• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noob question...need advice before I buy a 500.

PeterW

Copper BB
Hi all....Great forum! As a noobie here, I just spent hours reading through lots of informative stuff. So here's my first post:

I'm trying to decide which model of the MB 500 to buy, and I'm hoping you folks can help me avoid my usual "Damn....I shoulda bought THAT model instead of this one" post-purchase blues. There are so many different models of the 500 on the MB website that my head is starting to spin.

The use will be for HD. And I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'd like the option of trying the pistol grip. I'd also like to try mounting a dot laser, and maybe a flashlight. 5+1 is fine but 7+1 is better.

Am I better off buying a model like the 50575 (8-shot with Tri-Rail forend but no pistol grip kit-part of the "Special Purpose Tactical TriRail Series) or the 50579 (8-shot with the Pistol Grip Kit, but, from what I can tell, no rail....part of the Special Purpose Persuader/Cruiser Series. I believe this is "Drilled and tapped"...but I'm not sure if that helps me).

If I buy the one with the Pistol Grip Kit, what would I need to add to mount a laser dot and/or flashlight, as far as rails,, mounting hardware, etc? I know a lot of folks say to forget about the pistol grip, but, as I said, I'd like the option of trying it out.

I guess it boils down to: Is it less expensive to add a pistol grip kit afterwards, or a rail to mount the laser and possibly flashlight.

My wife has the Ruger LCP380 with the Crimson Trace laser, and she wants to learn to shoot the Mossberg. She feels comfortable/more secure with a laser dot.

I've seen both models on sale for around $320. I'd like to keep the whole budget at about $400. Any ideas on a decent laser dot that doesn't cost too much?

Oh, one more thing. Down the road, I might want to try skeet/target shooting. Can I easily swap a longer barrel onto both models? Or for that matter, should I be looking at a different model altogether????

Any ideas or suggestions? THANKS!!!!!!

First off, welcome to the forum.

The larger capacity 500's have the barrel lug extended to accommodate the extra rounds. If you by one of these and decide you want a field barrel later you will need to replace the magazine tube as well, not a big deal, but something to consider.

The 500 is pretty versatile. You can swap out stocks, forends, etc. pretty easily. It's hard for me to recommend a specific model. On the railed model the side rails can always be removed and the bottom rail can be covered, although it will be a little bulker than a non-railed version. if you go with the non-railed version there are clamps and such that can be used to mount a light/laser/etc. Or you could swap out the forend completely for something different.

The best I can recommend is to decide to the best of your abilities what the primary and most used function will be and go from there. I've never felt under gunned using a 5 round shotgun for HD. I used one for 20+ years before I decided to dedicate it to the task and upgrade it to 8 rounds (honestly I liked the balance and feel of the 5 round model better, but that was what I was used to)

More rounds = longer tube so it makes confined spaces more difficult without practice. look at the environment you intend to use it in and make sure that you would be able to get around and get on target. Shotgun mounted shell holders are a way to add rounds to your overall capacity and can be quickly brought to task with practice once the magazine tube is empty.

I have the railed forend and I have yet to attach anything to them and I think barrel/mag tube clamps are looking the better option. The rails limit the grip and can catch you off guard when pulling the trigger. The forend is not a good option is a laser in my opinion because it moves, but a light might be OK. However the light being too far back will add muzzle shadow and why I am thinking of a clamp solution for myself.

Look into the FLEX system that OFM is offering. You can swap out the butstock between pistol and traditional without much trouble. that would allow you to equip the shotgun for the purpose at hand.

Barels are always abel to be swapped out and available for viewing on OFM's website. you would be able to find plenty of options for the 500 frame.

Thanks MikeD and Rip...that kind of info is just what I was looking for. I didn't realize that the 8 round wouldn't swap out a barrel as easily....but now thinking about it makes sense. Replacing the magazine tube to do so is the kind of future expense I'm looking to avoid. So now it's a search for a 5+1.

Other ideas, anyone?

In my humble opinion, 5+1 is plenty for a couple of reasons I'll touch on in a minute. Just remember if you use a 3 inch shotshell instead of 2 3/4 inch shotshell, you lose some capacity, but using 3 inch shells would be torturous indoors, both in unncecessary recoil, and overall volume (loudness) of the shot being fired.

With that said, for HD, a lot of folks carry extra shells either on a bandolier or on a shell carrier that mounts directly to the gun. That way, even though the gun may technically be a 6 shot, you can reload on the go (or need) even before the gun is empty to increase their overall capacity.

So buying into the need to have an 8 shot versus 6 shot magazine tube, is really a moot point the majority of the time once you learn that you can keep adding shells even before the gun is empty.

There are plenty of video's on youtube and other places that show how to do what is called a tactical reload.

I dislike the word tactical being so over used, but that's what it is called. I have also heard it being called a ghost reload if you want to search for it as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkn2yZE2oc[/youtube]

Here is an honest reply from a guy that has a safe FULL of shotguns.
3 of them are 500's!

