• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp, Mossberg

gumbydammit said:
We test shot some Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot last week, 1600 FPS 00 Buckshot. YIKES!!!
We're doing some before & after stuff with it. We'll post some pics after we do the barrels.

Man, I'm wantin to try these too! I do the Winchester full power quite a bit, but have yet to try the Critical Defense!

FYI, in case anyone is interested, the moniker Gumbydammit was not picked by me. It was bestowed by Officers I worked with during a 15 year LE career. It was given by people I trusted my life with. It's not just a nickname, it's an honor, almost a title, given by some of the finest people I've ever known.

My Wife calls to me as Gumby, instead of by my given name. In fact, we dated for two weeks before she learned my real name. Almost everybody I know calls me Gumby or Gumbydammit. Of course, sometimes, it's Dammit Gumby.

My Son called me Gumby, instead of Dad, sometimes, when he was young. It can be pretty confusing when a child yells, "Hey Dad!!" Every Father in earshot turns to see if his kid is calling him. He yelled "Gumby!!" and I knew it was him and he wanted my attention.

I have quite a few long time friends who have no clue what my real first name is. That's fine with me. If someone mentions Jim, everyone has to know the last name to know who you're talking about. But, if someone says Gumby, they know with no doubt or confusion who they are talking about. BTW, my name isn't Jim either. :)

I really don't care if someone thinks it's nonprofessional.

Lol, no need to explain yourself here, your actions and help have proved your professionalism, and your customer support is top shelf…never judge a book by its screen name….

oli700 said:
Lol, no need to explain yourself here, your actions and help have proved your professionalism, and your customer support is top shelf…never judge a book by its screen name….

I agree, and a big x 2 on the customer service! Thats something we havent talked about here at length... But man, you guys have been available every time I've called and willing to talk and discuss why things are what they are or just answer questions!

I'd say the VCS as a sytem, wouldnt be without the support of you guys at the shop! Even the kid! :lol: Hes ok too! ;)

Weird, I wonder why I didnt link this up here?

Hogue short LOP and VCS revisited

Youll see a vid linked up, if it doesnt show up let me know and I'll just postt the link directly. What youll see in the video is the recoil and (lack of) muzzle climb during the firing of Hornady Light Magnum, full power loads with the VersaTite wad. The range was 10 yards and avery shot was on target, fired one after the other. I know that doesnt sound amzing, but like I said, what I wanted to demonstrate was the control I've gained over the firearm, which is visible in the vid.

I'm really couldnt be happier with the combination of the VCS and Hogue short LOP, the recoil management for me has been amazing! I see the most improvement in patterns from full powered loads with the VCS like the Hornady Light Magnum. I've seen very good results with Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester Ranger 00 9 pellet low recoil, and Federal LE132 00.

I've taken a more critical look at patterns by doin a side x side comparrison of the 590A1 20" and 500 Persuader 20". Like guns with comparable barrels which should provide the same muzzle velocity. The results werent what I expected.

All this said, I wouldnt go without my VCS!!! I am thoroughly pleased and the customer service at Vang is among the best youll find these days! So few seem to even care anymore...

Great videos my friend. Well I decided to send my 18.5" 590a1 barrel in Monday, and I can't wait. Thanks again for the advice and great write ups!!

Make sure you tell the guys at Vang its on the way and what you are sending it for!!! Say hi to John "GumbyDammit" and Cody, tell them the guys at MO said hello! The guys are great and Cody does a pretty good Gumby! :D

Thank you for the compliment on the vids and I'm glad they were helpful to you!!!

The wait to get the barrel back sux man... i know this. Just be sure to enclose a letter, or better yet call first. Its good to talk with them ahead of time anyway.

I sent my barrel USPS with delivery conformation and insurance. Wrapped it real good as you can imagine, then boxed it up and sent it priority. Cost me like 12 or $13 from my part of town.

Keep me posted!

