• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model M590A1 Catalog #51411

armorer1911

Copper BB
Hi, I am tired of those usual pictures of the Navy and USMC with those 17" and 20" M590A1. Can anyone be forthcoming and prove that the service is using the M590A1 (Catalog #51411)? Any pictures or proof that the USMC and Navy use this model? I have only found once firearm in thousands of searches showing what MAY BE a #51411. I keep hearing rumors, but really would like proof that the US Navy and USMC uses this model. Armorer1911

These don't look like 17", but I could be wrong, btw welcome to the forum!! According to tactical life the picture just below is of the 51411 currently used by Usmc.
mossberg2.jpg

4636172761_6a51425d04_z.jpg

4768331037_bdbe51d79f_z.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

There are definitely 590's/590A1's in use, more prevalent among the Navy I believe, where the USMC uses the Benelli more.

The 590's pictured above look to be the 18 1/2". On the topic of the model number, sometimes OFM will assign a model number completely different from anything showing in their product lists or catalogue. If I understand correctly, theyll do it for department (LEO) or military orders when there is a large quantity purchased? Someone else may be able to expand or clarify this better than I can. From what I can find, a 20" 8 shot model with bead sight has been among the standard issue pump action shotguns for the US Armed Forces since 1987.

These are US Marines in 2007, led by a shotgunner holding a 590 followed by a rifleman and a squad automatic.

800px-USMC_in_Operation_Steel_Curtain.jpg

Almost forgot! Welcome to MO!!! :D

Picture #1 and #3 definately looks like my M590A1. Good to see our brave boys carrying such good hardware. Heck, I had a US marked 1200 Winchester a while back. Nothing like 00 Buckshot for the bg!

Rossignol said:
There are definitely 590's/590A1's in use, more prevalent among the Navy I believe, where the USMC uses the Benelli more.

The 590's pictured above look to be the 18 1/2". On the topic of the model number, sometimes OFM will assign a model number completely different from anything showing in their product lists or catalogue. If I understand correctly, theyll do it for department (LEO) or military orders when there is a large quantity purchased? Someone else may be able to expand or clarify this better than I can. From what I can find, a 20" 8 shot model with bead sight has been among the standard issue pump action shotguns for the US Armed Forces since 1987.

These are US Marines in 2007, led by a shotgunner holding a 590 followed by a rifleman and a squad automatic.

800px-USMC_in_Operation_Steel_Curtain.jpg

Almost forgot! Welcome to MO!!! :D

Thank's Rossignol By the way, when you say "8 shot" model in a 20" bbl. Are you referring to a plain old 500A or a M590A1. Just the same, check out the Mossberg 500 Catalog #52134 and #52136. Now those look very cool!

I havent been able to find those yet online, and i'm not sure where my catalogue is hiding...

The 20" 8 shot models, I'm thinkin both the 500 like the Persuaders as well as 590s, both have been issued to my knowledge, but models like whats pictured above seem fairly common too.

My personal favorite mossberg military picture :mrgreen:
4598169027_4b2a66c4bd_b.jpg

8 shot 500 with heat shield :twisted:
4618212928_3cecbd2f14_z.jpg

Finally what you are talking about 5 shot 18.5 500 :mrgreen:
sharp-and-me.jpg

20 inch 9 shot M590A1

Regarding: 20 inch 9 shot M590A1

Any first hand knowledge if the military uses this model? In particular, bead sighted version? Seems like this would fit the bill with the Mossberg Launching Attachment - which does need a larger magazine tube to function. Also, any one with previous or current military service ever seen the service use a 9 shot M590A1 with Ghost Ring Sights. :D

Re: 20 inch 9 shot M590A1

Well, pictures aside, much like in the other posts recently, the information I've been able to find suggests that some of these models are definitely issued.

The specific differences unique to the 590A1 were done to satisfy requirements of the Navy for use on ships. They may not be the most common as cost is an issue and a 590 or 500 with full length magazine is less expensive.

armorer1911 said:

Any first hand knowledge if the military uses this model? In particular, bead sighted version? Seems like this would fit the bill with the Mossberg Launching Attachment - which does need a larger magazine tube to function. Also, any one with previous or current military service ever seen the service use a 9 shot M590A1 with Ghost Ring Sights. :D

You sure seem worried about what the military uses....

armorer1911 said:

Iam sorry but this is all I could come up with? No info on if it is issued or not...
mossberg590a1.jpg

Back