• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Scopes, Rings, and Bases

Re: picatinney rail for my new 464

I decided to go ahead with getting a 'blank' picatinny rail and making it fit my 464 SPX. This is what I've got so far:
DSC08015b.jpg

DSC08005b.jpg

DSC08007b.jpg

I cut the notch at the ejection port simply because I had gotten a high rail and it had the material, I don't think it's necessary. In any case, there's no problem feeding rounds, they don't even hit the rail.
I bought a 12" blank for ~$11 from someone on Amazon (free shipping) and put in about 3-4 hours with files and a belt sander to get to the point you see here. I need to use a little fine sandpaper to polish it up a bit, drill and counter-bore the mounting holes, paint it, and I'm done. Of course it helps being retired and having lots of free time...

Quite a lot of work, why a manufacturer doesn't do this is beyond me, there is a market...

Note: The cutout at the ejection port is needed...

I'm getting close, just need the holes in the rail counterbored and some 6-48 x .75" screws (I'll cut them to size). I'm using tyraps right now but I don't think they're mil-spec:
DSC08018c.jpg

When I got this far, it was easy seeing why the commercial scope bases are so low. I'm going to have to build up the cheek pad...

The #6 counterbore is coming from an eBay seller and the 6-48 X 3/4" screws from Brownells, then it'll be range-time woo-hoo :D

I got my custom, single piece, picatinny rail completed, holes counterbored and painted. I'm just waiting on the screws from Brownell's. Here's a picture of it:
DSC08027.JPG

Here is the finished rail installed, first with a red dot:
DSC08030.JPG

and then with a scope:
DSC08031.JPG

I'm pleased with the way it turned out, but it was a lot of work. I'm hoping to make it to the range this weekend, but if not it'll be next week...

That turned out well. Might have to market it. Might consider removing most of the rear. I don't imagine it will ever come in to play or maybe just move your mounting holes and cutout to the rear a bit more thereby creating more rail to the front... red dot and a magnifier.. whatever.

Very cool.

American said:
That turned out well. Might have to market it. Might consider removing most of the rear. I don't imagine it will ever come in to play or maybe just move your mounting holes and cutout to the rear a bit more thereby creating more rail to the front... red dot and a magnifier.. whatever.

Very cool.
Thank you, if I had the machine tools to do it I would make them and sell them, or at least make them on demand for people. For someone with a milling machine it would be a piece of cake. Re the overhang, I made it large, figuring that if it was objectionable or unnecessary I could shorten it later. The rear sight would interfere if the front end of the rail was made much longer, I guess removing the rear sight is always an option.

Is that your gun? If so, where did you get the stocks?[/quote]

Yes, it is mine. :D

It is factory... just it is a Davidson's Special run.

Lateck,

Andrew;

VERY NICE JOB!

Yes, if you had the equipment and time that would be an item that would sell.
(I'd get one. :lol: )

Thanks for finding a solution to the 464's problem.......

Lateck,

Yeah.. found your scope mount thread... now I'm watching one in an auction... "Hi, my name is Brad and I'm addicted to buying guns"

lateck said:

Is that your gun? If so, where did you get the stocks?

Yes, it is mine. :D

It is factory... just it is a Davidson's Special run.

Lateck,[/quote]

lateck said:
Andrew;

VERY NICE JOB!

Yes, if you had the equipment and time that would be an item that would sell.
(I'd get one. :lol: )

Thanks for finding a solution to the 464's problem.......

Lateck,
Thank you lateck! I'll let you know when I go into production :lol:
Where in AZ are you? I've been threatening to move there, but somehow got roped into staying with my son in El Paso...

My baby and I went to the rifle range at the Ft Bliss Rod and Gun Club, and I have to say she behaved herself. I was anticipating problems like screws (in my picatinny rail) coming loose or breaking but none of that happened. I put 39 rounds through her and she was an angel. The scope had never been shot on this gun before, it's a loan from my son, off his AR15. My first shots were low by about 8 inches at 25 yards, but windage was almost dead on! Windage was what I was concerned with, since it would be easy to file the curve incorrectly (where my home made picatinny rail sits on top of the receiver) and have the scope looking off to one side or the other. I was able to shoot 1.3 to 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards. I'm sure I'll improve on that as we get to know one another. I also ended up moving the scope as far back as possible, so I'm glad I had the long rear overhang. I also have the stock extended all the way, so I guess that's why.

All in all it was a good day at the range...

Scope Options Thread

Hey Y'all,

I know there's a couple threads on here with individuals showing their Rifle Scope Combo's, but I thought I'd start a dedicated Scope thread, for the benefit of those of us trying to figure out what to outfit with.

Right now, I have purchased some Kwik-Site See Thru mounts (no bases needed) so I can still use my fiber optic 3 dots, but am trying to figure out what scope to run on my own SPX.

My goal is to use this rifle for 100 yard target shooting at the range, as well as hopefully my first deer and hog hunts some day... My budget is up to $150.

So, what are you using on your 464, and any thoughts on what I should get for he above applications?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for your posts. I am going to try my hand at your scope mount. I have been looking for the same thing that you created.

Thanks for all the great posts. I finished my rail and installed my scope. It looks great and shoots great. Now I just need to install the bipod and bayonet.

i have been trying to attach a pic but i get a message that the board attachment quota has been reached. any suggestions?

d02901110 said:
i have been trying to attach a pic but i get a message that the board attachment quota has been reached. any suggestions?
Sounds like you might have to open a new topic...

Well here is my picatinny rail that I carved out thanks to your posts Andrew.

Attachments

• mossberg with scope rail.JPG
    mossberg with scope rail.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,061
  • mossberg with scope.JPG
    mossberg with scope.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Back