• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wound dressing: road rash (warning- graphic pics inside)

bellofello

.270 WIN
Hey everyone,
I had a momentary lapse of intelligence earlier this week (Tuesday), involving my new (well, was new) motorcycle, the road, and me carrying too much speed in to the corner.

Knobbies suck on pavement. So does flesh.

I initially dressed all the wounds with polysporin, non-stick dressing, and gauze. Tried to sleep that night, and went to the hospital in the morning to have everything cleaned and dressed properly. Along with an ankle x-ray. I left their dressings on from Wednesday around noon, to Friday afternoon.

That brings me to Friday. I undressed everything, and let it all dry out, then re-dressed with dry non stick dressing.

Here are the main wounds as they were Friday, dry.

Forearm road rash:
8e2e830a-6477-af18.jpg

Knee road rash:
8e2e830a-648d-64e4.jpg

Palm crater:
8e2e830a-64ae-636c.jpg

Should I have re-applied with polysporin and dressing? Or left them dry like I did?

Any guru's willing to help out a hurtin dumb @ss mossberg owners?!

Re: Wound dressing: road rash (warning-pics inside)

HOLY MOTHER!

I have nothing to offer here other than empathy. I've taken many a spill rock hopping on my mountain bike while riding single track and gone over the handle bars more times than I'd like to admit. Hope you get to feeling better bro. I know that's not comfortable...

My wife says they do somethin at the docs office they call a wet to dry packing.

Apply polysporin or triple antibiotic heavily to the first layer and apply it. Then use layers of dry guaze wrapping over top.

Let me ask to be certain, but I've heard her talk about this stuff before!

Wound dressing: road rash (warning-pics inside)

Rossignol said:
My wife says they do somethin at the docs office they call a wet to dry packing.

Apply polysporin or triple antibiotic heavily to the first layer and apply it. Then use layers of dry guaze wrapping over top.

Let me ask to be certain, but I've heard her talk about this stuff before!
Yea that's what they initially did at the hospital for me. I left the dressing on for a couple days. When I removed them the wounds were nice and clean so I let them dry up.

Now my big issue is trying to keep them dry so the dressings don't rip the scabs off as they move or when removing them.

Thanks les! that's the general response I get. I was also in to downhill biking. Spills are part of the learning curve.

I'm almost glad it happened fairly early in my on road carrier.

I'm on the road to recovery, can't wait to get back at er, just with some more respect for the pavement this time!

I was in a motorcycle wreck a little over a year ago... What you need to do is get some aquafor. Some people,use it on a new tattoo to help heal them. You can get it at Walmart or Walgreens or anywhere like that. It will help. Pm me if you have any questions.

I sent you a pm bud.. Speedy recovery and I'll post some pictures tomorrow of my wreck last February. And what the wonders of aquaphor will do. We even give little gift baskets to new mothers with aquaphor to use as diaper rash ointment and for kids that fall and scrape their knees. I'm not sure how it works but it let's the wound breath but keeps it moist which will reduce scarring. More tomorrow. Take care

Ouch!!!!

I guess I'll stop whining about my weekend's sunburn now. ;)

I can't offer much in the way of info here but I'm pulling for a speedy recovery.

Here is first after my wreck. I had no injuries except for road rash. I was doing 60 getting on the freeway and hit a small patch of sand in a turn. the bike fliped 3 times and landed about 10 feeet away from me in the center lane of the highway.

180943_112732342137656_2887704_n.jpg

This picture is after we started putting the aquaphor on my face. Well we started with my lips because they were chapped and the next morning they looked like they were healed so Tosha started putting it on all my wounds.

183929_112732012137689_6734768_n.jpg

This picture is 3 days after the wreck. I think the aquaphor speaks for itself!

182072_112732252137665_6846449_n.jpg

This picture is 6 days after the wreck. It hadn't even been a week! could you imagine what the scarring would have looked like!

180741_112731848804372_3333663_n.jpg

Here is a couple other random pictures...
Left hand
185717_112730988804458_2281182_n.jpg

Right hand
180420_112731135471110_3619955_n.jpg

And that my friends is why I won't ride a bike.

I actually had one for a short period of time, mostly for offroad riding. After spending years riding mountain bikes, etc., it still scared the hell out of me. I stick to 4 wheel or track driven vehicles now.

Although I gave up snowmobiling as well due to too many close calls, i.e. other riders that can't seem to keep to their side of the trail esp. in curves.

here is a picture of what the tube looks like that used.
aquaphor-small.jpg

Holy crap! thats some crazy pics. my younger brother slid out on his bike 2xs. after that his wife said get rid of it. you need to be around for you kids.

I think I'll give that a whirl! Damn, I'm so glad I dont have any on my face! That looks brutal man.

I've been letting them dry out since yesterday, but they're getting a little over dry I think. So I'll look for that stuff tomorrow.

I've also heard really good things about peanut oil.

Ouch! Painful memories. I did that the summer I graduated from high school in 1984. I haven't been on a motorcycle since. Looks like you are recovering well. Best of luck.

Back in 1997 I dumped my Harley in a hairpin turn off ramp of I-95.
After the crash was over, in a state of shock, I tried to stand up.
BIG MISTAKE!
My right Femur popped through my leg and my pants! :eek:
7 days in ICU and 2 months in a covalescent home, before I could go home.
All these years later and I still have a limp and a steel rod running through the center of my Femur!

I love Bikes but the old saying "There are 2 kinds of riders, those that have crashed and those that will" is very TRUE.

Speedy recovery to you!
And thank your lucky stars that it was not worse!

Damn! That's no good!

Yea I've heard that saying before. Hopefully I got my crash out of the way early.

I thank my lucky stars all the time, definitely could have been worse! I'm glad a got a light weight 450 enduro and not a big Harley! That's a lot of bike to be crashing.

mine was a 2006 honda VTX1800... curb weight was about 800 lbs. funny thing is when i got up and went over to the bike on it's side i was able to get it back on two wheels by myself. I realize that i wasn't pickig up 800 lbs but i was pretty surprised i got it back on 2 wheels by myself. the adreniline and shock must have helped a bit.

You guys are Lucky,
I have seen to many un-lucky riders, my self included.
This is where a good full face helmet comes in handy......

But, glad your both alive and can write about the slides......
If you ride again, be safe.

Lateck,

Back