• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

EDC Bags, Pouches, & Loadout Photos

Re: Finally pulled the trigger on a new bag

Thats sweet man!

I think pics with it stuiffed would be cool, just whenever youre able! Thanks, I love the pack!

Re: Review: Maxpedition Larkspur Messenger Bag

I realize this is kind of an old thread, but what color is this Larkspur? I think its Khaki-Foliage, but monitors play tricks on me sometimes. I've been planning on buying one of these for a while now, but just haven't pulled the trigger because I don't carry a bag very often these days. I'm coming up on a work transition & think this would be a good compliment to a new job.

I'm pretty certain this one is the khaki-foliage as you mentioned. Thats my best guess too! ;)

cbpeck said:
I realize this is kind of an old thread, but what color is this Larkspur? I think its Khaki-Foliage, but monitors play tricks on me sometimes. I've been planning on buying one of these for a while now, but just haven't pulled the trigger because I don't carry a bag very often these days. I'm coming up on a work transition & think this would be a good compliment to a new job.

Yes, it's Khaki-Foliage.

Re: Maxpedition Octa Versipack

Brief Update: I wore this on a two-day, one-night, 52-mile canoe trip and it worked great for a ditch bag. Quite comfortable worn with the main cargo pouch in the front (canoe has seat backs). Carried everything I might need if the ended up losing the canoe.

Review: The Real Deal Brazil Manaus Bag

Unfortunately, most "man bags" either look like they started life as a woman's purse or scream out, "Look at me. I'm a tacticool wannabe!" Fortunately, The Real Deal Manaus bag carries neither connotation.

Specifications
Dimensions: 14" high X 12" wide X 3" deep
MSRP: $79.99 + shipping

img_0191.jpg

Pronounced mah-NOWZE, the Manaus is handmade in a remote village in rural equatorial Brazil from recycled canvas tarps that once stretched across the beds of cross-country cargo trucks. According to their website, The Real Deal company uses these recycled tarps “in an effort to cut down on the wasting of the world’s resources – and yes, also because they happen to look very, very cool.”

I'm a bit skeptical as to the significance of the positive environmental impact of re-purposing a few old tarps to make bags and hats, but the stuff produced by The Real Deal Brazil definitely looks "cool".

The Manaus is constructed as a single shoulder sling pack, meant to be carried like a backpack but with a single shoulder strap, rather than two straps, that runs over the left shoulder and diagonally across the chest, down to the right side of the waist. It’s not intended to be a true backpack. With only a single strap and no internal or external frame, it’s really a bag. That’s just fine. Sometimes all a bushcrafter needs is a bag.

At first glance, the recycled tarp material might cause one to question the quality of the Manaus’ construction. Never fear, the tarp was tough enough to survive several years of abuse covering the bed of a truck. It’ll probably stand up to anything you can dish out. The zippers are YKK zippers and, although not as heavy-duty as the YKK zippers utilized by one or two other bag manufacturers, plenty sturdy for normal, everyday use. Probably my biggest quality concern is that most of the bag is single-stitched rather than double stitched. As of yet, this has not been a problem but I can foresee the potential for heavy loads to stress out those seams over time. The strap is connected to the bag with box stitching reducing the likelihood that the strap will pull away from the bag itself.

YKK Zippers
img_0193.jpg

Box Stitching on Strap
img_0201.jpg

If you’re thinking about carrying a laptop computer in the Manaus, you’re in luck. I test-fit my Dell with a 15.5″ screen and it fit without any problems. One could easily add a padded sleeve to a laptop of similar size for a bit of protection.

15.5" Laptop Slides in Easily
img_0203.jpg

The Manaus has plenty of pockets for other gear and supplies as well. In addition to the main compartment (where I would stash a laptop), there are two smaller pockets on the outside (away from the wearer’s back) of the bag. The larger of the two pockets is approximately 10″ X 7.5″. The smaller of the two is about 9″ X 7.5″. On the inner side (toward the wearer’s back) is a fourth pocket that is approximately 11″ wide and 9″ tall. Finally, there is a small pouch on the Manaus’ strap that would be suitable for a cell phone, small GPS, radio or other similar item. An iPhone or Droid Bionic will fit snugly in this pocket.

