• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fitness for Survival

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
We had the long-distance hiking for survival thread ... how about an overall fitness thread? How closely do you feel overall fitness and survival are tied? What are you doing about it? Do you have a fitness routine? Does it involve two packs of cigarettes and a case of Busch Light every day or are you pumping iron in the gym and running marathons?

Personally, I've really been cranking it up since last fall. In September of last year, I would have considered myself "somewhat fit". My upper body strength was good. I regularly did a few push-ups and sit-ups before bed most nights. My cardio and endurance were probably about average - considering what "average" is in today's civilization, that wasn't all that good.

Last fall, I started running again after taking 25 years off. I changed my stride and it's protected my knees. I also started a longer and more intense non-running, whole-body workout around the same time. Now, I typically run three days a week and do the whole-body workout two days a week. Weekends, I try to get out and do some trail running or strenuous hiking, canoeing, etc.

What's your current status and plan?

fitness and overall health is paramount to survival.

Currently, a mile brisk (17 minute mile) daily.
Three days a week, I hit the gym for two addition miles a day and some strength training. nothing hard core, just enough to feel like Ive done something.

Other than that, I sit at a desk.

I'm not in very good shape at all.

I like to think I am. I'll work through anything. After hacking into my ankle with a hatchet, I was right back at work. After falling off a tank and breaking 3 metatarsals, I finished 8 and a half more hours of a 10 hour shift. Concussion, kept working. Recently shreared a piece of metal on a brakepress that hit me in the face in the corner of my eye and kept workin with blood runnin into my eyes. Busted hands, smashed fingers, burns... and arthritis. I've seen somewhere where cunstruction/industy jobs where folks are on their feet all day average a couple miles of walking daily. I dont know how acurate that is.

I know that isnt so much a measure of fitness, but I dont stop movin. I can hike without gettin winded. We did a couple miles last weekend with some pretty decent changes in elevation. It may not seem like much to some folks, but I'm not altogether active outside of work with exception of gettin out to shoot, and walk/work with dogs. My wife was way winded and she doesnt smoke, I do. About a pack a day. I was also carryin a pack full of water while hiking and climbing. While smoking.

Am I in shape? Probably not. But I can handle a heck of alot. Any points for that? :D

I work out at the gym at least 3 days a week. Start off the work out with a mile and half run. The run varies from 6mph to 8.5 mph and elevation change may change as far as 7% on the treadmill.

After that I hit the weights working on 2-3 body parts with 3 exercises dedicated to each part. I end the session with between 100-200 ab reps.

I'm also a martial artist but I've had to cut back a lot due to work and family (been training for over 15 years) but I manage to get in 1 or 2 days a week. I always start my MA session with 12 round (3 min each) heavy bag routine which varies in fighting combos.

I then do kata or 2 man drills depending on who's around. Used to do full contact fighting but I've lost interest. I did mix it up a few months ago and it was nice to know I still give people some nightmares lol BUT I'm the first to say you need to keep training full contact to be proficient at it.

Rossignol said:

I like to think I am. I'll work through anything. After hacking into my ankle with a hatchet, I was right back at work. After falling off a tank and breaking 3 metatarsals, I finished 8 and a half more hours of a 10 hour shift. Concussion, kept working. Recently shreared a piece of metal on a brakepress that hit me in the face in the corner of my eye and kept workin with blood runnin into my eyes. Busted hands, smashed fingers, burns... and arthritis. I've seen somewhere where cunstruction/industy jobs where folks are on their feet all day average a couple miles of walking daily. I dont know how acurate that is.

I know that isnt so much a measure of fitness, but I dont stop movin. I can hike without gettin winded. We did a couple miles last weekend with some pretty decent changes in elevation. It may not seem like much to some folks, but I'm not altogether active outside of work with exception of gettin out to shoot, and walk/work with dogs. My wife was way winded and she doesnt smoke, I do. About a pack a day. I was also carryin a pack full of water while hiking and climbing. While smoking.

Am I in shape? Probably not. But I can handle a heck of alot. Any points for that? :D

Holy s**t...I drove a frigging hatchet into the inside of my knee, cleaned it up and started my grilling! :D

LUGI said:
Rossignol said:

Holy s**t...I drove a frigging hatchet into the inside of my knee, cleaned it up and started my grilling! :D

Sounds to me like you guys need to sharpen your hatchets... Lol j/k
I used to be more active as a crane mechanic but now days behind a desk I'm more like 2-3 months pregnant...

Mine was brand new...see damn new yorker don't belong having a hatchet in his hand. I live in texas and now I have to grill with wood and I was on my knees swinging the hell out of my hatchet trying to cut some hickory wood and must have hit a knot and the blade slipped of the wood and into my knee. :shock:

I was scared to touch that bad boy for almost a year. :lol:

Figured I would bring this thread back to life with my input. I actually began a weight loss program 7 months ago. I did it mainly for health reasons but once I got into it I realized that if something were to happen, maybe a SHTF scenario that I would be screwed. So I started exercising a lot more and have lost 104lbs.

