• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Accessories

First of all, the latest turn in this topic is hilarious!

Secondly, srvctec said "butt". Also hilarious.

And C, Yes the stock can be cut down and still work, though I dont know how far and the screws still work. The recoil pad will def stick out around the edges. I'm not among those brave enough to try myself.

srvctec,

I'm far too much of a noob with my shotgun to have an opinion that is worth anything. However, I think if you cut down the OEM stock, a replacement buttpad will no longer fit since the diameter of the buttplate will be smaller. Limbsaver has a version that can be cut/ground down to fit, but I'm not sure it can be reduced as much as will be needed. Looking at my 590 OEM stock, the diameter from the existing buttplate is much, much larger than the diameter 3 inches toward the trigger.

One of the forum members will have a definitive answer for you, I'm sure.

Cheers,
Mad

I just had another thought on this. I was on Limbsaver's website and they have a downloadable template of all the screw on butt pads. I'm going to measure the OEM stock at the point I wish to cut it off and just install the appropriate screw on pad or see what all the options are and cut it off close to where I want that will match a screw on pad.

Hey guys thanks for all the kind responses. I have always wanted to enter the world of shotguns and I love the feel of a mossberg. I really do want a 590A1 over any other model. The 590s are great and the first mossberg I had ever shot was a 500, however, I just do not fancy plastic parts much. Lord knows it took me a long time to make the decision to own at least one polymer pistol (Beretta PX4) and as reliable as the gun as has been so far, it gives me the creeps when I break it down and feel how toy like the frame feels like. I am a pistol guy, and plan on buying just one shotgun and the 590A1 fits the bill exactly to what I want for the most part.

There are things I would like to do to the shotgun (it seems everyone tailors it to their liking). Honestly, i have been researching for such a long time on what necessities I need to add to it. The only road bump I have ran into with is figuring out a mag extension combo that works with a magazine tube clamp (I have seen some nasty stuff when it comes to a magazine tube getting whacked pretty good, clamps are a good thing in my eyes).

I think I may just go with the NC +1 and the NC magazine tube clamp and call it done, even if I wanted a +2 extension on the 18.5" 590A1. I do realize the S&J hardware +2 magazine extension exists for the 590A1 but a magazine clamp (as far as I know) that is compatible I do not know of one.

Does anyone know if the NC +2 magazine tube extends past the barrel end of the 18.5"? If it fits flush or doesn't even reach the end of the barrrel, that would be great, and my troubles would be over.

This has been such a knowledgeable forum, if someone could answer my mag tube extension and clamp problem, then I would have found all my answers via this site.

Nakakazu,

Why not just get a 590A1 that already has a 20" barrel and holds 9 shells?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26&display=specs

If cost is the issue, consider what I said earlier and get a regular 590.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&display=specs

I have shot both the 590 and the A1 and honestly can't understand the benefit of the latter for anything other than heavy use. If it comes down to it, you can upgrade the 590 to an effective A1; thick barrel, metal trigger assembly, etc.

In fact, you will have a slightly easier time adding front end rails that fit between the magazine tube and the barrel with a 590 than an A1. (So I have heard, I didn't compare when I was shooting the A1.)

Cheers,
Mad

I agree here with Mad, if you have your heart set on an A1, then go for the 20" barrel 9 round capacity.

If however you wanna stick with the 18 1/2" barrel, then go with the 590. Youll have a way easier time fittin a mag extension and clamp because of the standard profile barrel. A 500 clamp will work.

I wouldnt personally read too much into the metal parts. I have a 590A1 and I have 2 500's. All have been in the field and none have been cared for particularly well, all have been abused. But if the 590A1 is what you want, then go for it!!!

You know what gentleman...i think you may have just convinced me to buy the 20". It would solve the majority of my problems and i would still get an A1. Just a little bit worried about the weight fully loaded as well as the length as I am only 5'6".

Thanks for the input I think I can safely say ill take either a 20" or an 18.5" with GRS, which ever I see first at the LGS. If I get my hands on the 18.5" then it will be a NC clamp and +1 mag extension. If the 20" I won't need either!

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Man, I'm 5'10" with my boots on. The weight has never been an issue but I def prefer a shorter LOP.

Just watch with the heavy barrel of the A1 and the 18 1/2". The standard NC clamp may not fit the barrel.

length of pull and the comfort weight of a weapon can be two different things. A person might have long arms, but not have the tricep and shoulder strength for a 8 pound weapon.

I don't think the weight will be that much of a problem if you aren't hunting with it. You'll need a break from the recoil pounding before your muscles give out. On top of that, a shotgun isn't like a carbine where you could go through 30-50 rounds in one setting.

In short, don't be overly concerned with the weight. LOP is more important.

Well, I ordered my first accessory for my 590A1. Based on all the great info from this site, ordered a Limbsaver 10201 recoil pad. Hopefully it will be here my the end of the week.
Next, to stock up on some ammo.
Then a sling and/or something to replace my bead site. Hopefully wifey will buy me the case I showed her for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

BowtieBill said:
Well, I ordered my first accessory for my 590A1. Based on all the great info from this site, ordered a Limbsaver 10201 recoil pad. Hopefully it will be here my the end of the week.
Then a sling and/or something to replace my bead site. Hopefully wifey will buy me the case I showed her for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

Bowtie,

Before stocking up on a lot of ammunition, check out your local shooting ranges since they might have restrictions. Out here in the People's Republic of California (Los Angeles), the indoor ranges that allow shotguns require the use of their in-house shells. (7.5 birdsghot typically). Our outdoor rangescan also have restrictions against hardened loads due to fire danager. Then there's the hunting locations which might have restrictions for non-toxic loads (no lead).

I'm sitting on a lot of ammunition that I can't shoot unless I travel far, far away.

Cheers,
Mad

MadBiker Wolf said:
BowtieBill said:

Bowtie,

Before stocking up on a lot of ammunition, check out your local shooting ranges since they might have restrictions. Out here in the People's Republic of California (Los Angeles), the indoor ranges that allow shotguns require the use of their in-house shells. (7.5 birdsghot typically). Our outdoor rangescan also have restrictions against hardened loads due to fire danager. Then there's the hunting locations which might have restrictions for non-toxic loads (no lead).

I'm sitting on a lot of ammunition that I can't shoot unless I travel far, far away.

Cheers,
Mad

Thanks for the info, Mad. I had looked at the restrictions our indoor range had on hand gun ammo, but there was no mention of shotgun. I will call them first before I order anything.

The indoor range near my house limits shotgun to slugs and buck.

Only other restriction is no steel core ammo.

Just got off the phone with our range, setting up a hand gun class for the wife and I. Asked about restrictions with Shotgun shells, she said they are the same as hand gun, just no steel. Can shoot shotshells, buck shot, and slugs, just have to pass the magnet test.

Hogue 12" LOP, sling and sling mount on the way... Well when they ship it :D
Also added the slip on limbsaver.

Really hate having to order this stuff sight unseen but MO and you guys have helped a lot.

Next up, and should be last thing, is a forarm and light.
I'm leaning toward the GG&G setup

http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-and- ... -sale.html

If anyone has this set up, could you post a pic of yoir hand working the light?
Or if anyone has a pic of the ease of working the light on their setup. Can't really find any and I think it will help us noobs that can't see this stuff in person.

Edit*
Damn, I forgot I also want the VangComp side saddle.

Back