Forget the pistol grip! For HD all you need to do is tuck the stock under your arm.
In this mode you still have a good grip on the gun and follow up shots are much more acurate.
I have a pistol grip that just sits in the pile of extra gun parts that I own. I am sure that more than a few of us on this forum have that same pistol grip sitting in their own personal pile of unused gun parts :lol:

Once you try shooting Trap or Skeet it will become a full time hobby....VERY ADDICTING!
So get a gun that can be MOSTLY used for clay games. You will get much more use out of it shooting the games than you will ever get out of it as an HD gun. If you find this to not be true than I suggest that you move :lol:

My wife and I are both avid clay shooters and she is VERY good at it. However even with all her experience with a 12 ga, I would never hand her a pistol gripped shotgun! There is no place to absorb the recoil without a stock on it.
If I had handed her one in the beginning of her shotgun "Carreer" it would have been over before it started.......Wait if I did that, than I would be saving tons of money in lead :shock:

Dang fellas, lotsa good advice!!! Welcome to Mossberg Owners Pete!!!

I'm not a huge fan of pistol grip only (PGO) shootin. But it can be done, practice will typically yeild proficiency. (if youre interested, I have a pistol grip kit that sits in a drawer I have no intention of ever using again that I will offer to you at a good deal, like tell me what works for you and we'll do it!)

The railed stuff is probably the more expensive to addd aftermarket wise. Lasers... I know we have threads on them but I couldnt say where. A search may yeild decent results.

Correct on the info about not bein able to swap out barrels on the 8 round model. I have a Persuader, and I love it, but a 5 round magazine will allow you to easily swap a barrel in minutes down the roud should you wanna hunt one day and keep the peace another. The 5 round magazine also allows for the 18 1/2" barrel. The are a number of 18 1/2" Persuaders out there I believe in matte black and I'm certain there is a model with a railed forend. Or skip the railed forend and get the synthetic combo of the HD/Field barrels. They may even have a combo with a threaded field barrel so choke can be used...

man, so many choices!

What do you folks think of this at Budsguns? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...622/Mossberg+50521+500SP+12+18+6SH+CB+PGK+PRK

One owner's review says: "GUN PERFORMS OUTSTANDING ONLY DOWN FALL IS IT HAS A ONE PIECE FOREND. CAN NOT UPGRADE FOREND UNLESS YOU BUY THE FOREND TUBE FOR A MOSSBERG 500 THE FOREND ON THIS GUN IS FOR A MAVERICK STYLE GUN GREAT FOR THE PRICE GUN IS OUTSTANDING AND BUDS SHIPPING WAS GREAT OVERALL IF YOU WANT A 12 GAUGE FOR HOME DEFENCE GREAT GUN IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE FOREND BY A HIGHER END MOSSBERG "

Even though the forend can't be upgraded easily, does that make any difference if I want to swap out to a longer barrel for skeet?

Would a clamp be the best way to go for a flashlight/laser dot?

Thanks!

I have bought from Buds before.....since you still have to pay for the xfer at your LGS, I suggest that you do some shopping on Gunbroker. You will probably find a better deal.

Not being able to swap the forend out will not affect your ability to swap the barrels.
Yes on the clamp ;)

Im not a real fan of lazers or lights on a gun, perhaps I play it safe and think more in terms of defense than offense though, and what Im trying to achieve might not be what your trying to achieve, a could see the use of a light, laser on the other hand...money that went towards a laser, coulda been better spent on ammo and practice.

I also wouldnt buy a mossberg because of the accessories you can buy.

If you havent already, Id go put my hands on different shotgun makes and models. You will probably realize safety placement, management of, the way the gun feels when you operate it, varies slightly from weapon to weapon but might make all the difference to you.

If a mossberg is your choice. Then my opinion, more rounds the better, and short barrel. The rest, is just extra IMO.

Im also just a dude that likes to type, and can only base my thoughts on my life experience and objective. :D

If you want all the goodies, it`s usually cheaper to buy them as a package. You also save the risks/hassles of aftermarket parts. And I think it will hold its value later if you sell it to get a stripped down HD gun that is more practical. there is a huge market for tricked-out shotguns.

Shotguns are the King of HD because they are cheap, legal in more areas, and pack the stopping power. Once you add a bunch of quality goodies they are no longer cheap. Once you start thinking of needing more than 6 shots you are, or should be, in carbine territory.

My thoughts lean to a minimalist HD shotgun that is always loaded with buckshoot, always in the same condition of readyness, and always stored in the same location. That`s the beauty of the HD pump: they are cheap enough to do this. My sporting arms are stored elsewhere, unloaded.

If price is a concern, take a look at the Maverick 88. I just bought a 590 but I was impressed with the 88 for the price, particularly if you intend limited use. I don't like the safety on the 88 but that's really the only thing I didn't like.

I paid $412 for my 590 from LGS. Pretty good deal I thought. The 88 would have been around $280.

Back