• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I believe that my M590 has finally reached perfection

2012-07-18_18-01-34_926.jpg

2012-07-18_18-02-13_51.jpg

Mossberg M590
Hogue 13" LOP stock and forend from Aimpro
IWC QD micro mount
TacStar Sidesaddle
Brownells enhanced safety
GGG follower
Wolff extra power spring
Laserlyte tri rail mount
Insight M3X with malkoff conversion
DD QD mount
XS big dot
Condor speedy 2 point sling
I have been through many different configurations for my main combat shotgun. I tried ghost rings and liked them (my next shotgun will have them) but found that for extremely close range, they cluttered my view a little. I tried retractable stocks and sort of like them (that next shotgun will have the stock pictured below) but with the Mesa setup, the cheek weld is a bit high for use with bead sights. I also tried Mesa Tactical sidesaddles, and while they are more robust than the Tac Star variety, they dont hold shells as securely and i switched back to Tac Star.
This is the configuration that i have finally settled on, and i think that its here to stay. Now im gonna start on my next one, an 18.5" M590A1!
2012-06-28_20-21-59_780.jpg

It looks absolutely awesome!!! I love the Hogue stuff and I have the same tacstar side saddle! and Hornady Critical Defense!!! :D

Looks nice and it's cool to hear the next one is already in the planning stages.

carbinemike said:
Looks nice and it's cool to hear the next one is already in the planning stages.
Thanks guys
Yeah, my next one planned is a M590A1 with 18.5" barrel and +2 mag extension, ghost rings, Mesa stock adapter much like the one pictured, and probably a lighter forend or another TLR-1 setup, not sure.

I didnt like how the TacStar sidesaddle made disassembly difficult, so i swapped it for velcro HSGI shot shell trays. I am currently evaluating how much i like them.
2012-08-14_09-45-31_997.jpg

Very nice.

I sooooo want a 590!!

masakari said:
I didnt like how the TacStar sidesaddle made disassembly difficult, so i swapped it for velcro HSGI shot shell trays. I am currently evaluating how much i like them.
2012-08-14_09-45-31_997.jpg

Nice set up Masakari.
I had a question on the HSGI shell trays. Do your shells stay in there? I have a few of them I'm trying to run on a PC inside of there X2R Taco's. My shells are EXTREMLEY loose! If I was to even think about running them on the side of my 590 they would ALL be on the ground before I even shot it. Not trying to bash HSGI @ ALL! The guys over there are pretty awesome & stand behind there wicked cool products. They will replace them as soon as I get around to shipping out. Just wanted to hear another owners opinion.. Maybe I got a bad run? I'm basing my opinion of of a tacstar which was nice & tight.

jimmycrackcorn said:
Nice set up Masakari.
I had a question on the HSGI shell trays. Do your shells stay in there? I have a few of them I'm trying to run on a PC inside of there X2R Taco's. My shells are EXTREMLEY loose! If I was to even think about running them on the side of my 590 they would ALL be on the ground before I even shot it. Not trying to bash HSGI @ ALL! The guys over there are pretty awesome & stand behind there wicked cool products. They will replace them as soon as I get around to shipping out. Just wanted to hear another owners opinion.. Maybe I got a bad run? I'm basing my opinion of of a tacstar which was nice & tight.
Thats what im trying to figure out now. They dont seem as tight as i would like, but they do get tighter when pressed on the receiver. Otherwise, they tend to bow out a little.
My tacstar tended to loosen up a bit on shells too, and i mainly replaced it because of how it mounted. If these HSGI shotshell trays dont work for me, ill just get an elastic one like 3gungear, and be done with it.

You have put together quite a main combat shotgun. Are you military?

How much have you invested on purchasing ammo and shooting it until you're tired and then shooting some more?

Anyway, I really like the simplicity of your setup. That sling point on the buttstock is something I'm going to have to look into. Can you point me in the right direction, please? :)

Nice setup!

Could the Tacstar shell holder be held on with velcro too? Maybe that would be the best of both worlds for ease of disassembly and holding the shells solidly. I don't have one to say either way, just an idea.

Thats what im trying to figure out now. They dont seem as tight as i would like, but they do get tighter when pressed on the receiver. Otherwise, they tend to bow out a little.
My tacstar tended to loosen up a bit on shells too, and i mainly replaced it because of how it mounted. If these HSGI shotshell trays dont work for me, ill just get an elastic one like 3gungear, and be done with it.

If your gunna ditch the HSGI's, call them up first & see what they can do. They like to hear consumer feed back. Who knows maybe you could trade for a different product..?? While your at it, check out Esstac's shell cards. You can get them over @skdtac.com or call directly. They have a 7 round capacity & have hook on the back side, I have a couple & they seem to be pretty tight. They will also do custom orders from what I understand. I asked about a 6round shell card & they said no prob, no extra $$ for a custom run of 2 or 3. I think they are like $15 a peice.

nitesite said:
You have put together quite a main combat shotgun. Are you military?
How much have you invested on purchasing ammo and shooting it until you're tired and then shooting some more?
Anyway, I really like the simplicity of your setup. That sling point on the buttstock is something I'm going to have to look into. Can you point me in the right direction, please? :)
Nice setup!
Yessir, 5 years Active Marine Corps, and im currently in the USMC reserves.
Ive done some shooting in my time, but ill be honest, i am LEAST proficient with shotguns. I need to keep working on it, especially reloading and shell changover. The sling mount is made by IWC, called the flush QD mount. It requires you to drill a 1/2" hole, and thats about it, really simple.
carbinemike said:
Could the Tacstar shell holder be held on with velcro too? Maybe that would be the best of both worlds for ease of disassembly and holding the shells solidly. I don't have one to say either way, just an idea.
Yes it could, but to be honest the HSGI construction is very similar, and a bit less bulky, so i figured that id go that route instead.
jimmycrackcorn said:
If your gunna ditch the HSGI's, call them up first & see what they can do. They like to hear consumer feed back. Who knows maybe you could trade for a different product..?? While your at it, check out Esstac's shell cards. You can get them over @skdtac.com or call directly. They have a 7 round capacity & have hook on the back side, I have a couple & they seem to be pretty tight. They will also do custom orders from what I understand. I asked about a 6round shell card & they said no prob, no extra $$ for a custom run of 2 or 3. I think they are like $15 a peice.
I dont think ill ditch the HSGIs. They are about as loose as my TacStar, and honestly, i dont see it getting much better. From what i hear about the Esstac cards, they drop shells occasionally too. 3GunGear is supposed to have the strongest elastic, but at this point, i think that i will just run with brass up, and eliminate the possibility of dropping shells. If i change anything in the future, it will be to get 3gungear sidesaddles, but i want to thoroughly test these first.
jimmycrackcorn said:
I think this may be what he used on the stock... http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/ ... cro-mount/
Am I correct?
Yep, thats exactly it.

nitesite said:
That is one helluva Beretta 59 you have there! I'm envious.
Its actually a Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM16. it has changed a little bit since that picture though, as i changed the sling and mount setup, removed the side rails, and added a Surefire light on an offset mount off of the top rail.

Back