• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

39" factory mag spring too long?... new 930 spx

Since I haven't yet had a chance to hit the range, I decided to just check if all 7 shells would fit.
I can only get 5 shells in.
Based upon measurement, the follower appears to get stuck in the area where the mag extension screws on.
When disassembled, the follower slides easily thru all pieces.

I'm curious if that spring is just too long and doesn't allow enough room when fully compressed.

This factory spring measures 39", although I've seen mention of 29" or so aftermarket springs.
Is that the correct length for a factory spring, too?

Thanks in advance.

That spring is way too long, and typical of Mossberg/Choate's QC for the last several years. Trim it back to about 32" and try it. Take coils off one at a time until you get the full capacity in it, along with reliable function. Don't be surprised if you get it down close, it takes the full capacity, but won't release the first shell when you operate the bolt. Trim it a little more.
Better yet, order a Wolff spring. It will be much better and last longer than the Choate spring.

That spring length has got to be the longest reported yet leaving the factory. It's as if someone stretched it out. It's so long it's stupid. If you go with a Wolff spring, which is best, trim it to 28" to start. They are 20% stronger and do not need to be as long. There are plenty of threads on this topic to research to get comfortable on the topic.
Best...

Thanks for the help!

m24shooter,
I cut the factory spring back to 32" as you suggested, and now I can get all seven 2 3/4" shells in, and all six 3" shells, too, with about an extra inch of room remaining.

I will leave it this way until I can put some rounds thru it.

seascout,
I will be looking into the Wolff spring.
I poked thru a few threads and it looks as if the proper part # is 17905.

I appreciate the info, guys.

I always hesitate to cut and modify, but this worked like a charm.

Good news. Make sure it will release the first round from the mag tube when you operate the bolt and you're GTG.

Thanks for mentioning that.
I did try to cycle rounds thru it, and it intermittently seems to want to not feed the first round out the mag tube and then when cycling the action, on occasion, it will try to send two rounds into the elevator.
Definitely doesn't feel proper.

Re: 39" factory mag spring too long?... new 930 spx

Yup. Too much spring will cause the problem you describe.

OK, took another two inches or so off the spring.
Current length is 29.5 inches.

It also seems like the elevator is hanging up, too.

For instance, when I cycle the bolt from a loaded chamber and a full mag, the chambered shell will eject as designed.
The round from the mag will sometimes feed onto the elevator, but remain in the lower position, not raised into position for chambering.
This might happen with a full mag, or half empty mag.

I'm going to take another inch or so off the spring and see what happens.

OK, the spring is now at 28".

The elevator still sticks in the low position frequently when cycling the bolt, but it works better than before, although it isn't completely fixed.

Any thoughts on how short that spring can go, or is it just trial and error?

Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Trial and error. I would say try it at the range before getting it too short.
Operate the bolt with authority. It is meant to run at pretty much explosive speed, so operating by hand may cause issues that you won't see when you're actually firing.

m24shooter said:
Trial and error. I would say try it at the range before getting it too short.
Operate the bolt with authority. It is meant to run at pretty much explosive speed, so operating by hand may cause issues that you won't see when you're actually firing.

Yea, I definitely agree.

When I initially cleaned it, I did not take the trigger assembly out, so I broke it down again, removed and cleaned the trigger group and elevator, light relube and reassembly.

It seems to operate a bit better, but you are correct, by hand I may not be cycling it fast enough.

It will be going to the range, and I am kind of glad I am getting familiar with it prior to shooting it.

Thanks all for the help.

Back