• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mods? and fix question..

DJjustinD

Copper BB
Hello Friends...this is my first post, and it's great to see this message board devoted to Mossberg ownners! I'm DJjustinD, from Sunny South Florida, the "Gunshine State!"

My questions are as follows..

...my 500, which I just picked up used, is a bit sticky, as the pump hangs up a bit. Any idea what might be the issue? I've read online there may be a small burr someplace that needs grinding off. Does anyone know where it best I look?

And next...I'm converting my 18.5 inch barrel gun to full tactical use, so does anyone have any suggestions on modifications I can make to the actual mechanism, taking the fact I'm making her a "Assault Protector" out of her? I once saw someone who had made a pump able to fire steadily by holding down the trigger while pumping...not that this is what I have specifically in mind, but is there anything I should be doing to make her more effective?

Does anyone know of an add=on barrel end to make it like the breacher, aside from just buying the entire barrel?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you join in!

FIRST, you have to modify your Mossberg shotgun into a left-handed version because assailants are always expecting a right-handed model and this will completely foil their plan...

minotaurrail7.jpg

Kidding.... I'm kidding. :roll:

I won't comment on your questions here on your first post on the forum. I hope you'll find the answers you are seeking as to what "modifications ... to the actual mechanism" you hope to accomplish.

If you'd like my personal opinion just ask and I'll be more than glad to share it with you. :)

First, welcome aboard. Second, get instructions online or elsewhere on how to field strip and clean your gun. It`s not hard, you just need to play with it a little as you read the instructions and break it down to the 7 or so parts recommended for routine inspection and cleaning.

If your used gun is not damaged, cleaning and light lubing with a small amount of any gun oil (I like Breakfree CLP, but for a mossberg pump anything will do) should fix your problem. Small burrs are removed with small, fine gunsmithing stones, but cycling the action or running some ammo thru it tends to do the same thing.

Hi and welcome to MO!

We actually have videos posted here like this one;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV6oIcCQjj8[/youtube]

I have no idea what to look for spefically for a burr except to say break it down and inspect all the pieces. Once familiar with the pieces and the gun is reassembled, if its still sticky, try and look for whats hangin up while cycling the action.

As for full tactical use, the Mossberg 500 Persuader with either a 18 1/2" barrel (just cuz thats whats legal without for us civies without a tax stamp) or a 20" barrel is already in full tactical mode my friend. But who doesnt wanna make their Mossberg their very own via some minor modification?! So a breacher? It can be accomplished a couple ways, but its pricey which ever way you go. You can have the barrel threaded (OFM is accu-choke) and then install a breacher choke in improved cylinder which can fire both buckshot and slugs.

I have no idea what you mean by "assault protector" and while I have heard there are kits to make a pump slam fire as you describe, I wouldnt know where to look.

In closing, the firearm is already incredibly effective as an HD firearm, effective and competent. The 500 and 590's with plain bead sights are in use throughout the US Armed Forces.

I firmly believe gadgetry is no surrogate for practice nor does it equal proficiency. The firearm on its own is nothing without you. Practice. Lots. Learn the gun inside and out and get a feel for the handling characteristics. It should be like bein able to find your own nose in the dark. There is no product on the market to make either you or the gun any better in any form without gettin lots a trigger time in.

Now, its your goat and youre the only one feedin it, I dont care how you dress it for the prom. BUT! There are lots a cool things that dont help at all or add any functionallity, kinda like that pic of my gun NiteSite posted! :lol: Just kiddin, that isnt mine, it belongs to JohnA.!!! :D

Back