• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shortened my 590A1 OEM stock...

srvctec

I hadn't planned on actually doing this tonight, but thought what the heck. I've had my 590A1 for a couple of weeks now and finally got to take it out and pattern it last night. I have the KickLite KLT001 adjustable stock installed and found the sweet spot for me as far as LOP goes- it's 13". Since I may want to go back to the OEM stock for hunting or whatever other reason, I decided I'd need the OEM stock shortened or buy a Hogue, which I don't have the funds for right now. That and I love doing this type of thing, although I've never chopped off a stock before.

The OEM LOP is 14 3/8", so I chopped off 1 3/8". I will order a LimbSaver Precision-Fit recoil pad using the downloadable templates from their website as a guide for which model to get.

All set up and ready to make the cut. I had to shim several places to keep it square vertically and horizontally.
photobucket-22317-1344997665865.jpg

Just after the cut.
photobucket-1517-1344997667211.jpg

After filing smooth and trimming burrs. If I would do anything different, it would be to NOT extend the stock holes down into the bosses. The OEM holes are only drilled slightly deeper than the screws, so I drilled them deeper in anticipation of cutting them off. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have just cut them off so I could drill new holes to match the new LimbSaver recoil pad when I get it. But I think it will still work fine.
photobucket-1627-1344997668495.jpg

Bonus! My sling swivel mount is still usable.
photobucket-22330-1344997669792.jpg

I'll update this thread with pics of the LimbSaver installed after I get it.

Mods, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or if it makes more sense to have it over in Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting. If so, please move it.

Nice work. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks guys! Just ordered a LimbSaver 10102 which fits with less than 1/16" of deviation on the sides near the top- hoping I can trim that tiny amount off without any issues. I'll update with pics when I get it installed next week.

Looks good! I was going to do that with mine, but decided to get the Aimpro Tactical 13" LOP hogue stock. Same result either way.

Got the LimbSaver recoil pad today and will install it in a few after some light filing of the base plate for a perfect fit. Just thought I'd post a separate reply to this thread to mention where I ordered the pad from. It's Walnut Creek Archery on ebay. Great price of $34.99 shipped and super fast delivery. Ordered it very late night on the 14th and got it today. http://www.ebay.com/itm/330364454537?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Just finished some light filing to remove about a 1/16" in a couple of places from the base plate where it stuck out from the stock. It's not a perfect fit, but it's as close a fit as the OEM pad was.

photobucket-6418-1345331057505.jpg

photobucket-2608-1345331056225.jpg

Thanks guys!

Had to swap out stocks to get a pic with it on the gun- had my KickLite mounted. It's not the greatest pic since it was taken with my phone, but it will do.

photobucket-3077-1345344727639.jpg

Nice work, I did mine with a recp saw! I carved down the original butt pad too. I used a screw and pulled out the original nut serts and put them back in in the shortened stock.

This looks great, srvctec! You inspired me to see if I could cut my stock down from the 14" LOP it came with to something around the 13" range (to keep from buying the Hogue 12" LOP stock + Limbsaver slip-on). It looks like it would work and I'd be able to keep my sling swivel mount as well, but how much did the Limbsaver pad add compared to the stock pad?

BryanForbes said:
This looks great, srvctec! You inspired me to see if I could cut my stock down from the 14" LOP it came with to something around the 13" range (to keep from buying the Hogue 12" LOP stock + Limbsaver slip-on). It looks like it would work and I'd be able to keep my sling swivel mount as well, but how much did the Limbsaver pad add compared to the stock pad?

Thanks!

The LimbSaver pad I ordered is the 10102 which is an inch thick- exactly the same thickness as the OEM pad. When cutting off 1 3/8" like I did, the closest fitting precision fit Limbsaver pads are the 10105 and 10102. The difference between these two pads is the 10105 is a "Speed Mount" that is about 5/8" thick with a sloped heel and toe and the 10102 is a standard pad an inch thick and shaped much like the OEM pad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

I took my 590 over to my friend's house tonight and he helped me shorten my stock from a roughly 14" LOP to 13" LOP. I haven't ordered the Limbsaver pad yet, so we just put the original butt pad back on for now. It looks a bit silly so I'll wait to post pictures until I get the Limbsaver pad on. It turned out to be a fairly painless process and, like you, I was also able to keep the sling swivel mount! Thanks for posting your experience: you saved me about $50 :).

I should also mention, now my 590 fits like a glove :D.

Have a question I haven’t seen asked answered;

If I intend to use a miter saw set at 90 d
Will the stock lay level
On its side without shimming?

Back