• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shelter Me

Door should open inward so it can't be blocked from the outside. The ventilation stacks look particularly susceptible to damage or sabotage.

I don't mind the tornados that much... it's the oklahoma earthquakes that freak me out. here is a picture of the wrath of an oklahoma earthquake!!!

384378_196368657107357_100002026735680_438256_1362152649_n.jpg

ripjack13 said:
I know a sure fire way to stay safe from tornados......move. far away. But I'm sure that's not an option.

I'm lookin for places to live down south because I ******* hate the snow and freezing cold....but not inline with tornado alley.....

We have had Tornados in CT.
One touched down on Mohawk Mountain years ago, and turned all the ski trails into one big trail.
You may be in Tornado Alley already :shock:

We get a lot of rain, here in the Pacific Northwest. It's not so bad. You just gotta remember to not look up, with your mouth open. You might drown!

Sold the swimming pool this morning.

That's one giant step out of the way

One last look before they get started taking it down.

stormshelter005.jpg

bsipes30 said:
I don't mind the tornados that much... it's the oklahoma earthquakes that freak me out. here is a picture of the wrath of an oklahoma earthquake!!!

384378_196368657107357_100002026735680_438256_1362152649_n.jpg

I hadn't felt any of the earthquakes on my side.

The pool is gone. All that's left is take down the old deck before getting the backhoe up here.

shelter002.jpg

I was wondering if there was certain things that you would try to either store or build into a shelter that would be on your "must have" list.

So far, I plan to have commercial power, DC backup and small invertor, eventually solar panels to maintain the batteries, telephone, internet, tv, cb/noaa radio, regular radio. AC and DC LED lighting, water storage and filter. A few bunk beds that the top bunk can fold down to make a couch, a few counter tops and folding table, some folding chairs

I was now thinking of one of those portable toilets and a forced air fan for better ventilation.

Since money doesn't grow on tree's, some of these won't be immediate, but are on my list.

In Indiana we get a few. One missed us by a mile a couple years ago and tore up a bunch of houses. I was in Huntsville, Alabama on April 27, 2011 and had them all around me but fortunately did not get hit. No power for 7 days. Very lucky compared to others that day. I am looking into this type of shelter as well. Seems we are kind of sheltered on the NE side of Indianapolis. Seems like they go north or south of us. I don't know if the city kind of affects the weather path or what. Anyway. we have a small space under the stairway to get into that is always full of crap. Not much of a shelter. No hills so I would have to sink mine into the ground. I want the one that was in Vigo Mortenson's movie "The Road".

I had forgotten about starting this topic.

We still don't have the shelter in place yet, but I have been on a buying spree getting all the physical gear I had planned to put in it.

still quite a way to go before it's finished.

They're priced all over the ballpark.

Typically starting about $3000 and going up to a lot more depending on what you want.

The one I'm most interested in is about $3800.

Nice...I take it you'll still have shipping costs added to that...or no?

Our biggest issue here is wildfires. No tornados or Hurricanes, nothing like that. But it's a tinderbox in the summer.

Most often, delivery/setup charges are added, depending on the company you talk to and the distance you are away from them and how much digging and stuff they have to do. I would assume that no 2 jobs are exactly the same.

There has been some major gameplan changes for us though.

We won't be getting a shelter.

I am however thinking about building a small safe room in the basement of the house that we will be moving into soon.

The basement walls are solid concrete (no blocks) and has a 10 inch steel center beam through it, as well as numerous other supports.

All of the physical supplies (like invertor and stuff) can be used there as easily as anywhere else.

I have thought about doing a similar shelter with block. Around here it's flat land, with lots of Sky. Basalt outcroppings and coleche (hardpan) are also common to the area, so digging down is either out of the question or very expensive, thats probably the reason there are so few basements in the area. You are lucky to have a (plan B?) basement.

I'm stuck with either putting something above ground that would stick out like a sore thumb, spending a bunch of money for a hole or doing without. I have the emergency supplies together, and yet no safe place to store them since the primary risk here is wildfire.

Yes, since it looks like I'm certain to be moving soon, the inground shelter is out.

The basement of the new house however, is mostly underground already. At least the back 3/4 of it.

The walls are solid cement that was built in the 50's, and reinforced pretty well and is the full size of the house that will give us plenty of space to put a safe room.

My main concern would be how to build the saferoom to prevent the upstairs part of the house from falling in on us if there were to be a tornado.

So I would need to build up the walls and a ceiling part with access to get outside if worse came to worse.

Back