Vang Comp Systems is having a June sale.
VCS, with ports, on your barrel for $195 (regularly $255) plus shipping.
VCS without ports for $150 (regularly $200) plus shipping.
Sale ends July 4th.

gumbydammit said:
Vang Comp Systems is having a June sale.
VCS, with ports, on your barrel for $195 (regularly $255) plus shipping.
VCS without ports for $150 (regularly $200) plus shipping.
Sale ends July 4th.

Hey Gumby, y'all should do another sale. I'm planning to send you my barrel as soon as I round up the money. It will probably be a birthday present for me next month, so make it a March or maybe an April sale ;)

This rant is by no means pointed at anyone here…..or there really but I HAVE gotten into arguments with internet folks about barrel work vs. ammo type.
A few times I have been told, mostly by respected internet people, that the work I have done to my barrel was pointless, stupid even. “Ever since the introduction of Flight Control barrel work is not ever needed again”…..”You wasted your money”…
my biggest argument was “what happens when the Flight Control dries up”……..” That won’t ever happen”, or “I have a life time supply” …My point was you never know what’s going to happen to a consumable….
but I don’t know anything because I haven’t had a shotgun class and I don’t do this for a living or I don’t know Costa…….but I say “what if we have to resort to homemade ammo, or we all have to shoot whatever we can get?”….about the time people think I have a tin foil hat.

Well after this little panic streak we probably will see it come back…..but if it gets any worse next time or this time I wouldn’t bank on getting my hands on fancy ammo , if you do I wouldn’t count on it being replaced……I don’t care how magic it is, it can’t reproduce……
so I feel a little justified in my long standing argument that the onetime expenditure of barrel work WILL last a lifetime and whatever ends up in your shotgun in the future WILL patter the best it can be from my Vang Comp barrel …….so kiss my simple ass

Homemade 00Buck......VANG COMP BARREL 30 feet, good nuff fot me
IMG_0409.jpg

oli700 said:
This rant is by no means pointed at anyone here…..or there really but I HAVE gotten into arguments with internet folks about barrel work vs. ammo type.
A few times I have been told, mostly by respected internet people, that the work I have done to my barrel was pointless, stupid even. “Ever since the introduction of Flight Control barrel work is not ever needed again”…..”You wasted your money”…
my biggest argument was “what happens when the Flight Control dries up”……..” That won’t ever happen”, or “I have a life time supply” …My point was you never know what’s going to happen to a consumable….
but I don’t know anything because I haven’t had a shotgun class and I don’t do this for a living or I don’t know Costa…….but I say “what if we have to resort to homemade ammo, or we all have to shoot whatever we can get?”….about the time people think I have a tin foil hat.

Well after this little panic streak we probably will see it come back…..but if it gets any worse next time or this time I wouldn’t bank on getting my hands on fancy ammo , if you do I wouldn’t count on it being replaced……I don’t care how magic it is, it can’t reproduce……
so I feel a little justified in my long standing argument that the onetime expenditure of barrel work WILL last a lifetime and whatever ends up in your shotgun in the future WILL patter the best it can be from my Vang Comp barrel …….so kiss my simple ass

Homemade 00Buck......VANG COMP BARREL 30 feet, good nuff fot me
IMG_0409.jpg

Oli,

I am in you camp, and that is why I have a Vang Comp barrel. You never know what you have until it is gone comes to mind. To limit myself to one type of ammo seems like ignorance to me. This also takes away from the versitility of what the 12 gauge is. The appeal of the shotgun is the diffrent ammo choices. I like the feeling of knowing that whatever is in the chamber will shoot the best my "Gun" can shoot. Relying only on ammo choice is not an option.

Frank

oli700 said:
VCS and a 3 inch slugger....that flash was like someone took my picture. Youtube thing dosent work for me anymore so you get a link

http://youtu.be/xQyBgzDudsg
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyBgzDudsg[/youtube]

I usually have to use the full address, not the one they provide for sharing. I.e. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyBgzDudsg" instead of "http://youtu.be/xQyBgzDudsg"

Back