• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Doomsday Preppers

surely there will be plenty of jerry springer re-runs to last a few years.

Squire said:
So what ever happened to these shows ? or this thread for that matter ?

They had their season finales and we have to wait for the next season. I'm assuming they come back for at least another season with the 12/21/12 scenario in full bloom this winter.

Thanks I must of missed most of them. Have to admit it did start us thinking ? :roll:
Me also thinks, some went a little overboard with their hoarding of items.
I guess the old boy scout motto still applies . (Be prepared) :idea:

The Boy Scout Motto, be prepared, will alway apply...to do otherwise is unwise...

If this show gets even a few people to think about the possibility that they may be on their own, possibly an extended period of time, then it served a purpose.

There is one Doomsday prepper that won't be doing high fives anymore. Uhmmm, best he can do now is a high four and three quarter.

Gunner said:
The Boy Scout Motto, be prepared, will alway apply...to do otherwise is unwise...

If this show gets even a few people to think about the possibility that they may be on their own, possibly an extended period of time, then it served a purpose.

There is one Doomsday prepper that won't be doing high fives anymore. Uhmmm, best he can do now is a high four and three quarter.

LOL ... very true. One of the local news stations (Phoenix) did a story on him a few weeks ago and he seems to be doing fine; he saved most of his thumb ... let's hope he learned from that experience.

Being prepared is just that. Figure out what you are preparing for and start preparing - it's a journey and not something you can solve overnight and that is what keeps most people from being prepared. For some of these total self-reliant folks, it's more of a life style versus preparing. All the power to them but I don't want to live like that, which is our lifestyle choice. We are preparing the best we can but we aren't (and don't desire to) living on a farm and being 100% self-reliant.

Out at the farm where we sometimes shoot, my wifes stepmom is "preparing".

A little at a time. Storing dry goods, investing in airtight buckets and mylar vacuum sealing bags. They keep chicken, ducks, and turkeys, sometimes rabbit. They have pasture (needing to be cut and bailed). Theyll sometimes trade bailed hay, live chickens and eggs for other stuff in their area like fresh milk. They used to have cattle too, but the fences are in desperate need of repair... Once thats done there will be more livestock out there again for meat. It isnt a big place in terms of a "farm" but it provides what they need plus enough to barter with. Theyre moving towards independence, self sufficiency, with things like heirloom seeds for vegetables and by producing from their own stock for meat and auction and trade anything above and beyond their need and what can be saved in the deep freezer.

Plans include diggin a root cellar in the barn, tappin into the spring on the property and a pump, long term water storage issues, puttin iquarters in the barn for more family and gettin other maintenance stuff done sooner rather than later, though this comin season, the field is bein leased out for beans. Theyll be purchasing a reloading kit in the next couple weeks and are gonna start reloadin all my brass I leave them! :D

Anyhow, I know thats kinda rambling, but thats her lifestyle. My FIL drives a truck and shes on the farm alone alot with an old Stevens 16 ga. she grabs before she goes for the new Remington. Her and the dogs do pretty well and shes a dead shot with that 16. I just help out with the "preperations"...

catnphx said:
"We will go there with our guns and take their stuff"

Nice ... she gets it; that's one hell of a woman. That had me LOL too. :lol:

I have a buddy whom I served with that is the ultimate killing machine. Served our country in Irag and Afghanistan, loves to hunt and has just about every weapon known to man. I asked him that very question the other day about prepping. He said hell no, if the SHTF, he will just go and take some prepper's out and take their stuff, lol.

I miss this show... A LOT! I feel myself slipping slowly into a prepping position lol... I am slowly accumulating ammunition and MREs for food. Nothing as serious as these guys but like my own mini-prep for something short term lol

The 2013 season has been hit or miss so far. Some of the people have some really good ideas and some are just kooks. I wonder what qualifies those who do the rating of the featured preppers. Some get low scores for good preps and others get high scores for what I see as flawed plans. I would like to see what "the experts" have for preps.

I would like to prep more but I am constrained by my tiny plot of land by the beach in SoCal. I have a hard time believing a "Bug out" would work here. The roads would be so clogged I'd have to do it on 2 wheels.

The show does get people to think a little though.

TigerShark said:
Some get low scores for good preps and others get high scores for what I see as flawed plans.

Amen to that. Some of those missile silo deals look they could keep you alive and out of harm's way nearly forever, and yet they sometimes get low marks.

I've been watching the youtube versions of the shows lately, because I stopped getting the channel. Still enjoy them. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom396 said:
TigerShark said:
Some get low scores for good preps and others get high scores for what I see as flawed plans.

Amen to that. Some of those missile silo deals look they could keep you alive and out of harm's way nearly forever, and yet they sometimes get low marks.

I've been watching the youtube versions of the shows lately, because I stopped getting the channel. Still enjoy them. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I don't think the ratings are purely survivability and how long you could maintain yourself and a select number of others... They are looking for how nice, pretty and warming the places are... not exactly the purpose of a renovated missle silo....

well said istricmo

Many people would never willingly hide/sleep in an overhang or cave, but my ancestors used caves quite effectively. Especially in bad weather or in the winter.

I suppose that it could be said that I am living proof that it works; if for no other reason that I am even here.

PetroglyphinthecaveatIndianCaveStatePark.jpg

That is very true! Everyone has grown so accustomed to the way of life now that they want every little bit of it in an actual Severe Emergency... Sorry but if I am still Alive I will consider that a blessing and take what I got! haha

I am usually kind of crafty when out in the woods hunting to keep the snow from piling on me and the wind getting to me. Sort of a Redneck blind made from Eastern Hemlock branches and dead fallen trees :D

[quote="Itsric

I am usually kind of crafty when out in the woods hunting to keep the snow from piling on me and the wind getting to me. Sort of a Redneck blind made from Eastern Hemlock branches and dead fallen trees :D[/quote]

that's not what Oli told me,,,,,

Attachments

• hot tub.jpg
    hot tub.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 324
,,,,because your a good guy and can take the ribbin. :D
all in fun.
and if Oli picks you up in his van and you all make it out east here, i'm buying. :D

p.s. good looking gear your getting.

Back