Many people think they would be just fine if they had to move on foot only and they are going to be surprised when they are winded 10min into their trip. I run 2 miles per day and walk a mile for my cool down. If I can't get out and run based on weather I do about 10 miles on the exercise bike. I believe physical fitness is more important than the gun in your hand if you can't aim it because your gasping for air.

If anybody is interested I would love to share experiences and any tips I may offer to those looking to get in shape or at least a better level than they currently are. I also have pics of starting at 370 and being at my current 266 if anyone is interested.

Congrats on your fitness acheivements!

I applaud your commitment and your success. We are definitely interestrd in reading more about your journey and goals...

ChrisMossy said:
Figured I would bring this thread back to life with my input. I actually began a weight loss program 7 months ago. I did it mainly for health reasons but once I got into it I realized that if something were to happen, maybe a SHTF scenario that I would be screwed. So I started exercising a lot more and have lost 104lbs.

Many people think they would be just fine if they had to move on foot only and they are going to be surprised when they are winded 10min into their trip. I run 2 miles per day and walk a mile for my cool down. If I can't get out and run based on weather I do about 10 miles on the exercise bike. I believe physical fitness is more important than the gun in your hand if you can't aim it because your gasping for air.

If anybody is interested I would love to share experiences and any tips I may offer to those looking to get in shape or at least a better level than they currently are. I also have pics of starting at 370 and being at my current 266 if anyone is interested.
Congrats.
My wife and I started (yesterday) a couch to 5K plan. We walked / jogged a 5K last July 4th. I think our time was like 50 minutes. not winded, but since it was 105 outside, we were definitely spent.
Our goal is to run a 5K around Christmas. Based on the schedule, we will be a couple weeks short, but I we can handle it.

Fronty Owner,

I have a few friends who have done the couch to 5k plan. Both were skinny but not in shape. It worked for them. Now they both run several 5k's a year.

Physical fitness is extremely important to ones overall mental and physical well being. I'm glad your wife and you are doing what you're doing.

I am trying to get myself into some semblance of a shape other than round,
Over the last year I have started to walk alot and ride a bike alot. When I was working in Saudi Arabia, I started walking 3 miles a day, and by the time I left Saudi Arabia, I was walking 6-9 miles on a weekday and 12 miles on my day off. Sometimes I would throw in a 45 minute eliptical workout if I went into work later in the morning. All this was above 6,500 ft in the mountains. My cardio was good and still is. Now that I am home, I have less time to work out, so I do 6 - 6.5 miles whenever I get the chance. When I ride my bike, I do at least 15 miles, and if I have time, I have a 20 mile loop I like to do.
So far it is paying off, I am down to 240 from over 270 in 2010, and I am off one of my blood pressure pills. Only one to go!

tcecil88 said:
I am trying to get myself into some semblance of a shape other than round,
Over the last year I have started to walk alot and ride a bike alot. When I was working in Saudi Arabia, I started walking 3 miles a day, and by the time I left Saudi Arabia, I was walking 6-9 miles on a weekday and 12 miles on my day off. Sometimes I would throw in a 45 minute eliptical workout if I went into work later in the morning. All this was above 6,500 ft in the mountains. My cardio was good and still is. Now that I am home, I have less time to work out, so I do 6 - 6.5 miles whenever I get the chance. When I ride my bike, I do at least 15 miles, and if I have time, I have a 20 mile loop I like to do.
So far it is paying off, I am down to 240 from over 270 in 2010, and I am off one of my blood pressure pills. Only one to go!

Good on ya buddy! I was put on a few different meds and the side effects were not tolerable for me. I fixed all my blood pressure problems through weight loss. I am glad you're doing the same. Feels good doesn't it?

I've been running, Usually run three miles every other morning, but with the temps in the teens and twentys it's been harder to my but out of bed at 4:45am, However, I have ran a couple times after work, but there are spammy cars out on the roads... I may start working out again in the basement.
My longest run to date was a little over seven miles, I have even done a trail run where we ran 3.6 miles up and 3.6 back with a 1300ft elevation change, that was fun.

ChrisMossy said:
Good on ya buddy! I was put on a few different meds and the side effects were not tolerable for me. I fixed all my blood pressure problems through weight loss. I am glad you're doing the same. Feels good doesn't it?

Thanks very much, it feels great, but I have a long way to go. I did 5.5 miles on the road this morning and 40 minutes on the eliptical tonight. My goal is 200. :)

tcecil88 said:
ChrisMossy said:

Thanks very much, it feels great, but I have a long way to go. I did 5.5 miles on the road this morning and 40 minutes on the eliptical tonight. My goal is 200. :)

Your goal is about the same as mine. I came from 370 to my current 260. Hoping for 200-220 in there somewhere.

Back