I will tell you, It was hot, Not to hot to handle( I work with hot metal all day(FWIW)), But hot.
So they do work as intended and not a bad upgrade for $50+/-

Back