• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Hello everyone, I picked up a Mod 500CG 20ga. as a set with a 28" vent rib and 24" smoothbore slug barrel -w- sights. I'm not seeing this particular combination ANYWHERE on the web??? The reciever is solidly marked "500CG". Does anyone have any history on these or even a value? Metal is 90-95% no pits, scatches or rust, just minor scuffs (the underside by the model# stampimg is the worst), bores are brite, wood is the same condition or better.

Much thanks in advance! I look forward to getting to the range this weekend and putting it though it's paces.

Scott in Tampa

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,120
Horsepow3r said:
41V3JwSiFCL._AA300_.jpg
That mount is made to work with the heat shield. The bolts on the mount will replace the two heat shield bolts…….it can be run on the tube independent of the heat shield as well. This is it being used with the HS, I don’t have the plastic but I would use it if I had it.
IMG_0304.jpg

saddlebagpix said:
Hello everyone, I picked up a Mod 500CG 20ga. as a set with a 28" vent rib and 24" smoothbore slug barrel -w- sights. I'm not seeing this particular combination ANYWHERE on the web??? The reciever is solidly marked "500CG". Does anyone have any history on these or even a value? Metal is 90-95% no pits, scatches or rust, just minor scuffs (the underside by the model# stampimg is the worst), bores are brite, wood is the same condition or better.

Much thanks in advance! I look forward to getting to the range this weekend and putting it though it's paces.

Scott in Tampa

Mossberg model IDs have always been a bit hard to figure out. Even current production is scattered around between Mossberg's own models as shown on their site/catalog and the countless vendor and distributor exclusive model numbers. We'll do some diggin and see what we can figure out, but don't be surprised if we all come up scratching our heads.

Oh, and welcome aboard...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
saddlebagpix said:

Scott in Tampa

Mossberg model IDs have always been a bit hard to figure out. Even current production is scattered around between Mossberg's own models as shown on their site/catalog and the countless vendor and distributor exclusive model numbers. We'll do some diggin and see what we can figure out, but don't be surprised if we all come up scratching our heads.

Oh, and welcome aboard...

Thank you all for your help!! So jazzed about this 20ga., I just hope it's a collectible unit worth trading for additional guns. So jazzed in fact I just bought a 500a off Gunbroker -w- a 28" VR modified choke for $149, seller says in 98%. Wondering if I can shoot slugs and 00buck in this 28" barrel as-is or not recommended. ALSO, if the 28" 12ga. mod CAN handle slugs/Buckshot, if it make better sense to buy a seperate 18-1/2" cylinder barrel for day to day, ($75-100 -w- s&h) or just neatly trim down the 28" VR to about 20-21" and put on a set of hi-viz or tru-glo clamp on sights ($20-$30). "If" I ever get to hunt deer or hogs here in Fl or Ga., I can always use an old M1 carbine with lead nose rounds and scope OR the 20ga. 500c with the sights/slug 24" barrel and slugger slugs or 00buck. I don't expect to do any waterfowl/bird or turkey ever. I imagine the 12ga will probably just get the pistol grip and clamp on light bolted on and slid under a sofa for home protection.

Scott in Tampa

50780-500x500.jpg

not my personal gun but looks identical. #50780 model 500a 20" bbl, 7+1, pistol grip and rifle stock both included, heat shield, brass bead, blued. Very fun to shoot, very basic, just right. Just picked it up last weekend and put 100 shells thru it (with the pistol grip) at the range with my dad on father's day. I wanna put the buttstock on it so I can shoot it from the shoulder, but I do like the pistol grip.

Alright, many months later, I finally got a pic of the box end. So, anyone got any info on this? Other than the metal heat shield, there is nothing else extra / special on it.
DSCF1624.jpg

Forgive me as it is my first visit to this forum,
I have NOT had a chance to look around much,
But I have a BURNING issue thats tearing me and my best bud appart!

I have a very older Mossberg 500, date not known,
and it is marked A/B.

My understanding is that means its a 12-16 guage shotgun,
back in the day when they did such things.

My buddy says no-way-in-hell did that ever happen, (he considers himself a ALL GUN EXPERT BTW??)
and A/B just means how they put the finish on it??

My research says it was a 12 and 16 guage sample, but even I cant imagine how that was done,
as when I bought it, it only had the common 12 guage barrel with the rifle sights,
and GOD help me, it was in poor condition to boot! (but I saved her and made her beautiful again!)

PLEASE, PLEASE, tell us what the deal is here!
Seriousy, I am about to loose a friend of 30 years because he thinks I am being a jerk about
the fact I truly believe it was a factory dual-guage OEM shotgun.

If I am wrong, Ill eat crow pie and tell him I was stupid for even thinking it was possible,
but everything I have read says Im right???? even if I dont know how they did it?

PLEASE folks, PLEASE tell me whats going on here!?

If I am right, ill print out your responces, and NAIL it right to his forehead!
If Im wrong, he gets to staple your printed responce onto my ass with ten brads...........

Im serious, this is how far our argument has gone, and I could loose a 30 year Best friend over this
silly confusion. (and a possible sale of said historic firearm.)

Desperate is not strong enough of a word to explain what I feel here and now.
PLEASE help me find the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time, and any help you can bring me!

Dave P.

The first letter in Mossberg's lettering code will indicate the gauge or caliber:

500A = 12 gauge
500B = 16 gauge
500C = 20 gauge
500E = .410 bore

The second and sometimes third letters were used to designate variants and sometimes models made specifically for certain retailers. The "AB" models were sold from the late 1970s to early 1980s and the "B" would have indicated that the model was made for a discount chain like a Montgomery Ward.

here are a few more pics of mine, apparently a Davidson's exclusive.

Attachments

• DSC05297.jpg
    DSC05297.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5,448
  • DSC05300.jpg
    DSC05300.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 5,448
  • DSC05392.jpg
    DSC05392.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5,448
Thor, I love those Persuaders!!!

LES, nice work man! And DaveP, dont loose a friend over it man... nothin is worth that. If yall die right now, do you get bonus points in heaven for bein right? Neither the King James or the NIV mention anything like that. Be humble brother, it will serve you well.

I have three 500 Models, and I just ID them by barrel. I have one with a 24-inch rifled slug barrel, ported. Another has the 18.5-inch security barrel. Finally, I have a "hunter," as I call it, with the 28-inch vent rib barrel. I also have a .50 caliber black powder barrel that will work on any of them. They all have polymer furniture, as I tend to scuff the factory wood stuff.

Back