Cell Phone Pocket on Carry Strap
img_0188.jpg

The carry strap on the Manaus is fully adjustable utilizing the included slide. I found that I needed to adjust the strap to its shortest setting in order to carry the bag close to my body. I’m about 5′ 10″ and 165 lbs. If you prefer a looser carry or are a larger person, there are several inches of adjustment in the strap. A smaller person may not be able to carry the bag close to their body.

Overall, the Manuas seems as though it would make a very good every day carry (EDC) or possibles bag. It won’t make the owner look like a mall ninja or a metro-sexual and the fabric has already proven that it can take a beating.

EDC Bags & Loadout Photos

It's been a while since I started a thread here in the Bags, Gear & Load-outs forum. So, since I recently changed to a more casual work environment and my son "stole" my Real Deal Brazil Manaus bag for his school bag, I thought I would kick this off by sharing my new-to-me (my son's school bag from last year) Maxpedition Sitka EDC (Every Day Carry) bag.

Here's mine. Show us yours.

Front View
IMG_0250-1.jpg

Back View
IMG_0264.jpg

Those familiar with the Sitka will notice that the Y-shaped compression strap is missing from mine. When my son was carrying this as a school bag, he rarely ever snapped the buckle. The strap was always dangling and dragging on the ground. That kind of stuff bugs me so I removed the strap. I haven't seen any reason to put it back on now that I'm carrying the bag.

An astute observer will also notice that I have the Sitka's strap cinched up as tight as it will go. I'm not a big guy, but that's not why the strap is cinched up so tight. I like to carry the bag with the strap draped over my right shoulder but not across my chest. Adjusted this way, the strap is the perfect length for that style of carry.

Main (Large) Pocket
IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

The main pocket of the Sitka is large enough for a small laptop. In the photos above, you can see there is more than enough room for my Dell Netbook. The mesh pockets are nice for visibility. I have all the cords, cables, mouse, etc. for my Netbook in those pockets and it's nice to be able to see which pocket contains what. I also added a Maxpedition Mini Organizer to the loop field in the area behind the mesh pockets. It's nice for carrying pens, pencils and a few business cards.

Top Front Pocket
IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

I carry my "toiletries" in the top front pocket. Hand wipes, anti-bacterial gel, Kleenex, bug spray, ear plugs and the like. There's also room for a multi-tool and an emergency whistle.

Lower Front Pocket
IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Not too much going on in this pocket. I have a Maratac EDC Pocket Organizer with a few daily necessities in it and my ear buds attached to the Sitka's key keeper.

Outer Lower Front Pocket
IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

The outer pocket on the lower front pocket was intended to carry a wallet or something else that is relatively flat. I decided to throw a couple packs of gum and some energy bars in it.

I haven't been carrying the Sitka for my EDC bag for all that long so I'm still getting used to it and still finding a place for everything. No real complaints yet, though.

Show us your EDC bag.

Re: EDC Bags & Loadout Photos

Mud!!! I love this stuff and cant get enough of it! I especially like seein how other folks load their bags, I always see somethin else I can try myself!

Its a good lookin pack man! I dont have too much use for a daily carry bag, just what I carry if we're out and hikin or huntin. I'll see what I can get together for the thread though!

Re: EDC Bags & Loadout Photos

Nice Sling Pack MUD!! I love it! I've had a few over the course of the years & i've always wanted that Maxpedition one, nice & big, but not too big. Recently I've decided to just carry my Backpack everywhere cuz its summa time (well it was, not anymore..grrr) & I never knew where the night would take me, so I've been carrying the overnight bachelor essentials w/me. Another reason for the choice to carry the backpack instead of the more convenient sling pack, was that most of the ppl I came into contact with while carrying the sling pack on my nightly adventures would ask me if its my purse!! I couldn't take it anymore!! Lol.. they just don't get it... "ITS A SLING PACK &%$#*&%'s..."

So.. Anyways.. rocking "sling pack" bro!!

Switched to a Frost River Manitou recently. Great classic looks and it holds a ton of stuff!

IMG_0579_zpse88df2cc.jpg

Netbook in Padded Sleeve in Rear Zipper Pocket
IMG_0581_zps53398307.jpg

Large Interior with Admin
IMG_0582_zpsa855df65.jpg

Good-sized Front Flap Pockets
IMG_0587_zps2fda6672.jpg

Zippered Front Pocket
IMG_0588_zps9b8928b4.jpg

Compared to the Maxped Larkspur that I was carrying ...
IMG_0589_zpsa6f833ff.jpg

Back