• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Accessories...

Rossignol said:
CCF, I may be wrong, but I believe the SPX extension is the Choate extension.

I had once called and asked OFM what extension they use and how could I get one. This was when I was lookin at somethin other than the 20" 590A1 I eventually purchased, but was wonderin how to go about installing an extension. They referred me to Choate. This was a couple years ago however, but they said it was the extension they use.

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone found a sturdy polymer clamp similar to the NC clamp in design?

I like the solid mounting design of the NC clamp but would rather have a lighter option.

I have searched and searched but can't seem to find anything out there.

Thanks

millsusaf said:

I like the solid mounting design of the NC clamp but would rather have a lighter option.

Thanks
Hi,
Have you looked at the Elzetta ZSM combo light and barrel-mag clamp?
Not sure if you can drop the light option.
http://www.elzetta.com/zsmFAQ.htm
Best....

SeaScout said:
millsusaf said:

Thanks
Hi,
Best....

Thanks! I was actually just coming back to post regarding the ZSM as I just found it too. I have an email into Elzetta asking that very question.

It sure appears like it can be removed from the line between the clamp and the light mount portion. I suppose if nothing else I could always cut the light mount off and sand that side to match the other contour.

ETA:

I just received an email from Elzetta answering my question (they were VERY prompt btw, +1). They said the light mount portion could be removed if desired.

millsusaf said:
SeaScout said:
millsusaf said:

Thanks
Hi,
Best....

Thanks! I was actually just coming back to post regarding the ZSM as I just found it too. I have an email into Elzetta asking that very question.

It sure appears like it can be removed from the line between the clamp and the light mount portion. I suppose if nothing else I could always cut the light mount off and sand that side to match the other contour.

ETA:

I just received an email from Elzetta answering my question (they were VERY prompt btw, +1). They said the light mount portion could be removed if desired.

I thought so. I have the Elzetta mount on my SPX with the quick detach option for both the light and also the quick detach for the sling swivel on the other side of the barrel. Very good product and company.
Best...

Mossberg 930 SPX with AFG

I just posted my initial range review of my 930 SPX here and am very impressed with it.
http://mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4491&p=57489#p57489

By my very nature I am a tinkerer and love figuring out how I can modify things. My guns are no exception to this. This SPX serves two roles for me as a 3-gun shotty as well as a HD/SHTF shotty so in order for the gun to better fit my needs some things need to change.

I like Magpul's AFG and have one on just about all my rifles. I looked into getting a railed forearm for the SPX but have not read the best reviews on either the Elite Tactical Bobcat or the Aimpro Tri-Rail.
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/88
http://www.elitetacticaladvantage.com/xcart/product.php?productid=14&cat=1&page=1
http://www.aimprotactical.com/aimpro_tactical_930_tri-rail_forend.htm

So today I decided I would forgo the rail, save the money and weight and start a little DIY project. I had seen that someone else screwed a rail section onto the existing forearm and added an AFG like I wanted so I took their idea and ran with it.

On the way to the range today I stopped by my local gun shop to pick up a Magpul rail for $10. I gathered it and the rest of the tools I would need and got to work.
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG408/103
DSCN4954.jpg

Earlier today while re-assembling the gun after cleaning I carefully measured and marked where I could safely but a rail section (between the blue tape). There is just enough room under the forearm where the piston spacer is for this project. I marked and drilled the holes then roughly marked the width of the rail.
DSCN4956.jpg

The next step was to start sanding the curved area on the forearm flat so that the rail would have more surface area to clamp to. Before I started this however I took the rail section over to the belt sander and took some of the height off it. This will help the AFG to sit lower on the forearm and IMO, look a lot better. I am a bit impatient so I decided to forgo the files for the initial part of the sanding and took the forearm over to the 1" belt sander. I VERY carefully took off a little bit at a time until I has mostly happy with the flatness. Then I used files to smooth things out and get the final profile.
DSCN4957.jpg

DSCN4958.jpg

The Magpul rail section comes with flat nuts with a little nipple on them. To get the nut to lay flatter inside the forearm, I drilled out slightly larger holes on the inside of it.
DSCN4960.jpg

DSCN4959.jpg

Then I screwed everything together and it turned out 99% perfect. The nuts lay almost perfectly flat and the screws only stick above the nut slightly. From the sides it is almost impossible to tell the rails were not meant to be there.
DSCN4965.jpg

DSCN4963.jpg

DSCN4961.jpg

DSCN4962.jpg

It works like a champ and looks great to boot!
DSCN4969.jpg

DSCN4967-1.jpg

Additional mods will be coming in the near future. :D
Thanks!

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX with AFG

I like it.

Very nice write-up.

Millsusaf,

I really like this mod and was wondering... is everything nice and sturdy when tightened down? My concern is that there may not be enough "meat" there after drilling and countersinking the mounting holes. Just want to be sure that the forend doesn't split or crack after repeated use :eek: It looks like the nuts will spread the load out pretty good. Nice write up and pics too.

Thanks!

Hammer

Thanks. Time will tell how well it holds up but I am confident it will be fine. There is actually a decent amount of material under there. I went back to the range today and blew through another 25rds before it got dark to check to make sure there were no clearance issues and that the mount would hold up to 12ga recoil. So far so good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Looks great man! I'm always impressed with our members takin on modifications like this. I'm not nearly brave enough enough to start messin with furniture the way you did here and the way I've seen others do. Nicely done!!!

On another note, what are the blue guns for? Do you make holsters or use them for training?

Thanks, I am very happy with how it turned out. I have always built and modified my guns. Not all of them turned out quite how I anticipated but sometimes it is a learning experience. Lol

As for the blueguns, yes I make holsters and use them for that.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

millsusaf said:
I had seen that someone else screwed a rail section onto the existing forearm and added an AFG like I wanted so I took their idea and ran with it.
Good write up - thank you. I think this will be my first mod - but for a Vertical Fore Grip.

I have a forend that was modified in this fashion.
It was on my 930 when I bought it.
If anyone is interested I would be willing to trade as I dont like verticle or angled forgrips.
Contact me at
danimal308 at yahoo dot com

I recently installed the AFG 1 using this post as a guide. It turned out very nice and feels solid as a rock. Not a big fan of the railed forends available for this gun personally.

Hammer

Necrodamus said:
.....If anyone is interested I would be willing to trade.......

Trade completed - Dan, you are a stand up guy - it was a pleasure doing business with you.

The pleasure was mine!
Thank you sir!

On a side note... I cant leave you a rep point because I dont have a rep power.
It is the same for you. I feel alienated!

There's a minimum post limit before your rep power is enabled. I'd have to check with our admin to see what the minimum is, but I don't think it's too high. I'll rep him for ya this time...

Rossignol said:
Looks great man! I'm always impressed with our members takin on modifications like this. I'm not nearly brave enough enough to start messin with furniture the way you did here and the way I've seen others do. Nicely done!!!

On another note, what are the blue guns for? Do you make holsters or use them for training?

I agree I'm the "I cut it twice and it was still to short!!??!!" guy

.40-.45 said:
Rossignol said:

I agree I'm the "I cut it twice and it was still to short!!??!!" guy

:lol: Me too!!!

Back